Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is waiting 2 months+ for P90D parts normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P85 was rear ended last September. The replacement parts, including the rear floor pan took about a week to come in (twice, as there were two separate orders).

I suspect parts delays are not a general thing but sometimes there are specific delays.

Yep, right there with ya man.

Mine was 6 days old when someone backed into me. It wasn't 2 months though, sheesh. It took them I think 3 weeks to get the initial quarter panel in. Since it was drivable during that time, I just waited until the body shop called to let me know the parts were in. So when they called, I took it in and got my rental car. It was supposed to be a 3 week repair job. The day before 3 weeks was up, the body shop calls and say, "Ummmm, we ordered the wrong quarter panel. Sorry." So in other words, they didn't even start on it until right up until the original completion date. Then it took Tesla another 2 or three weeks to get the right quarter panel (on an "emergency order").

So yes, you are in good company. They are so focused on making new cars, and so anything else comes secondary...unfortunately.
How is body shop ordering wrong part tesla problem?

Yep. Much as I love my car, this is a primary reason I'm leaning against buying another Tesla in the future. The service folks themselves are great (well, mine are), but everything else like getting parts, parts pricing, loaner availability, time to schedule service, repair times, and so forth is really poor.

Tesla has figured out how to build and sell EVs, but they can't seem to figure out how to handle existing customers.

Last edited:
How is body shop ordering wrong part tesla problem?

I never said it was, just venting about the whole situation. It took 3-4 weeks for the quarter panel, and then another 2-3 weeks on the "emergency order".

And to be honest, it still is kind of Tesla's fault on the rear quarter panel (but mainly still the body shops). The body shop manager said that Tesla is constantly changing things mid stream and alot of the times don't tell the body shops that a part that was previously used for a car pre-"specific date" is different now. So they ordered the same rear drivers side quarter panel that they always have for the drivers side rear, but apparently mine was the first dual motor drivers side rear quarter panel that this shop had replaced. And it is different from the S85s. They didn't realize it until they went to put it on and some things did not match up. So a little on both.

But in the end, Tesla still takes way to long to get out replacement parts.

I wonder how much of that still applies, given there are now several cars in that price range made of, primarily, aluminum, and BMW moving to carbon-reinforced polymer. Chevy's Bolt, at around the same price, is a mix of steel and aluminum. Paired with the advantages of their existing aluminum tooling, I suspect it'll end up in the middle, similar to the Bolt, with partial-aluminum construction.

Problem is, Tesla is a new-gen company with -- probably -- a lot of young employees. Youngins who probably didn't work on their own cars like us older folks have. Car repair is a good ol' boy job. So the youngins at Tesla didn't realize -- "oh hey, you know what? aftermarket is going to need parts for repairs". Or even worse -- "What? You can repair cars? I thought you just had to buy a new one like an iphone." At the same time, good ol' boys who are perfectly happy working on Ford pickup trucks don't have a lot of respect for Tesla, and hold a lot of preconceived notions like thinking it's just a toy car for rich people who won't need a repair right away and thinking a Tesla should cost 10s of thousands of dollars to repair. And they are happy to oblige on both points.

If I wanted to make a killing on a new business, I would start a Tesla repair shop. It would be cheaper than the others and repairs would be done pronto, assuming I could get Tesla to take their thumbs out of their you know whats and ship me parts (I would pester them incessantly for the parts that are needed, which most repair shops I'm sure are not doing). But I'm already making good money as a software developer, and I don't miss the cuts, bruises, and grease under the nails.

Some day this will get straightened out. But might still be awhile.

Hopefully I've managed to successfully offend everyone with this post, both young and old (not really trying to offend, just giving ya a hard time). What can I say? Just keeping it real...

Last edited:
Yep. Much as I love my car, this is a primary reason I'm leaning against buying another Tesla in the future. The service folks themselves are great (well, mine are), but everything else like getting parts, parts pricing, loaner availability, time to schedule service, repair times, and so forth is really poor.

Tesla has figured out how to build and sell EVs, but they can't seem to figure out how to handle existing customers.
This. Best driving car ever. Worst car to own if there are problems(and a problem free Tesla is pretty rare).

180 Turn Around!

UPDATE! The regional service manager reached out to me. She completely turned this whole mess around. Got the parts, liaised with the repair shop, and got my car back on track. The service went from being miserable to world class. I now feel much better about ownership.

UPDATE! The regional service manager reached out to me. She completely turned this whole mess around. Got the parts, liaised with the repair shop, and got my car back on track. The service went from being miserable to world class. I now feel much better about ownership.
Good news. Sorry it took so much effort, but hopefully you'll have your MS back soon. Thx for the update.