Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Is Telsa proposing the right thing for my Powerwall installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure some of the more technical folks on this board will chime in, but in a nutshell what they're saying makes sense. The issue is that at this point, the Powerwall can't roll back the solar production partially. It's either on or off. This means that in order to prevent the solar from overloading the Powerwall's capacity, it'd have trouble letting the full 10 kW system run. I also suspect that they're worried the solar inverter will not react quickly enough to the Powerwall's frequency shift and could cause issues if the solar production is higher than the Powerwall's input capacity.

I realize I'm late to the game, but if the PW couldn't do frequency shifting to signal the solar inverters to reduced output, you would have a problem anytime the solar exceeds the house load in a backup situation. Once the PW is full, there is nowhere for the solar generation to go. Either the frequency or voltage limit would trip the solar inverters...
PV_max.PNG

Reactions: Pale_Rider
Its not a local code issue, its an issue with the service panel itself. Read the sticker, somewhere it will specify the max branch circuit allowed on the buss. The panels that allow this special 4p breaker will have language that specifies the part number for it.

If you use a 150A 4p to feed your backup system, and a 50A left on the distribution bus, you are only giving up the flexibility that all the loads in the backup system need to work out with the load calculations of the 150A breaker. Its a pretty small difference imo. In other words if you try to add another large load to the backup system, the load calculations need to work out with 150A. Difference is on the orderof 20-30 amps of "calculated load" you leave on the table.

When your company runs the load calculations, if they come out with for example 147A (I'd call this marginal for a 150A breaker), this basically tells you you can't safely add additional loads to the electrical system. In that example, if you had you run the calculation with the car charger on the backup system, and the main breaker at 200A, its likely the calculations result would be 175A-ish so you could theoretically add a small 25A load. Its a pretty small loss.

If they come up with 173A, then this plan will not work as a 150A breaker is undersized.

Also the 100% rule states that the addition of all breakers nameplate rating must not exceed the bus rating. So if you leave a 50A on the bus for your 14-50, then its a 150A max breaker for the backup system.

Thanks for all of that great information. I am going to discuss it with my Powerwall contractor and see how their calculations come out and whether the service panel can support the 4p breaker you mentioned.

I have a Powerwall question that I need help answering. I was told by Tesla that current powerwall owners have been having issues whereby their sump pumps have been tripping the breaker and therefore turning off the power wall during power outages and therefore we were told that we now need 2 powerwalls instead of one powerwall to use as a partial backup system. We were originally told that a single powerwall would meet our needs for ensuring that our sump pump remain functional during power outages. Is this accurate, have people been having issues with their sump pump turning off their powerwall during power outages and do we actually require a 2 powerwall system or is Tesla trying to get us to needlessly purchase an additional powerwall? Thank you!

I have a Powerwall question that I need help answering. I was told by Tesla that current powerwall owners have been having issues whereby their sump pumps have been tripping the breaker and therefore turning off the power wall during power outages and therefore we were told that we now need 2 powerwalls instead of one powerwall to use as a partial backup system. We were originally told that a single powerwall would meet our needs for ensuring that our sump pump remain functional during power outages. Is this accurate, have people been having issues with their sump pump turning off their powerwall during power outages and do we actually require a 2 powerwall system or is Tesla trying to get us to needlessly purchase an additional powerwall? Thank you!
Can you provide details on your sump pump? What kind of outlet does it plug into? Do you know the Volts and Amps it uses?

Sump pumps are absolutely a potential issue, and in fact any kind of electric motor has a high start up requirement. Even more so, because they are critical to the function of a building, so customers expect them to work 100%

This is typically defined as Locked Rotor Amps (LRA), or startup amps. Its similar to the issue that happens with an AC unit, but slightly less common as the pumps tend to be smaller than the AC compressor motor.

Typically LRA can be approximated 3x the running current. Powerwall has the ability to generate 500W continuously, or 7000W of draw for 10 seconds. In our experience this is a problem that we also address with customers, and they have similar questions.

This problem is made worse when the house sees an outage. Since the sudden loss of power makes every piece of equipment that was on before the power outage come back at the same time. So not only do you need enough headroom for the pump, but the pump plus all the other stuff that is typically on the backup system. This can sometimes overload a single Powerwall.

Some pumps are worse than others, so some data on the pump will help us understand the depth of the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
I have a 1/3 hp Zoeller sump pump model M53.
Sump pumps are absolutely a potential issue, and in fact any kind of electric motor has a high start up requirement. Even more so, because they are critical to the function of a building, so customers expect them to work 100%

This is typically defined as Locked Rotor Amps (LRA), or startup amps. Its similar to the issue that happens with an AC unit, but slightly less common as the pumps tend to be smaller than the AC compressor motor.

Typically LRA can be approximated 3x the running current. Powerwall has the ability to generate 500W continuously, or 7000W of draw for 10 seconds. In our experience this is a problem that we also address with customers, and they have similar questions.

This problem is made worse when the house sees an outage. Since the sudden loss of power makes every piece of equipment that was on before the power outage come back at the same time. So not only do you need enough headroom for the pump, but the pump plus all the other stuff that is typically on the backup system. This can sometimes overload a single Powerwall.

Some pumps are worse than others, so some data on the pump will help us understand the depth of the issue.

You could try a VFD. It's soft-start so there's no current surge.

Cheaper than adding a powerwall...

I suspect that this pump will be just barely too large to start up. If it was a 240V pump at the same 1/3 hp it would be fine I think.

If I hear any competing information I will update you, but I believe they are giving you accurate information.
If that's the case, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to upgrade to a 240V sump pump instead of adding a second Powerwall?

I have confirmed that only about half of the 5 kW of continuous power is available per phase. So some strategy would be needed to reduce the startup amps.
Sure start is one option, but is more designed for AC compressors Hyper Engineering | Single Phase
For a more advanced user the VFD option would work too.
Native 1/3 HP pump @240VAC would work, though would require reworking the wiring.
I probably wouldn't hack together a 12V pump, that's going the wrong way imho.

Of course another Powerwall might not be a bad idea, but cost sounds like it might be an object here.

Could you clarify this? The spec sheet (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/powerwall/Powerwall 2_AC_Datasheet_en_northamerica.pdf) says that the imbalance for split-phase loads is 100%. I thought this meant that the full power could go to either phase. Is that incorrect?

That means you can have 100% of the available 120V load on one phase of 120V with no load on the other. However each phase breaker is only 30A, which lines up with 50% of the 7kW max.
So the 100% imbalance would be 0W on one phase and 3,600 Watts max on the other. Steady state, 0W, 2,900 Watts.

• Informative
Reactions: shs1 and cwied
If full power could be delivered to either phase, then the wiring and breaker would need to be sized accordingly.

5000w/120vac=42A. This would be beyond the design of the wire or the 30A breaker. I agree it is confusing that they worded it this way, and points to how important it is to balance the L1 and L2 phases on a Powerwall system.

• Informative
Reactions: shs1 and cwied

Thank you for the info. For our back up system the only things we were planning on having on the single powerwall originally was the sump pump and our wireless router. Even with just these two items, there would still be too much inrush of electricity for a single powerwall. If we puchased a different sump pump, would this alleviate the demand on the powerwalk?