Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People take Teslas on road trips. I run up and down California and have already put 9500 miles on my Model 3. The long range combined with AutoPilot makes for a relaxing 340 mile drive in less than 6 hours. One 20 min stop, for an espresso in the Tesla Supercharger 40-stall plaza and I'm back on the road. Cost is $8.50 (espresso extra).
It will be awhile before Jag can offer an EV that can be your only car. Tesla is already there.

Yeah, this is a specific drive that works with the Tesla network. I'm sure there are specific drives that will work with the other EVs. However, try to drive to the Grand Canyon and see how it goes. Not fun. In 3+ years of EV ownership, we've fast-charged never. Not even once.

Yeah, this is a specific drive that works with the Tesla network. I'm sure there are specific drives that will work with the other EVs. However, try to drive to the Grand Canyon and see how it goes. Not fun. In 3+ years of EV ownership, we've fast-charged never. Not even once.

The Model 3 LR should be able to do that trip without any problems. Flagstaff to Grand Canyon and on to Page is about 210 miles, within the 310 miles range of the M3. 120kW superchargers are available at Flagstaff and Page.

Reactions: copyhacker
People take Teslas on road trips. I run up and down California and have already put 9500 miles on my Model 3. The long range combined with AutoPilot makes for a relaxing 340 mile drive in less than 6 hours. One 20 min stop, for an espresso in the Tesla Supercharger 40-stall plaza and I'm back on the road. Cost is $8.50 (espresso extra).
It will be awhile before Jag can offer an EV that can be your only car. Tesla is already there.

340 miles driving plus a 20 minute stop, in under 6 hours suggests a cruise at 60mph. The Jaguar, by all accounts, seems able to do this.
If that is your criteria for it being an only car, then it seems to me that Jaguar, like Tesla, is already there.

Of course, for some trips, it would require an extra 20 minutes, if you were limited to 50kW DCFC. But that is also true of Teslas - or no-one would ever buy or use a Chademo adaptor.

Footnotes:
Claimed realistic range : 240 miles.
Actual ranges achieved by journalists:
291 miles from 99% SoC, Top Gear Magazine, driving from London to Land's End (They added 10% charge during the trip, and arrived with 11% charge remaining).
200-205 miles, MotorTrend cruising at 70-75mph into strong headwinds, during the Low Countries portion of their London to Berlin drive.

It'll add 96 miles of range in 20 minutes at any charger of 100kW and up, and of course, there are 150, 175, and 350kW CCS chargers live on US and EU roads now. (Their official statements are "163 miles added per hour on 50kW", and 0%-80% in 40 minutes at 100kW and up).

Their official statements are ... 0%-80% in 40 minutes at 100kW and up

I want to hear that from someone who has done it. Even better would be people who have rapid-charged in hot / cold climates.

Tesla won't charge flat out from 0%, not good for the battery, and Tesla starts to slow down 70% to 80% (and significantly above that). My "90" is 41 minutes from 10% to 80%, so the claimed 40 minutes 0% to 80% would be very good.

For me to trip-plan I would want to know what that is, because the reality may be that with taper the sweet-spot is 10%-70%, so that's a 60% top up not an 80% top up. If it is actually linear from 0% to 80% that would be a significant marketing opportunity (provided it doesn't wreck the battery!)

340 miles driving plus a 20 minute stop, in under 6 hours suggests a cruise at 60mph. The Jaguar, by all accounts, seems able to do this.
If that is your criteria for it being an only car, then it seems to me that Jaguar, like Tesla, is already there.
Great! I look forward to seeing lots of emission-free Jags on this route.
I hear similar claims by Chevy Bolt folks. There's a lot more Bolts than I-Paces on Calif roads. ;)
I keep looking for Bolts on drives like this but none spotted yet. Lots and lots of Teslas. Saw 4 to 5 Model 3's on the drive home yesterday.

In 3+ years of EV ownership, we've fast-charged never. Not even once.
Do you have a Tesla, or a car capable of good (i.e.- 100+KW) fast charging and a decent network of chargomg stations to try out?

If the answer to any of the above is "Yes", then not having fast charged once is practically a shame... you should really give it a shot.

If the answer is "No", then I understand why you might think EV's aren't good for road trips... but would caution you that your overly broad generalization seems to be based on lack of any real first hand knowledge on the matter...

