Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a P85D+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speculation can be fun (and FWIW I like the chrome, can't deal w/ the stripes).

When I was a kid I had a Karman Ghia. Fun car that I enjoyed working on (and it needed a lot). A mechanic friend told me about a 911 that had been flattened and was in a local parts yard. Engine & drivetrain were still in good shape so I bought it and put the Karman Ghia body on it. Fun car. Some people didn't like getting smoked by a Karman Ghia that was in sore need of a paint job. :)

You're kidding right? I think the highest I've ever seen someone suggest that Tesla charges for custom colors is $18k. If you assume this cost $5k (which seems low given that clear PPF can cost up to $10k for a full wrap) you're suggesting that Tesla is charging $50k for a custom color. Wraps can certainly be cheaper than custom paint jobs, but they are most certainly not 1/10th of the cost. I don't see any pitchforks either. I just see people giving their opinion. For what it's worth I stand by my opinion, it's attention seeking. The + badging should settle any doubts.

Im not kidding - if you are paying $5K for a wrap, you're getting ripped off. They should be $2,000 to $3000 max. And, $10K for clear...anyone paying that much is REALLY getting ripped off...so perhaps 1/10th is a little short on the estimate, but its certainly not $5K or $10K like you assume. Im curious how you can make your claim with such certainty - I have wrapped several cars through a local (very busy) car shop - you are wrong.

And, the custom colors are permanent and not easy to second guess...unlike a wrap that can be pulled off to attract a wider audience once you decide to resell. The bigger question for me is why is it that as soon as somebody does something different it has to be labelled negatively to those that disagree with the choice or perhaps dont understand it? The "Attention seeking" label seems like an effort to understand something that isnt your taste - given the cost of the car, if attention is what they are seeking, they could have easily chosen something that would attract more "attention" such as a Ferrari or Lamborghini....probably even had enough left over for a chrome wrap (as long as they did not use your source).

The pitchfork comment isn't singling you out - but lets review the comments more broadly before it goes into speculation about the + (although you have your own spin noted as well)...for the most part this thread is really just a bunch of negative comments. Its a forum so its gonna happen but it just amazes me how rude people can be because someones taste isn't their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Speculation can be fun (and FWIW I like the chrome, can't deal w/ the stripes).

When I was a kid I had a Karman Ghia. Fun car that I enjoyed working on (and it needed a lot). A mechanic friend told me about a 911 that had been flattened and was in a local parts yard. Engine & drivetrain were still in good shape so I bought it and put the Karman Ghia body on it. Fun car. Some people didn't like getting smoked by a Karman Ghia that was in sore need of a paint job. :)

You were ahead of your time. Cars like that restored you can see bo to auction and get real money...considered "restomods" - effectively making a car better than it ever was coming out of production. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The chrome and badging look really cool, though over-the-top for my taste.

The fact that the picture names as uploaded to the website are "Full_Size_Render.jpg" suggest that they are software-created renderings, rather than unaltered digital photographs.

thats actually some sort of iPhone picture transfer to a PC. I just did that with some pics myself and the default file name was exactly that.

Im not kidding - if you are paying $5K for a wrap, you're getting ripped off. They should be $2,000 to $3000 max. And, $10K for clear...anyone paying that much is REALLY getting ripped off...so perhaps 1/10th is a little short on the estimate, but its certainly not $5K or $10K like you assume. Im curious how you can make your claim with such certainty - I have wrapped several cars through a local (very busy) car shop - you are wrong.

How is that possible? Clear wraps are $1,500-2,000 for just the hood and front bumper and fenders. Or more. The entire rest of the car is a lot of surface area to cover - at least twice as much. So that means $4,500-6,000 at a minimum if you're figuring by the sq ft which is how every shop I talked to pretty much guesstimates the price.

You're saying it costs the same to wrap an entire car with color as it does just the front with clear. I can't fathom that's possible unless it's a really quick and cheap job that doesn't look great.

How is that possible? Clear wraps are $1,500-2,000 for just the hood and front bumper and fenders. Or more. The entire rest of the car is a lot of surface area to cover - at least twice as much. So that means $4,500-6,000 at a minimum if you're figuring by the sq ft which is how every shop I talked to pretty much guesstimates the price.

You're saying it costs the same to wrap an entire car with color as it does just the front with clear. I can't fathom that's possible unless it's a really quick and cheap job that doesn't look great.

you can pay more. Feel free to do just that. $2000 to wrap a front end is high as well - even a custom cut wrap with no seams shouldn't cost more than 1200 to 1500 max - thats with quality materials...don't shoot the messenger.

