Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "published rate" can be interpreted as the National ZEV Investment Plan put out by Electrify America (VW). That plan had 50-100 sites operational in Q4, 2017, and 150-200 sites operational today. That clearly didn't happen.
Thank you - have you got a link to that plan?

Porsche's own roll-out plan seems atm to be separate and additional to EA's. (I had expected it to be counted within the EA plan). I'm tracking down information on it as well..

The "published rate" can be interpreted as the National ZEV Investment Plan put out by Electrify America (VW). That plan had 50-100 sites operational in Q4, 2017, and 150-200 sites operational today. That clearly didn't happen.

I've only been able to find the current and April 2019 versions of the plan.

April 2017 : "2500+ non-proprietary chargers across 450+ individual stations". by end Q2 2019
Current: 300 locations by end Q2 2019, 484 by end Q4 2019.
The current plan seems to have slipped 5 months compared to the April plan, against a 26 month timescale.
If that slippage continues, it's looking like 240 locations in a year's time, rather than 300.

Fully Charged estimates probably 300 miles range in real life driving. Nice review from an experienced Tesla owner.

He's quoting the WLTP range, and he's... not the world's most aggressive driver. His first EV was an i-Miev, then he had a 24kWh Leaf, before he got his Tesla S 85. I suspect his driving style was formed by his first two vehicles.

Afaict, the only vehicle that has been officially tested on both a European and USA cycle is the Nissan Leaf.

If you apply the Leaf's WLTP:EPA ratio, you get an EPA of 254.

Jag's "realistic" 240 mile figure seems to have been supported by figures coming out of the other journos at the event in Portugal.

Then don't drive with it turned on. Put on music instead. I guess it's so BMW driver's don't get homesick, both have synthetic engine noise, but the BMW has an engine.
They might need an option for those i-Pace customers in Alabama, Mississipi & Louisiana to have synthetic V8 engine noise blaring out of external speakers, lest they get gay bashed...

• Funny
Reactions: Phillip L
Hmmm ... I allow 20 miles "comfort", so that's 200 miles range, if charged to 100%, and on an out-and-back that's a location only 100 miles away; 90 miles if charged to 90%

Being a pig-ignorant Brit I flew from New Newark to Philly (the first time I had to do that journey) because the flight was an hour (and I didn't look at a map). The flight was indeed an hour, 30 minutes taxing at Newark, 10 minutes flight, and 20 minutes taxing at Philly!!
And de-rate by 30% for cold/wind/rain, etc...

I went on Jaguar USA and built one.

$92k including delivery charges for one I would spec.

btw: their site says 240 mile range: 2019 Jaguar I-PACE - Our First All-Electric Car | Jaguar USA

I was on the Jaguar site yesterday, too, and "built" one for the fun of it. It was like I remembered from pre-Tesla days looking at new cars -- lots of options, and packages, with glorious and somewhat confusing names for many features.

Aside from that, I was struck by the difficulty of finding solid information about charging. On the main site where you can "build" your car, the very tiny fine print in the footnotes tells you that the charging features shown in the brochure do not apply in the US and direct you to jaguarusa.som. going there, I could not find anything about charging capability or infrastructure, and indeed very little about the iPAce at all -- all i found was a "concept" photo. I did not see the term "CCS" anywhere. Someone who had a smidgen of knowledge would be hard-pressed to find out anything meaningful about how one could charge a car here in the USA.

Maybe I did not spend enough time. But either way, there seems not to be much easily available info on how and where an owner would be able to charge this thing in the US.

Reactions: X Fan
Fully Charged estimates probably 300 miles range in real life driving. Nice review from an experienced Tesla owner.

Hmm. He actually said "...I think a completely plausible 298 mile range so here in normal driving I reckon sure I could get over 300 if your're really careful if you were feathering it and hypermiling it you could probably go over 300..."

So he seems to thing that up to 298 is "plausible,", but that you have to be careful or hypermile to get over 300.

I know this doesn't directly contradict what you said, but I'm not confident that 300 is a real world target either...

Reactions: X Fan and daktari
There are reasons to give credence to the EA plan, imo, and to believe that CCS will expand even more rapidly.

