Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the X Finally Here? (

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's too early for Tesla to be showing Model 3. Somehow I have a feeling that Tesla has learned from past mistakes with the S and the X to not show their cars too early. Look how long it took for for the S to go into production and we're still waiting for the final version of the X and I watched the X intro back in 2012!
I do think they will show the dual drive stuff, driver assist stuff and perhaps a reveal of the production X but I wouldn't hold my breath for the last one let alone Model 3.

I think it's great when they give us an early preview. But I agree, we won't get to see the Model 3 this week.

From what I've been reading and hearing around the Interwebs, it seems like it's unlikely we'll see a Model X at this event. The reveal seems to be focused on a dual-motor Model S (i.e., AWD) and a high-performance Model S (the "other" thing). While it would be great to see a Model X there, it really doesn't seem to be the focus. And there's no chance of a Model 3 reveal; way too early. We got our e-mail invite (as non-sig Model X reservation holders), and we're definitely going, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

From what I've been reading and hearing around the Interwebs, it seems like it's unlikely we'll see a Model X at this event. The reveal seems to be focused on a dual-motor Model S (i.e., AWD) and a high-performance Model S (the "other" thing). While it would be great to see a Model X there, it really doesn't seem to be the focus. And there's no chance of a Model 3 reveal; way too early. We got our e-mail invite (as non-sig Model X reservation holders), and we're definitely going, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

That doesn't make any sense to me. I think it's obvious they are going to be announcing or showing something to do with the model X. That is why they invited the sig res holders in my opinion. But can't wait to see nonetheless...

Where did you hear that "something else" is a high-performance Model S? A car with a P85D badge has been spotted, yes, but since it has a D on the end, that's likely the D that Elon referred to. That may indeed be dual-motor AWD, but I'm not sure what other evidence there is of that.

I think it's very likely that we're going to hear about driver-assist functionality. That's because new cars have a couple of driver-assist feature and some sensors that are thus-far unused, and Tesla hasn't said anything about that, yet. Perhaps that's the "D" or perhaps that's the "something else".

The other possibility for "something else" is the Model X, since production is right around the corner, and alpha vehicles should have been built by now, given what Tesla said in their last shareholder letter.

I will be upset if they show a super car Model S and not the Model X which has over 21,000 reservations.

I would not hold my breath for an X reveal on the 9th, I have a feeling that would warrant its own event. Having said that, why invite all these X reservation holders if there is no X reveal?

Could be a Delay in the X, but get the S AWD instead. Maybe they don't want the X's myself included to Bolt. Lock them all in a room with their checkbooks and Paypal accounts. :eek:

It would be a bad idea to get the model X signature reservation holdere onto a already overbooked Model S production.

As longer Tesla can keep the reservation holdere on X Signature, jo more time Tesla benefits of the free "loan" each of them have deposited.

And better Signature value, will make it even more popular when Model 3 is launched. Tesla can then get Even more free "loan" from Custmers.

X Signature is also by today sold out in EU and NA, and it do not look to good if they have to reopen, because 50% have bought a model S AWD instead.

News flash, "Tesla have problems - Custmers is canceling the Signature Model X, what have happend...."

For me it doesn't make sense to show the Model X and the Dual Drive S at the same time as they will take attention away from each other and dilute the impact they would have individually. Although the fact the Sig holders are invited suggests they must both be there.

For me it doesn't make sense to show the Model X and the Dual Drive S at the same time as they will take attention away from each other and dilute the impact they would have individually. Although the fact the Sig holders are invited suggests they must both be there.

I am a sig holder and I am NOT invited. so I do not think that statement holds true.

Every single media report I read has ZERO mentions of a potential Model X final prototype reveal tomorrow night. Kinda baffles me. I take all the media stuff with a grain of salt... but ever since Musk tweeted the "D", all we are hearing is "AWD Model S" this and "Driver Assist" that... and a possibility of a Model 3 reveal.... I start thinking they really may stiff us once again! I just don't know how they can ignore it and show off so much EXCEPT the X. It's been 2.5 YEARS now!

Unless they are really keeping things secret (like Apple used to do back in the day before their events) and show us a final X prototype. All the invites to X sig reservation holders and some others, it seems like a no-brainer to show it off. But there has been absolutely nothing to chew on this last week about an X reveal.

I really hope I'm pleasantly surprised tomorrow night! It's been an incredibly long wait.

Ok. vent over

...... All the invites to X sig reservation holders and some others, it seems like a no-brainer to show it off. But there has been absolutely nothing to chew on this last week about an X reveal.

I really hope I'm pleasantly surprised tomorrow night! It's been an incredibly long wait.

Ok. vent over

Certainly not all sig X holders invited :-(

Every single media report I read has ZERO mentions of a potential Model X final prototype reveal tomorrow night. Kinda baffles me. I take all the media stuff with a grain of salt... but ever since Musk tweeted the "D", all we are hearing is "AWD Model S" this and "Driver Assist" that... and a possibility of a Model 3 reveal.... I start thinking they really may stiff us once again! I just don't know how they can ignore it and show off so much EXCEPT the X. It's been 2.5 YEARS now!

Unless they are really keeping things secret (like Apple used to do back in the day before their events) and show us a final X prototype. All the invites to X sig reservation holders and some others, it seems like a no-brainer to show it off. But there has been absolutely nothing to chew on this last week about an X reveal.

Ok. vent over

I completely agree. This video interview of Elon shows that this event has nothing to do with Model X or Gen III. Elon tends to be be fairly truthful, so we'll have to wait a bit longer to hear details about the Model X. However in my opinion, they're starting to run out of time. Just not sure why they're focusing their time/resources on improving an already amazing vehicle when they have could further the Model X or Gen III. Seems like a nice to have, but definitely not a top priority.

Elon Musk Hints at Plans to - YouTube

Them taking down the Model X Signature reservation button just now suggests this date has at least some relevance to the Model X story. We will see how much or little, but I guess introducing "D" as a family thing with Model X would make sense, even if today won't bring huge MX news yet?

Given all the evidence we have, I'm not expecting anything on the X tonight. Elon did say it would be about 2-3 months from alpha to beta, but knowing his optimistic timelines I'd err more on the 3 month side. This would mean they are about a month away from building Model X betas. I would start to expect a Model X reveal sometime around the middle of November. The ideal timing for an event would be just before the LA Auto Show opens when the automotive press is already in Los Angeles.

I agree, we won't likely see any Model X production car today. Elon's interview makes that much clear. But I wonder if we get anything info-wise...

Considering the excitement generated from the "D" announcement, it would be a bad PR move not to mention something about the Model X. Tesla now has the AWD in place, a new improved production line, and by all accounts all the elements needed to begin production of the vehicle. It is time to step up and give a realistic timetable for those that have been waiting patiently.

I would consider it fair if Elon says something like "We want to thank the patience of those people that are holding a Model X reservation and want to assure you that formal announcements will be coming within the next two months."