Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model S made for Canadian winters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that since the 7.1 update the car will no longer shift into neutral while driving - it just beeps and stays in drive. Not a big deal really, just a heads up to practice feathering the go pedal in case you hit an ice patch ...

Update: The car will shift into neutral with a "half" push up; a full push up just beeps. This is actually better/easier and makes me wonder if the mistake has been mine all along ...

Last edited:
I've noticed that since the 7.1 update the car will no longer shift into neutral while driving - it just beeps and stays in drive. Not a big deal really, just a heads up to practice feathering the go pedal in case you hit an ice patch ...
Yet another reason to stay on 7.0

I'm guessing someone accidentally put it in N and raised hell, but this would be the first car I've ever driven that didn't allow you to do that, and from a safety point of view it's really not good.

Yet another reason to stay on 7.0

I'm guessing someone accidentally put it in N and raised hell, but this would be the first car I've ever driven that didn't allow you to do that, and from a safety point of view it's really not good.

Yes but in most cars, having it in "D" means that its engaged and accelerating, even with your foot off the pedal. In a Model S, foot off the pedal means you're regenerating, or perhaps coasting if regen is disabled, either way not accelerating unless going downhill. I don't think Neutral was ever meant to truly be used while driving. Its more of a towing, carwash and other non-driving event mode.

I know the first few days of driving I knocked it into Neutral accidentally thinking it would engage my windshield wipers. I'm suspecting this is meant to prevent that.

Yes but in most cars, having it in "D" means that its engaged and accelerating, even with your foot off the pedal. In a Model S, foot off the pedal means you're regenerating, or perhaps coasting if regen is disabled, either way not accelerating unless going downhill. I don't think Neutral was ever meant to truly be used while driving. Its more of a towing, carwash and other non-driving event mode.

I know the first few days of driving I knocked it into Neutral accidentally thinking it would engage my windshield wipers. I'm suspecting this is meant to prevent that.
One of the biggest recommendations on dealing with skids is to put the car in to neutral, this eliminates any torque to the wheels which might interfere with recovery, It is even more important in the Tesla as removing your foot from the pedal gives full regen and feathering it perfectly is quite difficult to do while trying to recover a skid whereas in an ice the "creep" is much less dramatic than our regen.

Neutral is also a fail-safe whenever the car is doing something you don't like, eg a stuck accelerator pedal.

I'd much rather accidentally put it in neutral a few times than not be able to in an emergency situation.

One of the biggest recommendations on dealing with skids is to put the car in to neutral, this eliminates any torque to the wheels which might interfere with recovery, It is even more important in the Tesla as removing your foot from the pedal gives full regen and feathering it perfectly is quite difficult to do while trying to recover a skid whereas in an ice the "creep" is much less dramatic than our regen.

Neutral is also a fail-safe whenever the car is doing something you don't like, eg a stuck accelerator pedal.

I'd much rather accidentally put it in neutral a few times than not be able to in an emergency situation.

In the middle of an emergency skid, who has the coordination to change the gear of their vehicle? In any kind of skid, you really need both hands on the wheel. I searched several different top recommended sites on dealing with skids, and only one made mention of putting it into neutral "if you can".

The other thing to consider is the Model S is a completely drive-by-wire car. In a normal car, yes, clunking the gear selector into N mechanically shifts it into neutral, preventing the engine from transmitting anything to the wheels. In the Model S, there's no transmission. When you hit the gear selector it sends a software signal to the motor to tell it not to do anything with all that battery juice. When you put it into R, it sends signals to reverse the polarity, etc. At the end of the day, flicking that little stick up may not do as much as you think, even if your software dashboard shows you a nice "N".

I think all this talk about neutral not being available any more while driving is a false alarm. I just tried it on 7.1 (2.9.154) and I had no trouble shifting into neutral at speeds up to 83 km/h (didn't try it faster). Maybe the OP who thought they disabled neutral hit the lever too far upward and the car refused to shift into reverse or too far downward, which would just leave it in drive. Maybe it's disabled at higher speeds or only on AWD cars or something, but I really doubt it - it's a basic car feature, in the manual, no mention of a change in the release notes, etc.

