Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 85D worth the additional $10k over the 70D?

Is the 85D worth the $10,000 upgrade from the 70D?

• Yes; the 85D upgrade is worth every penny

Votes: 94 66.2%
  • No; the 85D is not worth the extra cost

Votes: 48 33.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It also is almost a second faster 0-60. How much do you usually pay for that alone on an ICE?

Like I said earlier I'd personally consider that worth it but many people who are more practical than I am will opt for the 70D. All I'm saying is that I can understand for some how they will not be able to justify a $10K difference for just a small increase in range. They need to make the mid level Model S more compelling IMHO either with a price adjustment or a range increase.

Isn't that a personal preference sort of thing, is it worth it to YOU?

For me? It wasn't worth it.
Performance: The 70D has a little more HP than my current car, and it's in range with the types of cars I was looking it. Someone had a great analogy in another thread: If you're coming from a high end german car, the 70D will seem underpowered. If you're coming from a "regular" car, the 70D will feel perfectly fine.
Range: For $10k, we can take my wife's ICE SUV, and over 8-10 years of planned ownership still come out ahead paying for gas in the SUV.

That analogy is wrong on so many levels. I am coming from a BMW household. I am currently finishing up a least on an X5, before that it was a 5 series. I went with 70D and it beats both of the BMWs and any other cars I have driven in the past.

To the OP, take a seat drive and see if you notice the added performance.

- - - Updated - - -

70D wasn't available when i ordered in March. I might have gone that way. In retrospect im glad i didn't. Made a trip to socal this last weekend and the leg between Harris Ranch and Manteca was tight.

The percentage of charge calculated from Harris to Manteca left me with 15 miles of rated range left at Manteca due to headwinds and 90 degree plus temps and range mode on which reduced AC and driving 65mph with the trucks.

I would have never made it in a 70D with out a way longer charge time. Harris Ranch was having problems with 2 chargers anyway so we had to wait for an open bay.

I charged to 170 rated miles with the segment being around 134 miles.

On the 70D pack the taper is going to make you wait longer at superchargers to get the same level.

I am glad you like the 85, but you don't know if the 70D will charge slower. No 70D were delivered yet so you're making a claim that is not based on anything more than a guess.

- - - Updated - - -

I am also interested in what others have to say. Currently I am looking for an inventory loaded 70D. But an inventory bare 85D (not sure if they exist) is also passable for me. Personally the extra options are not really necessary but it would be a nice to have.

Here are my nice to have:
1) Premium package. (Really just for the power lift gate. The other stuff I really don't care for) --- $3000
2) 19 cyclone rims (supposedly increase the range slightly according to Tesla. Others have said it doesn't really matter) --- $2500
3) Air Suspension (to reduce road noise as some here has mentioned. Range increase on HWY is moot) --- $2500
4) Panoramic roof (I just like to have as much natural lighting as possible) --- $1500
5) Blue Color (personal color preference, would also be fine with a white) ---$1000

All these adds up to $10.5K which I can put towards a bare minimum S85D which has:
1) More performance
2) More range
3) Probably faster supercharging capability

CPO cars are not really in the running because I rather have AWD and new.

My ultimate goal is to get max range with minimum cost and maintenance. If this is the case, most would easily recommend get the bare minimum 70D and be done with it, but I rather pay a little more for the extras. This will be my car for the next decade or so and I would much rather have something nice to last me through the decade. : )

If it was up to me (and that is the exact same choice i faced recently) I'd go with the upgrades which is what I did. The range and performance differences are minimal and the upgrades make the car that much better..

I look at it this way. For longer trips over a few hundred miles, I prefer to rent a car and put the extra mileage on the rental or fly and rent a call locally. For the $10k I am saving, I can get 200 rental days at $50/day which is average IMO. Also consider the higher resale value lower mileage is going to get you...

For daily driving 240miles is PLENTY!

Actually now that I read some more data, I think I might just splurge on the 85D. Here is why:

1) base on this thread, it looks like the 70D will still do the 10%-80% in 40 minutes, equating to 192 miles range at 80% charge. This means you get an EXTRA 21 miles between the 85D and 70D which you can use to a) drive faster, b) drive further at slower speed, c) charge in 35 minutes vs 40 or what not, or d) use for better climate control (AC/Heater/etc).
70D owners, what's your supercharging speed (or reliable data from Tesla)?

