Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla’s showroom inventory significantly different than what is shown online?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife is surprisingly showing interest in pursuing a second Tesla if we can get an end of quarter discount. Online shows one Model 3 available at our closest sales location but not in the color we wanted. What are the chances that they actually have more options if we were to show up in person?

At least where I live (El Paso, TX), they don't show you sh*t. In my case, there was a 'demo' in the showroom, which only had 4 miles (so not really a demo), but was scratched/scuffed to hell and back. So asked to check out the reportedly other 3 'demos' at the back, and no dice. So no sale. But Tesla by making every inventory car a 'demo', they generate the sale they want (although warranty starts running), but you never know if the car is also scratched or not. They want you to buy it sight unseen, but at least for me, no thanks. So didn't buy one.

But in your case, if nothing shows in inventory, there's probably nothing there, since new cars show in inventory while in transit. So if nothing shows, there's nothing, or it's already sold. But you can increase the distance to 200 miles, and even 'deliverable' distance. Did you try that?

FYI, for anyone in a similar situation, I went into the showroom today and the sales people appeared to be accessing the same public Tesla website that I was at home. I assumed that there would be some sort of special database that they would be accessing but I was wrong. I did however figure out that Tesla updates their online inventory several times a day. So if you’re still looking for any good deals then just keep refreshing the page to see the latest vehicles that have been added.

Tesla sales advisors used to have access to more info and could see cars in transit or scheduled to be built that weren't on the inventory site yet. I don't know if that's changed, although this close to the end of the quarter I would assume anything and everything available is listed.

And almost all cars I checked are now 'demos', just to force the sale in '23. Kind of crappy. Beware of those because not only the rebate could be in jeopardy (according to some here), but the warranty starts when 'punched', so eventual owners won't have the full warranty. At least they're having the decency to post that under 'details', but without a specific date (just the month). That questionable tactic shouldn't be permitted IMO (European brands do that a lot). I wasn't allowed to drive a 'demo' M3P with 4 miles, even though it was supposedly a demo. And without driving one, no way I'd buy blindly, so will try to drive one in Austin (leaving tomorrow). The good news is the P doesn't lose the full rebate in '24. In fact, it's better now, because it's instant in '24. But will consider just waiting for the superior Highland model, since it should be significantly quieter inside.

Beware of those because not only the rebate could be in jeopardy (according to some here)
Some here are wrong.

There is zero reason to think an untitled demo vehicle is not eligible for the tax credit.

But yeah, pretty typical to be down to the demos and leftovers on the very last day. The predictable risk of waiting too long.

Some here are wrong.

There is zero reason to think an untitled demo vehicle is not eligible for the tax credit.

But yeah, pretty typical to be down to the demos and leftovers on the very last day. The predictable risk of waiting too long.

The reports here have been from people being told "This demo doesnt qualify", which could totally be a thing. I am 100% aware that you know this, but for anyone else, "Demo" is not a regulated term and could be previously titled, or untitled.

Anyway, some demos could quality, and some could not, depending on if they were previously titled or not, so some might qualify and some might not. Would be up to the individual to make sure the car was sold as new.

The reports here have been from people being told "This demo doesnt qualify", which could totally be a thing. I am 100% aware that you know this, but for anyone else, "Demo" is not a regulated term and could be previously titled, or untitled.

Anyway, some demos could quality, and some could not, depending on if they were previously titled or not, so some might qualify and some might not. Would be up to the individual to make sure the car was sold as new.
I think it’s actually quite cut and dry. “Demo” is not a regulated term, but “new” and “used” certainly are.

Tesla sells all of their demo cars online as “new” in the search filter. That can only mean one thing - an untitled new vehicle. If you see one listed on the inventory site under the “new” filter, it’s a new untitled car and eligible for the tax credit.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I think it’s actually quite cut and dry. “Demo” is not a regulated term, but “new” and “used” certainly are.

Tesla sells all of their demo cars online as “new” in the search filter. That can only mean one thing - an untitled new vehicle. If you see one listed on the inventory site under the “new” filter, it’s a new untitled car and eligible for the tax credit.

Yeah I agree with you that new and used are regulated terms. I have no idea what people are being told when they go to Tesla to look at cars though, and I am not in the market so I dont know what happens when someone starts sorting by inventory vehicles with biggest discounts.

We are 100% in agreement that people just need to make sure the car is being sold as New, and that "new" has nothing to do with number of miles, neither does "used" per se.

Reactions: ucmndd