Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 charging issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ken Lee

Mar 16, 2023
USA
Hi Guys

I am using tesla J1772 charger on my 2022 Toyota Bz4x.

There is a charging problem. any opinions? Thanks

Before I plug in the wall connector LEDs is on "Top green solid", after it plug in LEDs indicator turns to "charging in progress".

However, after few secs. LEDs switch to "waiting to charge, communicating with vehicle", and again about 1 sec LEDs switch to "charging in progress" , again few secs. later the LEDs switch to "waiting to charger, communication with vehicle"............and few sec later LEDs switch to "waiting to charger, communication with vehicle".

After many times LEDs switched, the LEDs stay in "waiting to charger, communication with vehicle", my car stop charging.

It sound like a communication problem. First things to try:

Check for debris on the plug and on the car’s port. Make sure the plug is FULLY inserted. If that does not fix the problem reboot the wall connector (unplug front the car, trip the breaker, wait a couple of minutes then restore power). Also reboot the car. Once everything is up and running try again.

It sound like a communication problem. First things to try:

Check for debris on the plug and on the car’s port. Make sure the plug is FULLY inserted. If that does not fix the problem reboot the wall connector (unplug front the car, trip the breaker, wait a couple of minutes then restore power). Also reboot the car. Once everything is up and running try again.
Thanks , I will try it.

my level 1 charger (comes with my car) works fine.

Just to clarify, a Level 1 charger is 120V, a Level 2 is 240V. I'm not sure if you really mean L1 or L2. Most cars come with EVSEs that support L1 and L2.

The "charger" is not the thing that you plug into the wall or the car, Everyone but Tesla refers to that as the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). The "charger" is actually inside the car for L1 and L2 charging.

In Level 3, aka DC Fast charging, the charger is indeed the thing that plugs into the car. It bypasses the car's onboard charger and hooks directly to the battery.

I know that this can be taken as just semantics, but it can help significantly when troubleshooting a problem.

The Tesla wall or mobile charger, as well as other EVSEs generally just provide a small computer that communicates with the car and tells the car what type of power it is about to connect. Before it allows the power to connect, it checks for correct wiring and any ground fault leakage that may be dangerous. Once these are satisfied, it closes some relays (hence the kerchunk you hear when charging starts) to connect the power to the car. The EVSE will still monitor for issues while charging.

In the Tesla and possibly other vehicles, the car monitors the charging voltage and if it sees it dropping the car will cut back how fast it is charging or just stop charging. A voltage drop is indicative of a problem that could cause a house fire, so definitely better safe than sorry. One common solution is often just tightening the screws on the plug in the wall.

Since you seem to be using the Tesla J-1772 wall adaptor, do you have the app connected to it? If so, does the app log tell you anything more? What does the Toyota say? It is possible that you may have a compatibility issue (I believe that there have been a few J-1772 communication issues in the past) but assuming that you aren't you may try things such as resetting the wall adapter. Turn the breaker for it off and let it sit for a few minutes before turning it back on.

Confirming that the Toyota works at other locations is important as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Acps110