2) base on this thread, it looks like the 70D is more efficient in the city but less on the highway. I don't know why anyone would care about city efficiency when you have a tesla. If you have a LEAF or other city BEV, then I would understand you optimizing for city driving because you are bounded by the city. But you have a tesla, your real concern is really HWY driving! If you are in the city, chances are you are close to plugs/superchargers and can easily get charge. For me I would rather have max highway efficiency because right now, that is my limitation. Who knows, if one drives the 85D only on the highway, they might get better than the EPA range. The 70D would increase my efficiency over the lifetime of the car because the car will mostly be driven in the city. However for the time when I need it to be efficient, i.e. on long road trip, it will perform worst. I think this seals the deal about 70D or 85D for me. 85D is most likely the way to go for me now.
70D vs 85D MPGe | Forums | Tesla Motors
Gas Mileage of 2015 Tesla Model S

The 2nd reason is really what sealed the deal for me. I understand why tesla chose to make the 70D more city efficient, but I think it's for all the wrong reason. Sure the car might get EPA 240, but we know it could've had more HWY range if they optimized for highway and sacrifice the city a bit.

Base on these broken out numbers, the max EPA HWY range for each car is:
70D HWY range - 201.5 miles
85D HWY range - 252.34 miles
85 HWY range - 218.24 miles
60 HWY range - 162.86 miles

here is how I calculated:
(Battery Capacity * 95%)/(EPA KWh/miles).

so far example:
(85KWh * 0.95)/(0.32KWh/mile)

5% for reserve capacity which tesla does not let you use. I don't know if it's 5% but I think this is a good number to use.

If you are looking at the numbers, you can see you are more than 40 miles difference between the 85D and the 70D. More than the EPA 270 vs 240.

Last edited:
IF this is the case, then why not just get a BMW i3 or some other BEV. They will most likely satisfy your range and when you don't have enough, either 1) get the REX version of the i3 or 2) find a SAE combo charger for fast charging. It will definitely save you money over time even if you have to pay for those electrons.

Yes the Model S is a nice car, but if I was in your situation, I would be completely fine with some cheaper EV.

For me the ability to do long range travel and quick charging is what really makes the Model S appealing.

IF this is the case, then why not just get a BMW i3 or some other BEV. They will most likely satisfy your range and when you don't have enough, either 1) get the REX version of the i3 or 2) find a SAE combo charger for fast charging. It will definitely save you money over time even if you have to pay for those electrons.

Yes the Model S is a nice car, but if I was in your situation, I would be completely fine with some cheaper EV.

For me the ability to do long range travel and quick charging is what really makes the Model S appealing.

I cannot think of a EV that has the space and the options of a MS.

You'll love anything, but here's my opinion as an owner since December 2012: get the 85D for the range, not for the perf or charging speed. In my opinion (it's worth what you paid :)), the minimal car for you is: 85d, pano roof, tech package.

Acceleration or speed: not worth the upgrade to 85d

I started with an original S85, and recently traded in for an s85D. The D is faster than the original s85 but the S85 was plenty fast, faster than almost all other cars, especially considering it's incredible acceleration from start. The 70d specs match the s85, so perf is just not a reason.

Charging speed: crazily not worth it.

People complain about the different charging speeds, and even on the 85 worry about what version battery pack they have. Generally it's only going to make a few minutes of difference, so is 10 minutes of your time worth $10,000? Not to me :).

Range: definitely worth the upgrade to the 85.

I'm so happy I got the 85, when even the salesmen were telling me that I should get the 60. The range is the most important factor. When you go on your first long trip, that extra range for piece of mind is huge.

Pano roof - if you live in a place where the weather is every nice, which I suppose is everywhere, you'll love the pano. Even in Seattle it's worth having.

Tech package - you want that for the self driving features coming soon. I would have dropped the electronic tail gate that seems almost pointless.

Options I wouldn't get again:

I had the air suspension on my original car and the new one. I probably wouldn't get it, as it just seems not important enough.

upgraded radio - I didn't get it on my first one, I got it this time, I probably wouldn't get it again. Unless you are a true audiophile (I'm far from it), there seems little reason to get it.

21" wheels - this seems to be actively a bad idea, probably lowering value, based on the frequency of flat tires and rim breaks.

The original poster in this thread was going to get different hubs but 19". That just seems like a waste, use that money toward the 85 for more range!

You'll love anything, but here's my opinion as an owner since December 2012: get the 85D for the range, not for the perf or charging speed. In my opinion (it's worth what you paid :)), the minimal car for you is: 85d, pano roof, tech package.

Acceleration or speed: not worth the upgrade to 85d

I started with an original S85, and recently traded in for an s85D. The D is faster than the original s85 but the S85 was plenty fast, faster than almost all other cars, especially considering it's incredible acceleration from start. The 70d specs match the s85, so perf is just not a reason.

Charging speed: crazily not worth it.

People complain about the different charging speeds, and even on the 85 worry about what version battery pack they have. Generally it's only going to make a few minutes of difference, so is 10 minutes of your time worth $10,000? Not to me :).

Range: definitely worth the upgrade to the 85.

I'm so happy I got the 85, when even the salesmen were telling me that I should get the 60. The range is the most important factor. When you go on your first long trip, that extra range for piece of mind is huge.

Pano roof - if you live in a place where the weather is every nice, which I suppose is everywhere, you'll love the pano. Even in Seattle it's worth having.

