Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Spring! Where's the Design Studio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, then you can see that I was sincere when I said I knew nothing about software! I'm sure they've got their best team developing a robust and world-class firmware system. Now if only I knew what firmware was . . . :smile:

I think the best definition, for these purposes, is "software that goes in embedded hardware". Your microwave oven has a microprocessor in it, and it runs "firmware". You wouldn't expect your microwave to run "apps". Firmware is rarely changed, and you have to go through a special procedure to change it.

Your PC can run zillions of different programs from different sources, and they are "software". It's a much more dynamic and flexible, general-purpose environment. As many have noted it's also a lot more susceptible to glitches and deliberate abuse (virus/spyware etc.).

Now the Model S touchscreen will reportedly be able to run some "apps", but they will be in an environment that is thoroughly isolated from the firmware that runs the car. By "thoroughly isolated" I don't just mean firewalls and other security (although I would expect that), I mean it runs on a completely separate microprocessor and it cannot be modified in any way by the end user.

I do also suspect, contrary to others' speculation here, that the drivetrain software is based on (but clearly updated given the hardware changes) the same software as in the Roadster and is carefully isolated from UI software via APIs. I've spent my life in software development (as many others here probably have too) and if it were me with a situation where reliability is so key, I'd be sure to evolve from what's already proven and tested rather than reinventing the wheel. Even if they did a rewrite (which I doubt given that it was already working well and would therefore only be necessary if the software environment had changed significantly), they would rely on extensive design work and test cases already hammered out with the Roadster.

+1. I'd go so far as to say that unless it was really horribly designed - and it sure doesn't work like it was - it would be utterly stupid to toss out the Roadster firmware and start fresh. Some products I've developed over the years have all been based on the exact same firmware base, even though three different generations ran on utterly different hardware. I just ported over the code, fixed the minor differences (port addresses etc.) and carried on from a base of production-quality code. It means you only have to worry about the things you add, or break, rather than having everything be suspect.

I'd go so far as to say that unless it was really horribly designed - and it sure doesn't work like it was - it would be utterly stupid to toss out the Roadster firmware and start fresh. Some products I've developed over the years have all been based on the exact same firmware base, even though three different generations ran on utterly different hardware. I just ported over the code, fixed the minor differences (port addresses etc.) and carried on from a base of production-quality code. It means you only have to worry about the things you add, or break, rather than having everything be suspect.

+1 That was my thought too.

Hello all...I'm new to this fantastic forum. With my first post i wanted to get you all excited.
I've been told today that the design studio for model s is nearly finished and going to be up in a few days...So get excited all :)
I think they would announce a big event a few days prior to opening the design studio to present the release candidate.

And of course this is IMHO ;)

I'm excited!

In the Spring a fuller crimson comes upon the robin's breast;
In the Spring the wanton lapwing gets himself another crest;

In the Spring a livelier iris changes on the burnish'd dove;
In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.

In the Spring no longer a need to whine;
In the Spring you can your car design.

In the Spring at last we'll raise a cup;
In the Spring the website's finally up.

In the Spring Tesla finds great success;
In the Spring we'll see the Model S.

(apologies to Tennyson!)

(apologies to Tennyson!)

Wow fantastic! A real renaissance man!

Larry

(apologies to Tennyson!)

Both Alfred and Elon - though centuries apart - would be proud :smile:

Some Sig holder have received the email to plan an call to lock in their options.
Does Tesla really want them to do that without having them check what all the interior options look like ? Even on a computer screen ? Weird...

There are ways around that. Maybe they have glitches so they don't want to turn it on for everyone, but can turn on full access for a single account. Or maybe they'll push the buttons for you per your instructions during your phone call - they could have a crude spreadsheet interface and you'd just see the polished output.

Some Sig holder have received the email to plan an call to lock in their options.
Does Tesla really want them to do that without having them check what all the interior options look like ? Even on a computer screen ? Weird...

Yes, I thought that too. They do have it available in store though. Perhaps till it's available online they expect the first 40 buyers to come into the store. Not easy for those that are not local. There are creative solutions to get around that though.

Since they are ramping up slowly I doubt they would be inviting more than the first 40 to build their cars before it's available online.

It was actually pretty cool that you can configure it on a smaller side screen and then send it to the huge screen in the center of the store. I thought that was a neat trick the web team created.

It was actually pretty cool that you can configure it on a smaller side screen and then send it to the huge screen in the center of the store. I thought that was a neat trick the web team created.
I haven't been in any of the stores yet -- do you have the option of entering an email address?

Would be great to get a couple of hi-res rendering photos in your inbox showing your configured car, so you can change computer desktop backgrounds, perhaps print them out, etc.