Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MXP front axle issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Road force measured and balanced my 2023 MXP today - stock height, 3k miles

Left Front - 10
Right Front - 37
Left Rear - 20
Right Rear - 17

As you can see RF is too high and not in balance with LF. The balancing did not reveal a bent wheel though so the tire tech suspects “a front axle” issue.

Could this be the infamous half shaft showing signs of distress? Note that this isn’t like the vibrations others describe, it’s more like a feel of something not being quite smooth.

Also tire tech wrote:

“R/F axle boot torn and losing grease. Could contribute to vibrations”

They all don’t road force well as they come off the factory. Stiff sidewalls, random/ unmatched (white dot on valves) mounts of tires in relation to the rims from the factory … rough angled half shafts - all contribute to the “gravel in steering wheel” feel at any speed…

My local Tesla shop doesn’t even have a road force machine….

Your only chance is new half shafts, and a competent tire shop with Hunter DSP equipment that will match the tire to the rim and then you drive in “low” and floor it only on “very low” suspension setting.

They know about this and have done nothing to remedy the situation.

Last edited:
Yeah the Hunter machine is what measured this it turns out. Tirerack agreed to swap the tire under warranty. Going tomorrow to change it and rebalance. Then need to ship tire back. $100 or so later I hope this turns out better. For the leaky half shaft boot I have service with Tesla on Wed among a bunch of other things. Tesla hasn’t diagnosed it as bad yet and tbh the irregularities I feel are more like wheel balancing related.