Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to stop auto present handles when pushing the park button?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
great idea! eventually the car locks up after you hit park, and to let people in, having to go to the controls and unlock takes a while... Just hitting the park button again on the stalk to toggle back to unlock, brilliant.
apparently this is now a feature in Firmware 6.1

I wand to report that they did. All it takes now is to push Park, even if it's already in Park, and the door handles present. I hope the people who needed this have noticed it was done.
Tesla heard us. And they fixed it. Thanks, Tesla!

Can anyone else with 6.1 confirm?

apparently this is now a feature in Firmware 6.1

Can anyone else with 6.1 confirm?

I have 6.1, just tried it. (2.2.115)

This is what I got it to do: Press the Park stalk button to park the car from Drive. Handles present automatically. Lock the doors via the Controls screen. Press the Park stalk button again and the doors unlock and handles present. Pressing the Park stalk button again (once or multiple times) doesn't do anything. Pretty cool!

Maybe if you let the car timeout while sitting in it (like waiting for 10-15 minutes) and the handles have automatically retracted, maybe pressing the Park stalk button would present the handles, just guessing. I don't have a chance to try this right now.

Hopefully they'll make pressing Park again Lock the doors and retract the handles too......

-m

I have had this idea for a long time now - to use the (mechanical) park button push as a lock/unlock toggle switch when the car is in park. The button currently becomes useless once the car goes to park, having to go to the touch screen to lock/unlock is not as convenience as reaching the park button.

If only the idea could reach Elon's ears. If he likes it, I am sure it can be out in the next release :D

What I'd like to see in addition to this, is when transitioning from drive to park, the car does not unlock (but of course you can still pulling the inside handle to open the door). It is rare that I want someone to be able to get into the car when I press park, but when I do, it's just a matter of pressing park twice.

What I'd like to see in addition to this, is when transitioning from drive to park, the car does not unlock (but of course you can still pulling the inside handle to open the door). It is rare that I want someone to be able to get into the car when I press park, but when I do, it's just a matter of pressing park twice.

^^ Agree with this. Park shouldn't automatically present door handles. Putting into Park should put the car into Park. Pressing the Park button subsequently should toggle between presenting and retracting the door handles. Also, someone external to the car should not have the ability to touch a retracted door handle to have it open if there is someone inside the car and the car is in Park. These additional options can be toggled on/off as features so that everyone is happy.

I don't understand the need for this. What are you doing with your right foot that you can't keep it on the brake? One second is a long enough time to move one's foot from the brake to the accelerator. Is it a strength or fatigue issue??

The hill assist only holds the brakes for 1 or 2 seconds, then lets go. That doesn't help at all when you are standing on a red light and have to keep your foot on the brake to make sure the car isn't rolling. VW has a very nice and convenient 'auto hold' feature that is much better than hill assist. When you slow down the car and come to a stop, it will hold the brakes for you once the car comes to a full stop. And it will release it again as soon as you hit the accelerator. It works all the time and 100%. It makes driving in a city so much nicer. You don't have to always keep the foot on the brake. It took me a little to get used to it and trust it, but then I just loved it and used it all the time. Of course it was an option that can be turned off. I believe the BMW i3 does it the same way.

I don't understand the need for this. What are you doing with your right foot that you can't keep it on the brake? One second is a long enough time to move one's foot from the brake to the accelerator. Is it a strength or fatigue issue??

More likely it's a boredom issue. I can't see that happening at a light, but at a railroad crossing with a 130 car train that decides to back up at about car 60...

You could say the same thing about cruise control. Is that a strength or fatigue issue? Neither, it's a convenience issue.

Last edited:
Did this issue get fixed in 6.2? I noticed a couple of times recently needing to press the park button twice to get the handles to present (but usually when doing it under conditions of traffic mayhem so I didn't have the time to check carefully what is going on).

Playing with it this morning, I can't quite work out the behaviour; certainly going from drive to park with my foot on the brake normally doesn't present the handles (and a second press of the park button does), but sometimes the handles will present on the first press - maybe reverse is different? If nobody else has the answer I will have to play with it a bit more.