Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla HPWC misbehaving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Australia here, I have several HPWC Gen 2 on my workbench (incl. a type 2 test box) and they all have the same issue:
You can switch them to Legacy (Type2) mode or to Tesla mode and both modes worked OK in the past.

But now we have the following issue:
1) The HPWC performs the self test (rotary switch on 0) OK.
2) The HPWC is not plugged in. the CP carries a constant +12V which is correct.
3) The HPWC gets plugged in and the CP carries a 1kHz signal with a duty cycle of 5% for exactly 4 seconds.
As far as I know the 5% duty cycle means for the car to switch to DC charging communications or in general to switch to a digital format communication instead of using the Type 2 1kHz hand shake.
4) If the car requests to charge (Tesla or non Tesla) within those 4 seconds the HPWC displays a red solid light. Well....all cars would request within 4 seconds.
5) After 4 seconds the CP switches from 5% duty cycle to a duty cycle according to the amp setting of the rotary switch. This is independent from the setting of Mode DIP switch2.
6) If the car requests to charge now, it works ok, the contactor closes and the green stream of LEDs is indicating charging.

There seems nothing obvious wrong with the hardware.
Could it be that they all develop a firmware problem?
I seemed to remember that the HPWC can be updated via the charging vehicle.....is this an update gone wrong?
Does anybody have schematic diagrams?

Attachments

• CP at 12V not plugged in.jpg
    CP at 12V not plugged in.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Plugged in CP 1kHz 5% Duty cycle for 4 seconds.jpg
    Plugged in CP 1kHz 5% Duty cycle for 4 seconds.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 19
  • CP switched to Charging within 4 seconds.jpg
    CP switched to Charging within 4 seconds.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Plugged in CP 1kHz Duty Cycle after 4 Seconds waiting to charge.jpg