Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a P85D+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told that the Senior Executive had this. If you think about it they are able to do it with the smaller motor in the front for a normal P85D. The P85D+ is indeed 940HP. This is the secret that Elon Musk is talking about at earnings...

If true, it only took one month for P85D owner's cars to get outdated , I wonder how many pissed off P85D owners there will be because they no longer have the latest and greatest (it's just a never ending cycle...) I wonder if the spike for demand would be from those existing owners trading back yet again to get the best of the best lol

If true, it only took one month for P85D owner's cars to get outdated , I wonder how many pissed off P85D owners there will be because they no longer have the latest and greatest (it's just a never ending cycle...) I wonder if the spike for demand would be from those existing owners trading back yet again to get the best of the best lol

Such is life.

Exactly, maybe this is a controlled leak by Tesla because they need some P85Ds for their CPO program.

The improvement would be marginal though. For P85 and P85+ owners, the upgrade to the P85D is noticeable in terms of acceleration, refinement, and stability in adverse road conditions. Going from a P85D to a P85D+ might knock some tenths of a second off the 0-60 time, but does anyone really need their internal organs squished at an even quicker rate? I don't see "same car, slightly faster" as being a massive surprise that will get lots of people to trade in.

I don't see a P85D+ as a massive demand driver. Model X is what IMO will really push demand, because there are a large number of people (as evidenced by the 20k reservations) who want the extra seats and storage space of an SUV. In a market where CR-Vs now outsell Civics, the Model X is going to open the floodgates of demand.

I dunno. Its not all about a crazy fast car pushing demand itself, but more like the buzz generated by having such an insane car is basically free advertising. Thus, just as spending money on advertising can be used to drive up demand, so can free press.

The improvement would be marginal though. For P85 and P85+ owners, the upgrade to the P85D is noticeable in terms of acceleration, refinement, and stability in adverse road conditions. Going from a P85D to a P85D+ might knock some tenths of a second off the 0-60 time, but does anyone really need their internal organs squished at an even quicker rate? I don't see "same car, slightly faster" as being a massive surprise that will get lots of people to trade in.

I don't see a P85D+ as a massive demand driver. Model X is what IMO will really push demand, because there are a large number of people (as evidenced by the 20k reservations) who want the extra seats and storage space of an SUV. In a market where CR-Vs now outsell Civics, the Model X is going to open the floodgates of demand.

People that buy Tesla's P85D don't NEED a 700HP Car. Many D owners have multiple cars. I can assure you the $198,000 fully specced P85D+ will sell.

There was nothing wrong with the iPhone 5, but everyone has the 6 ;)

People that buy Tesla's P85D don't NEED a 700HP Car. Many D owners have multiple cars. I can assure you the $198,000 fully specced P85D+ will sell.

There was nothing wrong with the iPhone 5, but everyone has the 6 ;)

I'm sure people would buy a P85D+. I just don't think the jump from P85D to P85D+ is nearly as great a leap as P85 to P85D or P85+ to P85D.

I do not agree with the iPhone analogy, because the iPhone 6/6+ offers substantial and obvious improvement over the 5, including: higher resolution 4.7 and 5.5" displays with noticeably superior color quality, viewing angles, and contrast, TouchID, mechanical OIS in the 6+ camera, longer battery life, Apple Pay wireless transaction technology, and faster WiFi. Compare an iPhone 5 side by side to an iPhone 6, and there is a stunning difference both visually and during usage.

Unless the P85D+ has significant upgrades other than the powertrain, it's difficult for me to see how people would get really excited about an incremental improvement. If the driver gets in the car and is greeted with the same seats, same steering wheel, same displays from the P85D to the P85D+... its mostly the same car. It might be slightly quicker, but the acceleration and handling on the P85D are already superb. Now someone stepping from a Model S to a Model X... I bet that is going to be a stunning difference, with a much more functional interior, exotic doors, and tons more passenger and cargo capacity.

Such a version with dual large motors seems like an obvious evolution. I'm not surprised that this car already exists, but I would be surprised if it was offered to customers before Q3 2015. This may be the un-named feature of the Model X that will not be revealed until delivery--and needed to hit high performance numbers in the larger vehicle.

