Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 2023 Model X suspension just not refined?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought some wider tyres for the new alloy wheels I bought, but same aspect ratios (I have 20" on the Plaid X I just got) so 275 45 20 front and 285 45 20 rears... will report back if this helps the suspension seem any smoother, it may help! Also some titanium nuts and lighter but thicker brake rotors also (thanks unplugged). All that lower rotational mass may make a difference I am hoping...20 lb a corner lighter (at least) so let's see. Expensive fix but..

Reactions: Leek4u
I just bought some wider tyres for the new alloy wheels I bought, but same aspect ratios (I have 20" on the Plaid X I just got) so 275 45 20 front and 285 45 20 rears... will report back if this helps the suspension seem any smoother, it may help! Also some titanium nuts and lighter but thicker brake rotors also (thanks unplugged). All that lower rotational mass may make a difference I am hoping...20 lb a corner lighter (at least) so let's see. Expensive fix but..
That is awesome! Please let us know how it goes. Curious if you are going to have any rubbing with the larger front tires. Are the wheels the same 9" front and 10" rear with the OEMs? Which tires are you going with?

Ah I didn't see this, I ordered the pilot sport 4 suvs summer spec tyre as this is the summer wheel set. The all season appalling ones on the poor cast wheels the car came with will be swapped back in in November when it starts to get cooler in the Bay Area. For snow use I will use the iX as the radiant heat package makes a nice difference and i actually get longer range out of the iX anyways in all conditions. Haven't fitted yet. Waiting on the alloys. They are 9 and 10 inch staggered respectively, so about half inch wider increase.

As far as quality, panel gaps and rattles I got lucky with this one. I can't find anything big, and zero rattles (except of a balloons rubbing together noise from the falcon doors that I fix weekly by applying leather conditioner at their bottom where they meet the frame).

This is absolutely the opposite of the previous 2023 MX I had, which I had to create a long list of imperfections and rattles that were fixed after several service center visits. So it is kind of a lottery it seems!
You know... weirdly most of my panel gaps are ok. There's a few that are frankly obviously incompetent or would be considered unacceptable in another car brand. No squeaking yet but wholly understand some will come in due course..

I have a 23 MXP and have no rattles or squeaks over bumps at any speeds. The only issue I had was a vibration between 77-82mph. I took it to Tesla on two separate occasions and they said they balanced the wheels and performed an alignment on the visits. I took it to americas tire and the front right was out of balance by over an ounce 🤦🏼‍♂️

I have a 23 MXP and have no rattles or squeaks over bumps at any speeds. The only issue I had was a vibration between 77-82mph. I took it to Tesla on two separate occasions and they said they balanced the wheels and performed an alignment on the visits. I took it to americas tire and the front right was out of balance by over an ounce 🤦🏼‍♂️
Did that fix it?

I have a 2018Model S P100DL and a 23 MXP and the suspension is hugely different

It’s really something I hate about the X when compared to my S. The X feels like it’s rough, poorly engineered and sadly uncomfortable.

I really wonder if it’s the tires, or the wheels or the suspension itself.
PS: I have 20s on both cars

It is poor, agree. I have an iX and it is light years ahead in terms of refinement. Different car, different use cases. Give me the Tesla drive train and software stack in the BMW and I would have the perfect car... but yep, its pretty poor in terms of perceived quality and NVH compared to any European air suspension set up
This is exactly what im trying to explain to fanboys. Tesla still cant build and paint quality cars consistently. We, as owners, need to speak up instead of kissing Elon Fraudster's ass. The thing is, bmw ix, i4 is still gen 1. what will happen to Tesla in 3-4 years once german learn more and more about EV. Fanboys can screenshot this and get back to me in 3-4 years.

Reactions: fishy21
This is exactly what im trying to explain to fanboys. Tesla still cant build and paint quality cars consistently. We, as owners, need to speak up instead of kissing Elon Fraudster's ass. The thing is, bmw ix, i4 is still gen 1. what will happen to Tesla in 3-4 years once german learn more and more about EV. Fanboys can screenshot this and get back to me in 3-4 years.
Will report back with the lightweight wheels and upgraded brakes (RB package) and see if that helps any, should be a stack of rotating weight off the suspension, even though tyres are up to 275 and 285...

Will report back with the lightweight wheels and upgraded brakes (RB package) and see if that helps any, should be a stack of rotating weight off the suspension, even though tyres are up to 275 and 285...
It will help but the question i have, is this acceptable on a 100k+ car. I have m3p and im going around and fixing rattles as tesla is useless and every time i go there they scratch inside of my car...😡. I think im just asking tesla to finally, after all these years, build quality cars. Is it really too much to ask?!

All these panel gap complaints remind me of Corvette forums complaining of the same things. Earlier Vettes had panel gaps, both inside and out. People still loved those cars. Many turned out to be amazing investments.