In the middle of an emergency skid, who has the coordination to change the gear of their vehicle? In any kind of skid, you really need both hands on the wheel.
Luckily this all seems to be a false alarm, but in answer to your question, with the Tesla shift lever it only takes one finger extended out from your hand which is on the wheel to make this change, it's not something anyone should have difficulty doing while maintaining both hands on the wheel.

Yup - false alarm, sorry. I had always just pushed the shift lever all the way up and it would go to neutral. Pushing it all the way up doesn't shift to neutral anymore, but all it takes is a gentle half push up. Probably user error on my part.

Yup - false alarm, sorry. I had always just pushed the shift lever all the way up and it would go to neutral. Pushing it all the way up doesn't shift to neutral anymore, but all it takes is a gentle half push up. Probably user error on my part.
Hard to call it user error, because it's a definite change in the way it works, and therefore should have been in the release notes. On 7.0 pushing half way up does nothing, you have to go all the way up, making it the opposite on 7.1 should at lease merit a line in the release notes!

So its -35c this morning in Saskatoon. Lets see some Model S cold weather pictures or movies from there.
Stay warm. :smile:
I wish I could oblige, but I don't have one yet. Got all bundled up for my morning walk.

I think there are 2 in the city. I've never seen them, never seen anyone else on the board from here.

I turned my automatic folding mirror feature off for the season so I have not seen the issue. I also put the wipers up before I leave the car parked outside. I find it easier to clean the snow off the lower windshield with them up.
I'm sure someone here should be able to figure out a fix to prevent the ice from building up on the mirror. Silicone spray, white grease? Plastic weather strip? Custom mirror booties (socks)?

I picked up a set of frost blockers ( frost blocker windshield protector - Google Search ) from Costco in Bellingham, WA for $15 USD ($5 off last week). It is basically a nylon sheet with plastic backing you wrap around the sideview mirrors with elastic fabric to cover the windshield and it includes two mirror booties to cover the sideview mirrors. I've used a frostblocker on my truck the last three years and it works great...I picked up a spare one for the MS in case I need to use it when I drive the MS to work and it starts snowing. Not sure of a good solution to prevent ice on the door handles or window seam of the door...maybe a bit of Gibbs lubricant will work. I use Gibbs lube for just about everything around the house and on my truck. Gibbs Brand Canada Penetrating Displacement Inhibitor Lubricants

- - - Updated - - -

I'll take some pics of the frost blocker on the MS with windshield and mirror covers and post later.

Hard to call it user error, because it's a definite change in the way it works, and therefore should have been in the release notes. On 7.0 pushing half way up does nothing, you have to go all the way up, making it the opposite on 7.1 should at lease merit a line in the release notes!

The two versions of manuals that I have, 5.8.2 and 7.1, both say exactly the same thing:
Push the lever up or down to the first position and release to shift into Neutral. Neutral allows Model S to roll freely.
... and that's how it has always worked for me. The shift lever is labeled R at the top, D at the bottom and N in the middle. I don't think anything has changed here since day one.

The Canadian winters here in Vancouver present no issues for my Tesla. :smile:
I thought the year in Vancouver went Spring-summer-fall and then back to spring, I wasn't aware that Vancouver ever got winter?

- - - Updated - - -

The two versions of manuals that I have, 5.8.2 and 7.1, both say exactly the same thing:

... and that's how it has always worked for me. The shift lever is labeled R at the top, D at the bottom and N in the middle. I don't think anything has changed here since day one.
That's true when parked, however when moving it behaves slightly differently I believe.

A couple of days ago it was so slippery...

I was at a stop light. My wheels were straight and the road was level. The light went green and I eased onto the throttle. The stability control kicked in for my front left wheel. Front??? It's an RWD car! How does that even happen?

Did I say it was crazy slippery?