50kW CCS in the US grew from 115 locations at end 2016 to 1,100 locations currently, split between three operators, not incl. EA. (~650 locations per year)

EA had their first 350kW location go live a couple of months ago now. They are an additional operator to the biggest 3.
evGo has now broken ground on their own first 350kW location.

The EA plan is well-funded (VW's dieselgate penance money). Their plan seems conservative compared to Tesla's latest plan.

It would be really useful if EA published monthly or quarterly progress reports, but I'm guessing they won't, until the Audi e-Tron Quattro comes to market.

============
Footnotes:
Tesla had ~330 US locations at end 2016 after 4 years (~77 per year) , and ~600-650 at end 2017 (~120/year average run, ~300/year peak).
The latest announced plan says the rate is going to increase again, but I cannot find a break-out of figures for the USA.
Minimum of 4 stalls per location. ~7-8 stalls per average Supercharger location.

EA's plan for the next 18 months is for 484 locations, in groups of 3 to 6 in rural locations, and 4 to 10 in metro locations, for a total of ~2,700 chargers. It seems to be a mix of 350kW CCS only, and 150kW CCS with an additional 50kW Chademo outlet. (It could be that there are also going to be 50kW CCS with 50kW Chademo outlets in that ~2,700 figure)

(Going off Chargehub.com) Dealers seem to now make up <10% of the CCS infrastructure, and most locations are 2 charger, with more 4 charger locations than 1 charger locations. (Checking a couple of states thoroughly on Chargehub and Plugshare, plus random checks in a couple of other states)

Sorry of off-topic (not a question about the jaguar), but this is good info about the CCS rollout.
Question: Are the CCS chargers free? Or is it up to the individual landlords for each property where they are located (like Chargepoint)? Are they on one network, or will you need a fistful of RFID cards to make a trip, using CCS chargers on various networks?

Personally, I think the crazy-quilt charging infrastructure is a nightmare and it is interfering with EV adoption. Ultimately we need to come to the single protocol universal solution that is analogous to the gas station for ICE cars -- any car can buy gas at any station regardless of car make or gas brand. The multi-car CCS approach is starting to get there on the technology side, but not sure abut the network/payment side. And Tesla is not (yet?) playing in the CCS league....

Reactions: smac
Sorry of off-topic (not a question about the jaguar), but this is good info about the CCS rollout.
Question: Are the CCS chargers free? Or is it up to the individual landlords for each property where they are located (like Chargepoint)? Are they on one network, or will you need a fistful of RFID cards to make a trip, using CCS chargers on various networks?

Personally, I think the crazy-quilt charging infrastructure is a nightmare and it is interfering with EV adoption. Ultimately we need to come to the single protocol universal solution that is analogous to the gas station for ICE cars -- any car can buy gas at any station regardless of car make or gas brand. The multi-car CCS approach is starting to get there on the technology side, but not sure abut the network/payment side. And Tesla is not (yet?) playing in the CCS league....

I had the impression that EA was going to be the owner and operator of all the sites they are installing, presumably with their own method of identifying customers and fee structure.

My expectation is it will be a lot more than Tesla charges and likely more the equivalent gas prices to begin with, but we'll see.

I just watched, and realized you just said this.

The sound is fake... fail.

And de-rate by 30% for cold/wind/rain, etc...

The sound defaults to comfort, but then saves your settings based on a BT com with your phone. If you don't know there is a 'engine sound' option, you will never find it. Hence why some reviews don't have it on, and some reviewers don't mention it.

I'd de-rate that by 50% or higher on a closed course. It does have a heat pump and heated windshield glass though.

Only 220 mile range EPA. Pretty poor
There's still no EPA figure available, only a Jag estimate. My money is on 245 to 265 miles for the official EPA wen it's published. My forecast for publication is late July/early August.

The WLTP official range is available, and it's 298 miles.

If you use the Nissan Leaf 40kWh conversion factor for WLTP to EPA, you get a 254 mile prediction for the i-Pace's EPA

They might need an option for those i-Pace customers in Alabama, Mississipi & Louisiana to have synthetic V8 engine noise blaring out of external speakers, lest they get gay bashed...

Oddly enough there is a thread on this site requesting that Tesla put in an optional engine sound.