Tesla encourages test drives prior to purchasing. Pretty easy to see if the suspension is acceptable prior to ordering.

I have a 2019 X (Raven) and do like the suspension/ride. The newer X just doesn't impress me. And at effectively almost $60,000 more than the 2023 Model Y my wife just got (which we love)... I'd have liked the newer X to be so much better, but after all this kind of stuff I'm reading... it's a hard pass.

Still waiting on the truck, but if that doesn't pan out, I'll most likely get into a Y myself if the X causes me concern as it ages. the ride on the 2023 Y is very, very good. (did I mention it's good?)

It's so much better than her 2019 Model 3, it's not even funny. Her 3 would actually make me nauseous riding shotgun.

Actually, the car it's self, as a whole is so much better, it could have come off the assembly line of a better car builder. it's seriously that good. All the fit/finish/ride/parts/trim/panel gaps/etc... 99% gone. It feels kinda odd that we can't say 'within spec' anymore about this particular car.

But it seems the new X has a ways to go before I'd consider one again.

Funny youl
All these panel gap complaints remind me of Corvette forums complaining of the same things. Earlier Vettes had panel gaps, both inside and out. People still loved those cars. Many turned out to be amazing investments.

Tesla encourages test drives prior to purchasing. Pretty easy to see if the suspension is acceptable prior to ordering.
Funny you said about panel gaps. Im sitting in Boston, in little Italy. Enjoying my lunch. Just looked out of the window and model s parked...
It's not just this. Im taking apart my interior of 22 m3p and it was build by amateurs. Let's not pretend tesla doesn't have a large build quality issue. Fanboys can keep lying to themselves and it's ok. Sales of model s already showing that.

Also, two hours ago checked out lucid for the first time and build quality looks much better.

Attachments

• PXL_20230729_190042842.jpg
    PXL_20230729_190042842.jpg
    708.7 KB · Views: 280
I'm experiencing something similar as the original post. Around 35~45mph range as I accelerate, the driver backseat vibrates for like 2 seconds or so.
This is 2023 Model X LR, less than 300 miles on it (just got delivered few weeks ago).
I think what you are describing is different. What I was posting about is constant roughness/subtle vibration you always feel on the seat no matter what the pavement is like. Mainly between 30-50 mph because I am guessing going faster the suspension has no time to react and mess things up. It stinks in city driving.

Only way I can explain it is that the X suspension is just not refined to handle normal/tiny road imperfections because it has not been developed enough. In comparison to Mercedes and BMW air suspensions is at least a couple of decades behind and you do feel it coming from or also having a German car. It is night and day refinement wise. I started this thread because I was totally surprised by it and hadn't seen any discussions specific to refinement and to see if there are any solutions.

Have been on vacation and won't been able to look into what else I can do for a couple more weeks but if there is no solution the MXP will most likely be gone soon. If that happens I will definitely miss the drive train though, and other things software related. I love the no button get in and go, or the stop, remove seat belt and leave the car! Or the cabin overheat protection, GPS based suspension raising etc. etc. I have a rental while on vacation and I keep forgetting that I need to press a button to stop the engine! Also, our local service center is great - much better that local German car dealerships.

But cannot keep driving a car that makes me tired/tingly/numb commuting and running errands everyday.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
I think what you are describing is different. What I was posting about is constant roughness/subtle vibration you always feel on the seat no matter what the pavement is like. Mainly between 30-50 mph because I am guessing going faster the suspension has no time to react and mess things up. It stinks in city driving.

Only way I can explain it is that the X suspension is just not refined to handle normal/tiny road imperfections because it has not been developed enough. In comparison to Mercedes and BMW air suspensions is at least a couple of decades behind and you do feel it coming from or also having a German car. It is night and day refinement wise. I started this thread because I was totally surprised by it and hadn't seen any discussions specific to refinement and to see if there are any solutions.

Have been on vacation and won't been able to look into what else I can do for a couple more weeks but if there is no solution the MXP will most likely be gone soon. If that happens I will definitely miss the drive train though, and other things software related. I love the no button get in and go, or the stop, remove seat belt and leave the car! Or the cabin overheat protection, GPS based suspension raising etc. etc. I have a rental while on vacation and I keep forgetting that I need to press a button to stop the engine! Also, our local service center is great - much better that local German car dealerships.

But cannot keep driving a car that makes me tired/tingly/numb commuting and running errands everyday.
Mine’s similar. I also do get constant seatback vibrations on roads as well. Took it to Tesla Service last week and just got it back yesterday. They said they “torqued” the seats and noticed no vibrations. I think vibrations got a tad less but they are still subtly there. I might need to bring it back to them again.

If I was stopped on a yield sign and was accelerating to merge to a road, as soon as I hit ~40mph the seatback vibrates for a split second (similar feeling like the vibration on steering wheel for lane departure warning but not as strong as that). And I also have subtle vibrations on city roads too.

When I get in my other car, Model 3, no vibrations.