I dont do it for a living but I have paid to have several cars wrapped and it just simply doesnt translate in terms of cost comparison to a front end wrap. Perhaps its because wraps dont finish as nice or stand up as well as clear bras....the materials aren't as durable and they usually look great but fail under close inspection - especially if you did a big change (think light to dark of visa versa). Its true people pay more (not as much as you guys are suggesting) and it can creep into $4000 territory and over if you are expecting full removal of parts during the wrap process (think bumpers etc) or if you want to wrap door jams etc, but in the end that added cost doesn't translate to a much better job.

The materials change shape and size with temp changes and despite the fact that the material has a 5yr (typical) expected life it doesn't take long for it to start showing signs of wear....this is likely why its not cost wise comparable to a clear bra wrap.

Heres an example...this was under 3000.00 - white was the stock color...and I moved to hot rod black with a wrap.
IMG_4156.JPG
photo.JPG

Last edited:

I'm no expert, but I've been quoted in the $2-3k range for full wraps, both color and clear, from reputable and recommended shops. Tesla's hood wrap cost is inflated.

I've spoken with every Xpel installer in my area and it's $1,700 and WAY UP from there for the front including full hood. One shop gave me standard prices for each piece and it added up to $1,850, it wasn't a "Tesla price". I asked one for a full wrap and the best price was $5-7k. I've been reading about Xpel prices for 4 months or more and nobody is paying less than that.

I'm not shooting you for disagreeing - I want to learn more. Please don't take my disagreement with any sort of aggression or ire. Like I said I've spent a long time researching prices online, and have spoken with 5 installers in my area and none would be anywhere in the $2k price for a full clear wrap. Only two were under $2k for the front alone!

I've spoken with every Xpel installer in my area and it's $1,700 and WAY UP from there for the front including full hood. One shop gave me standard prices for each piece and it added up to $1,850, it wasn't a "Tesla price". I asked one for a full wrap and the best price was $5-7k. I've been reading about Xpel prices for 4 months or more and nobody is paying less than that.

I'm not shooting you for disagreeing - I want to learn more. Please don't take my disagreement with any sort of aggression or ire. Like I said I've spent a long time researching prices online, and have spoken with 5 installers in my area and none would be anywhere in the $2k price for a full clear wrap. Only two were under $2k for the front alone!

Yup same here. I'll point out that a 911 is a lot smaller car, thought is should be more annoying to do the wrap on because of all the stuff on the back.

The clear wrap quote I got was closer to $3k, IIRC*, but check out Clear Auto Bra of St Louis. They've been doing a *lot* of Teslas, and from what I've seen of their work first hand, it's excellent.

*May not have been for a 'full' wrap, now that I think about it, but pretty close. Definitely at least both bumpers, hood, and fenders. Maybe doors included, can't remember. If my initial post was misleading, it was unintentional, and I do apologize.

Direct link to samples of their work on Teslas: Tesla Archives - Paint Protection Film St. Louis | Clear Car Bras Installers | 3M XPel Paint Protection - Clear Auto Bra

Last edited:
Yup same here. I'll point out that a 911 is a lot smaller car, thought is should be more annoying to do the wrap on because of all the stuff on the back.

Ive wrapped other cars as well hence the range I gave - clear and colors. Perhaps the California market is more competitive although, we tend to pay more for most things here...so I'm at a loss if thats the case. I can only tell you that what I'm sharing is consistent with costs. Xpel is a good product; however, they aren't the only game in town....3M has some very competitive offerings so maybe Xpel installers are choosing to charge a premium....

ClearBra vs XPEL vs 3M vs Clearshield - TintCenter.com

Last edited:
The only way I see highlighting a Model S' lines is if you can somehow pull off an LED that's recessed into the lines (not on top like the tape lines).

I'm trying to explain a blink or pulse effect, Front to Back, Symmetrical along the body-lines of the car. Maybe start a pulse around the Nose-Cone and then down along the lines of the car ending at the license place or something... Sorry, a video would show this instantly, easily.. Couldn't find one on Youtube.

Hmmm, like, if there's 30 LED's to a single Strip, each LED lights in succession and then fades out after say, 3-4 LED's light up. So a say, 1 metre/foot whatever of light that pulses down the body-lines. Thinking TRON blue style.

LOL! I started writing this/looking for a video when this post had 3 pages, I hit 'Post' and my message is on page 10. LOL alrighty, my comment seems waaaay out of place now..

Last edited:
Isn't this wrap called black chrome? I saw a aventador vid that had a similar wrap.
Not sure if its the same wrap though, but I think its been popular for quite some time now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Car was back in today after an intense day at the Dyno. Scored 947 LB-FT! I assure you the Car is real. All the Naysayers are probably corporate trying to keep a lid on it, I just happen to pass by at the right time.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4642.JPG
IMG_4641.jpg

947LB-FT on the Dyno.