And wow, people really have strong views about chrome wraps!

If the theory of a P85D+ turns out to be true, it seems to me to be an odd initiative for Tesla to pursue at this point in time. The P85D has already settled the question of EV performance vs. gasoline performance. The point has been made. Even so, the car buying public is still hung up on range, not understanding that Tesla drivers use a different approach to to fill & drive than gasoline drivers do—different even than drivers of other EVs.

A more critical issue for Tesla than HP or 0-60 is what the EPA's range numbers for the D-series cars will come in at. Tesla gave the impression that the D would have better range than RWD, and that may be the case with Torque Sleep, but if not, Tesla may have to rethink their strategy on the RWD Model S. Personally, I think they made a mistake in dropping the P85. In many parts of the country, AWD is unnecessary. And for many drivers, the P85+ was overkill.

It made sense to replace the P85+ with the P85D, but the RWD P85 should have been continued. Here's why:

1. Different front and rear tire sizes (required for summer tires on the P85+ and P85D) are, to me, a line that is not worth crossing for a car used as a daily driver. Mind you, this is coming from a 3-time Ferrari owner, two of which had staggered wheels. For an all-out performance car that is not a daily driver, sure, go for it. But for daily use, the performance benefits of wider rear wheels are outweighed by higher tire costs and the inability to rotate tires. And we are still waiting to hear about EPA range.

2. A fully equipped P85D is in the neighborhood of $130K. While this price may seem reasonable when compared to gasoline sports cars with similar power and performance, a hole has been created between the S85 (5.4 sec 0-60) and the P85D (3.2 sec 0-60). The P85 would have filled in nicely between these two models (4.2 sec 0-60) and offered plenty of power, the convenience of uniform tire sizes, and a considerably less expensive vehicle.

While I appreciate that Tesla wants to keep pushing at the top end, reminding the public and the automotive press that electric propulsion is truly superior to gasoline, I'm concerned that Tesla may be pushing into a limited, rarified market. After all, would you rather sell ten thousand $130K cars or fifty thousand $110K cars?

The existence of this car should not bother you. Customers should be happy. Again, it is not a matter of necessity. As per Elon Musk, even he acknowledged at earnings that the car is unnecessary. Will the car sell? Absolutely. Just give the P85D to your girl. A man NEEDS the latest and greatest. The difference between a boy and a man is the price of his toys!

The existence of this car should not bother you. Customers should be happy. Again, it is not a matter of necessity. As per Elon Musk, even he acknowledged at earnings that the car is unnecessary. Will the car sell? Absolutely. Just give the P85D to your girl. A man NEEDS the latest and greatest. The difference between a boy and a man is the price of his toys!

I don't think the existence of this car bothers anyone, aside from maybe people who hate the custom gold stuff around the body panels :biggrin: I just don't think it is going to be a big demand driver, for reasons I stated above.

The "latest and greatest" is going to be Model X. If having the newest is important to you, which would you rather have: the car that has the same exterior and interior as tens of thousands of its siblings on the road (P85D+), or the biggest & baddest Tesla with all new design and features that won't even be revealed until shipping day... and a waiting list so long that even if people reserve today, they won't get their car for a year (Model X)?

- - - Updated - - -

Now you're in for it...

ROFL... I was going to say that giving the girl "second best" as a gift is a good way to get tossed overboard :biggrin:

This thread can have some rest.

I confirmed locally that its a customer's car. The + was added by him. There is no such thing as a P85D+ and technically its not possible to source enough current from a 85 kWh battery to source two 470hp motors at the same time.

I think our new member @PrivateBanker (welcome aboard) with 10 posts (all in this thread) is having a little fun on us. Maybe its his own car?

This thread can have some rest.

I confirmed locally that its a customer's car. The + was added by him. There is no such thing as a P85D+ and technically its not possible to source enough current from a 85 kWh battery to source two 470hp motors at the same time.

I think our new member @PrivateBanker (welcome aboard) with 10 posts (all in this thread) is having a little fun on us. Maybe its his own car?

Ah well, the speculation was good for some entertainment. I don't understand the need for "sticker" upgrades... its like people putting Si badges and DOHC VTEC stickers on their R18 Civics.