Tech package - you want that for the self driving features coming soon. I would have dropped the electronic tail gate that seems almost pointless.

Options I wouldn't get again:

I had the air suspension on my original car and the new one. I probably wouldn't get it, as it just seems not important enough.

upgraded radio - I didn't get it on my first one, I got it this time, I probably wouldn't get it again. Unless you are a true audiophile (I'm far from it), there seems little reason to get it.

21" wheels - this seems to be actively a bad idea, probably lowering value, based on the frequency of flat tires and rim breaks.

The original poster in this thread was going to get different hubs but 19". That just seems like a waste, use that money toward the 85 for more range!

Great thoughts! Thanks! I'm with you on the 19"s; tech package/auto pilot features; pano roof (I'm in FL). I'm debating right now between the SAS and the Premium Audio. I can add some serious audio for $2k, so I think I'm going with the SAS. It should also add to resale value too - but I hope to keep it a while. We'll see.

I'm debating right now between the SAS and the Premium Audio. I can add some serious audio for $2k, so I think I'm going with the SAS. It should also add to resale value too - but I hope to keep it a while. We'll see.
If you're thinking about resale value, recognize that the SAS might be a feature or it might turn out to be an Achilles heel. Only time will tell. However, if you put the value of the SAS into a good Xpel wrap or equivalent, pristine paint at resale *will* have some value!

If you're thinking about resale value, recognize that the SAS might be a feature or it might turn out to be an Achilles heel. Only time will tell. However, if you put the value of the SAS into a good Xpel wrap or equivalent, pristine paint at resale *will* have some value!

I agree on the SAS but wraps may also be an Achilles' heel years down the road...

Paint Armor removal experience???

Good thoughts too. I'll be opti-coating my baby when she gets home.

Again, I think the geofencing with the SAS is worth the upgrade cost.

Back to the OP - I'm completely sold on the 85D now - I haven't even driven one. I drove the 70D - plenty fast. i can't wait to feel the 85D and I'm going to purposely NOT drive one until it's mine! :)

Iam in the same boat right now today is my last day thought it was last night at midnight, But looks like I have the rest of the day today! If I am going to keep this car for 10+ years with battery degradation being a concern is why considering the 85D might be a good middle point on range. Wanted to stay as close as possible to 80K AND I am definitely not rich, but this getting to be a really hard call. I am going to a showroom in Atlanta right now to test it out .....We will see!!!!!

Modest range boost wasn't worth the money for me since 95% of the time I drive under 50 miles per day. Certainly I can understand "range is king" for folks who use the car differently. I was worried a bit that the 70D was going to feel sluggish - I need not have worried about that. It's at least as quick as the BMW M3 I used to own, and that's plenty quick enough for me!

Poll results are off, because it assumes that for extra $10,000 everyone has to work same amount of time. But it's not the case. Some of us can make $10,000 in aftertax savings within couple of days, and some need few months... Basically the more person makes, the easier it is to justify higher price.

I am also interested in what others have to say. Currently I am looking for an inventory loaded 70D. But an inventory bare 85D (not sure if they exist) is also passable for me. Personally the extra options are not really necessary but it would be a nice to have.

Here are my nice to have:
1) Premium package. (Really just for the power lift gate. The other stuff I really don't care for) --- $3000
2) 19 cyclone rims (supposedly increase the range slightly according to Tesla. Others have said it doesn't really matter) --- $2500
3) Air Suspension (to reduce road noise as some here has mentioned. Range increase on HWY is moot) --- $2500
4) Panoramic roof (I just like to have as much natural lighting as possible) --- $1500
5) Blue Color (personal color preference, would also be fine with a white) ---$1000
================

Responding to No2DFuel’s “nice to have” list:

1) Premium Package -- For the lift gate alone, worth it for me, worth it for my wife, maybe not for athletic types who don’t need it. I forget what else the package includes – some interior stuff, good because the interior is otherwise kind of Spartan.

2) Cyclone rims: more efficient? I also heard that from a Tesla dude at Santana Row in ’13. No way. Tesla now denies this rumor. This is simply an alternative wheel, netting Tesla a couple $K of your money for a different, not better, 19-inch wheel.

3) Air: How could you buy a 100K car and not add an advanced technological feature for a lousy 1.5 percent? You wouldn’t, of course. Now, if you’re looking at a CPO and it doesn’t have it, how much will you be missing? Not much. I have it, can’t say it rides better or quieter. I do like the geo-aware auto-raise feature a lot.

4) Pano. I got pano and like it for the light. Fine for cruising through redwood country, closed the rest of the time. Wouldn’t miss it if I didn’t have it and I would hate it if it made creaky noises like a loaner I drove, but mine’s quiet for now and works fine.

5) Color and finish highly personal. I think MS’s of every color look great. White is the safest and the most heat-efficient, so for some, that makes it an easy decision.