Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Premium Audio Worth the upgrade?

Is the Premium Audio worth the $2,500 upgrade?

• Yes: the Premium Sound is worth it.

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • No: the Premium Sound is not worth it.

Votes: 38 27.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I said, when I first got it, I wasn't happy with the tone, but I did notice that the vocals on several songs were significantly better than my HK audio in my E350. The overall audio tone in the E350 was way better, but the vocals in the MS were clearer and I felt like there was more range and I could hear more subtle notes. Now that the bass has improved the overall tone sounds better, but the bass isn't as good as my '09 E350.
Really? My E320 (2009) also had the HK system in it, with the thin sub mounted in the trunk in the deck behind the rear head rests. I was never able to get the sub to sound like a sub... it added a bit of bass, but frankly only added enough to sound like a car with a good speaker system and no sub. Hardly a premium system in my opinion and could never be configured to add any thump to music.

I'm finding that the upgraded system in my MS is much superior and was from Day One. I agree with your thoughts about breaking in the speakers though - I think they sound better now than at delivery but who knows if firmware upgrades have contributed to that! I'm also getting better at selecting the settings based on what I'm listening to...

I'm not convinced the improvement in sound matches the upgrade price, but I just couldn't live with the base system...

Really? My E320 (2009) also had the HK system in it, with the thin sub mounted in the trunk in the deck behind the rear head rests. I was never able to get the sub to sound like a sub... it added a bit of bass, but frankly only added enough to sound like a car with a good speaker system and no sub. Hardly a premium system in my opinion and could never be configured to add any thump to music.

I'm finding that the upgraded system in my MS is much superior and was from Day One. I agree with your thoughts about breaking in the speakers though - I think they sound better now than at delivery but who knows if firmware upgrades have contributed to that! I'm also getting better at selecting the settings based on what I'm listening to...

I'm not convinced the improvement in sound matches the upgrade price, but I just couldn't live with the base system...

My front speakers have a lot of bass. Definitely not equivalent to having a sub, but they sound way better than a lot of cars I've been in.

I haven't had any firmware updates on mine since I just got it, so it's definitely a non-software improvement.

FWIW, I won't be opting for the UHFS when/if I order.

It just doesn't seem worth $2500.

That and SAS (which may or may not be worth it, but long-term repair costs are what put me off that one). Everything else looks good to me, including next-gem seats (convinced after a test drive).

I definitely debated getting it and $2500 did seem questionable. I figured it would sound pretty good, and if it didn't I would have the 6 extra speakers that the car was designed to hold. Having someone modify the car to fit an 8" instead of a 6" and add 6 more speakers would be costly and wasn't appealing to me. Definitely a personal choice though.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I can't seem to find any information of a tear-down of the hardware in the premium audio for the Model S. The closest I could find was a review from a self-described audiophile on teslarati.com, on his 2014 Model S found here The Sound in the Tesla Model S - TESLARATI.com . Perhaps this guy's is the same system as your 2013, because he seems to love it a lot. I must say I have never gotten to experience a 2013 Model S premium sound system, so I wouldn't know. Perhaps ignorance is bliss!

We couldn't find very much information on the system teardown, either. So we decided to just dig in and see what we found. We made some videos so others wouldn't have to go to extreme lengths to figure things out like we did. You can see the videos on this thread:http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/52010-Model-S-Premium-Audio-System-How-To-Videos.

As for the original question of whether or not the premium sound upgrade is worthwhile, the benefit of having the premium system installed is that you have a much better wiring harness in the case you want to upgrade the speakers or secondary amplifier.

We couldn't find very much information on the system teardown, either. So we decided to just dig in and see what we found. We made some videos so others wouldn't have to go to extreme lengths to figure things out like we did. You can see the videos on this thread:http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/52010-Model-S-Premium-Audio-System-How-To-Videos.

As for the original question of whether or not the premium sound upgrade is worthwhile, the benefit of having the premium system installed is that you have a much better wiring harness in the case you want to upgrade the speakers or secondary amplifier.

2500 upcharge for the privilege of ripping out the goods and upgrading them?

Not for me.

I am not, btw, disputing that running harnesses is a ton of labor. Just not worth it for me.