Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is transport fee and how does Tesla charge it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys!

First, to be clear, my question is regarding the transport fee, which is NOT destination fee. :)

I've been keeping an eye on Model Y inventory in the tesla delivery center near me for few weeks. I noticed that for any inventory cars, in its details page, it shows this message: "Available for pickup at this location with no est. transport fee". I got a little bit confused by it.

1. It seems the transport fee only associates with inventory cars. Tesla will charge you transport fee if you want to buy an inventory car and pick it up in a different delivery center. Am I right?

2. What about online order? If I order a Model Y online, I knew everyone needs to pay destination fee, but does Tesla charge the transport fee?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
oldcotton

Hi guys!

First, to be clear, my question is regarding the transport fee, which is NOT destination fee. :)

I've been keeping an eye on Model Y inventory in the tesla delivery center near me for few weeks. I noticed that for any inventory cars, in its details page, it shows this message: "Available for pickup at this location with no est. transport fee". I got a little bit confused by it.

1. It seems the transport fee only associates with inventory cars. Tesla will charge you transport fee if you want to buy an inventory car and pick it up in a different delivery center. Am I right?

2. What about online order? If I order a Model Y online, I knew everyone needs to pay destination fee, but does Tesla charge the transport fee?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
oldcotton

They only charge a transport fee if they have to move the car from the place its in stock at, to wherever you are trying to buy it. As you said it has nothing to do with destination fee, and there isnt a transport fee for a car you order unless you also try to get it home delivered instead of picking it up at the SC local to you.

Reactions: oldcotton
I don't think that is true. All online orders seem to add the fee, if they take it off my estimate if I pick up at nearest service center I will be shocked. At time of placing order it isn't even stated if it is a service center or home delivery. I think that fee is for moving from factory to either you or closest service center.

I don't think that is true. All online orders seem to add the fee, if they take it off my estimate if I pick up at nearest service center I will be shocked. At time of placing order it isn't even stated if it is a service center or home delivery. I think that fee is for moving from factory to either you or closest service center.
Thats what the destination fee is (which is charged on every order of a new vehicle and can not be waived), not the transportation fee.

Reactions: ewoodrick
Regardless of what Tesla calls the fee, AFAIK there is no getting away from it, it is basically the transportation fee that every car manufacturer adds on (USA at least), I have never purchased a vehicle that did not have a destination/transportation/delivery fee. I think it is semantics, you are paying a fee to get the vehicle to you whatever you want to call it. The OP seems to indicate there is not that fee if you pickup it up wherever the car is instead of having it delivered and as far as I can tell that isn't the case.

Regardless of what Tesla calls the fee, AFAIK there is no getting away from it, it is basically the transportation fee that every car manufacturer adds on (USA at least), I have never purchased a vehicle that did not have a destination/transportation/delivery fee. I think it is semantics, you are paying a fee to get the vehicle to you whatever you want to call it. The OP seems to indicate there is not that fee if you pickup it up wherever the car is instead of having it delivered and as far as I can tell that isn't the case.

Sorry, no no no. A destination fee is NOT the TRANSPORT fee that the OP here is talking about. They are two separate things, and you are co mingling them for some reason.

Its not semantics, its TWO DIFFERENT FEES. There is no TRANSPORT fee if you pick up at a delivery center. There IS a destination fee charged on all new cars, regardless. The transport fee, as I said, is an ADDITIONAL fee completely separate from the destination fee, and is charged when someone gets a car moved from one location to another. If you are charged a transport fee BOTH fees (transport AND destination) show up on the invoice, so the one you are talking about is not the one the OP is talking about.

so how does one order online w/o this transportation fee? if i wanna fly in n drive it myself...

1687036250736.png