Reactions: S'toon
... of course, there are 150, 175, and 350kW CCS chargers live on US and EU roads now.
I don't know about Europe, but at least for 305KW stations in the U.S., while you are technically correct:

1) There's something like a grand total of three "public" 350KW chargers, in somewhat out of the way locations

B) It's unclear if any of them have ever been used anywhere near capacity

III) It's unclear if there's any vehicle that CAN actually use them in that manner

Fore) Even the vehicles supposedly in the works, they seem to be 800V architecture which means it's unclear even if future these chargers would ever be able to deliver at their rated output.

I haven't paid as much attention, but I wonder what the actual single car utilization of even the 150 and 175KW chargers are.

The Ioniq seems to be the leader in the clubhouse for CCS fast charging, and the report I read said it drew 60-70KW from a 175KW charger in Europe...

They're not long term reviews. They're short-term, and that's pretty clear. Gotta wait for Edmunds. I also really don't understand why people take EVs on long trips. It's just not the use case. That's like buying a 3500 diesel dualie when you live in a dense city, have no assigned parking, and drive around town for light shopping only.

The use case is whatever the users/buyers decide it is - and I'd argue the a Tesla with Autopilot is a better choice for a roadtrip use case than most ICE cars these days in most of the US and Europe.

Reactions: scottf200
Do not understand why people say that BEV’s cannot be used for long trips, the future is here and eventually you will not be able to drive an ICE. I understand that most people are lazy and do not want to deal with trip routing and things like where will we charge. Everything in life has trade-offs, it is a choice that we all can make.

Reactions: scottf200
The use case is whatever the users/buyers decide it is - and I'd argue the a Tesla with Autopilot is a better choice for a roadtrip use case than most ICE cars these days in most of the US and Europe.

Last year, I would have agreed with you. Now that many ICE vehicles have (honestly marketed) lane-keeping assist functionality, even inexpensive vehicles such as the Nissan Rogue compete rather well with the Tesla on well-marked four-lane highways... without the range anxiety and frequent pit stops.

ipace.JPG

Good stuff @J1mbo

Range was disappointing, for me. My P90D gets me 220 real-world miles (and that would be on cruise control at 70-75MPH ...) ...

... although if you were in bumper-to-bumper the AirCon would be using disproportionate amount - its a constant kW usage which is more, per mile, at slow speeds of course.

If your motorway speed 60-65MPH was you moderating speed, rather than traffic?, then that would be disappointing as it indicates range of 150 plus the 40 left in the tank on arrival.

Do you have percentage on arrival? that would give more accurate range calculation [than the "40 left" reading] (You said charged from 1/4 to full, but "40 miles left" doesn't sound like 1/4 to me ... but maybe there were some other charging etc. involved)

and any wH/mile for motorway sections at a steady speed?

I am not sure I would have shared your range anxiety. At most you would have needed a 10-20 mile "splash and dash" and even Type-2 wouldn't have been a very long stop but, yeah, Jag owners will be a lot better off when CCS is littered around the country.

Didn't see you on the telly ... if you took it ROUND Silverstone that would account for some range-loss :p

Reactions: Lokolo
is @J1mbo Jim Holder? If so, thanks for the review. Lots of comments about the tweets in the Facebook Jag i-PACE UK group. A couple of comments mention that the demo cars do not have the same battery as the production vehicle - I find the comments a bit suspicious.

I do think the estimator is a bit out of whack more than anything. You drove 150 miles, and had 40 left - what battery % was left? You then topped up to 100% and it said only 154 miles. Something doesn't sound right.

I do like it though, sorry to say I think I prefer it over the M3 (mainly due to the interior of the latter).

Lots of comments about charging infrastructure and hands up to Tesla, they have done a brilliant job with the superchargers. I wouldn't expect manufacturers to be the ones leading that, but a helping hand definitely. I would want to see Jag coming out with something, or at least partnering with someone for home chargers.

All-in-all, some mild off-road capability and interior aesthetics are a clear win for the Jag. But that comes at the cost of functionality - lousy touchscreen sat nav.

Charging infrastructure is the clear win for Tesla.

Nevertheless have ordered on i-Pace for the wife, who will use it about town and likely charge once/week at home. We still have the P100D for long range travel

I thought it looked pretty impressive (although I'm not an off-roader, so have no base-line to compare it with), e.g. in the Fully Charged video it looked like it could drive up the North face of the Eiger!
Indeed, will be interesting to see how the tighter control of the motors translates to off-road performance. Though would be delighted if the wife would just stick to the road and not curb the wheels....

Reactions: Riggald