Luckily you hit on the one acceptable negative stereotyping allowed and endorsed in the US, the concept that Southerners are mostly white trash. While our only legally permitted 'racism' deals with a geocentric racial class, it appears not countries are like that. You'd have been surprised what I heard in France and England from the everyday middle class folk. Or perhaps not?

Ignorance, cruelty, racism and bigotry in Australia

Hmm. He actually said "...I think a completely plausible 298 mile range so here in normal driving I reckon sure I could get over 300 if your're really careful if you were feathering it and hypermiling it you could probably go over 300..."

So he seems to thing that up to 298 is "plausible,", but that you have to be careful or hypermile to get over 300.

I know this doesn't directly contradict what you said, but I'm not confident that 300 is a real world target either...
Yep, agree. 300 miles is a long distance. But still, 84 kWh usable capacity, same as my S90D. Probably 10% higher consumption, maybe lower in the city, higher at speed?

For those of us experienced with EVs I think we will see that 300 miles as a normal number, especially in traffic. The EV400 has 0.4g of regen. That's a lot. It can be set for one foot driving, has a heat pump, heated windshield, and 2 relatively small PM EV motors.

I don't understand this line of thinking.

Currently I can charge at Supercharger at 120-ish kW, or CHAdeMO at 50-ish kW. Yes I had to buy the adaptor, I've used it twice in two years (and public type-2 charging 3 times in two years) whereas I have used used Supercharger 63 times in the same period, so about 3 times a month. But I have the choice ... and where there is no Supercharger I can use CHAdeMO. There are plenty in the UK, but they tend to only be single pumps per site, so currently iPace is also going to be limited to using those 50kW-ish pumps.

In UK the Superchargers [according to Supercharger Info] are:

9 x 2-stalls (Newest was 2015)
6 x 4-stalls (Newest was 2015)
2 x 5-stalls
5 x 6-stalls
18 x 8-stalls
4 x 12-stalls
1 x 16-Stalls

The chances of being paired (and having reduced-charge-rate) is small, let alone the chance of finding all stalls occupied and having to wait. Car Dashboard shows the Status of sites (including # of free stalls) so can bypass a site if busy (and not urgently needing a charge). New sites are no longer being rolled out with few stalls.

I don't see how anyone would compare Supercharger to "Alternative" and find "Alternative" to be anything other than dismal, at present.

Undoubtedly 150 kW-ish CCS will be rolled out over time, but its going to take time measured in years, not months. Meantime Superchargers continue to be rolled out, further reducing the gaps in the coverage.

I think the Jag looks great, and will appeal to lots of people, existing Jag owners in particular, but away-from-home fast charging is not going to be viable for quite some time.

IMO, it's not as clear cut as one is viable, the other is dismal and not viable.

The UK has about a 4:1 CCS to Supercharger stall ratio, and covers about 4 times as many motorway service stations.

The Supercharger speed advantage over 50kW CCS requires fewer than 50% stall occupancy, or being first car to the charger.. (Although given how far back Model 3 deliveries to the UK have been pushed back, this won't be an issue there for years, mind you).

The UK roll-out for >50kW CCS *is* truly dismal, mind you. The first two are due to go live in Q4 of this year. Ecotricity's first is due for spring of next year.

Meantime, the USA has gone from zero at the start of last month, to 4 locations with a total of 22 to 26 chargers, split 50/50 between 150 & 350kW CCS chargers.

Something to note if you've driven a Bolt or Leaf or Model 3.

All set to max regen, all numbers per Motor Trend:
  • The i-Pace will regen from 60-10 mph in 5.7 seconds. (OPD) (103 kW?)
  • The Bolt will do it in 9 seconds. (OPD+paddle)
  • The Leaf in 12 seconds (OPD)
  • The M3 in 14 seconds, no One Pedal Driving mode.
If I understand it right the MS/X is even weaker.

Last edited:

There are currently 3 operators providing CCS at scale - almost all the 1,100 locations belong to one of those three.
EA are a fourth operator/
Porsche say they are going to run their own branded network of locations, too. 110 dealers, and the rest out in the wild. About half will be 350kW (not clear if its 50% of locations or chargers, but I'm assuming it's chargers, as the Mission E is one of the few 800V vehicles out there).

So that's 5 operators at scale, in 18 months time.

In the UK, Jaguar are attempting to get a use-any-operator's-charger thing going for i-Pace drivers.

Last edited: