Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to go above 32 Amp charge rate when charging a 2023 Model RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed a 50 Amp Autel MaxiCharger EVSE with 70 Amp breaker on 4 awg wires. It is charging at 32 Amps maximum in my new 2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD. I suppose that is the maximum that I can get? Is there a way to charge higher than 32 amp?

I suppose that is the maximum that I can get?
Yes.
Is there a way to charge higher than 32 amp?
No.

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 3.03.43 PM.png

Short answer is no.

Longer answer is…EVSE is a not a charger; it’s a glorified/smart relay; it just controls the flow of AC power to the car. Chargers are actually onboard the car. As DownshiftDre mentioned, LR and Performance models have higher capacity chargers and can go above 32A. RWD models have smaller chargers and only deliver 32A.

I am in same situation, my M3 RWD , bought on 9/30/2023, only charges at home, thru the Wall Conntor, at 32 amps. My breaker is 50 amps and I set the Wall Connector for 40 amps.
Contacting Tesla tech support. Got confirmation that my M3 RWD only charges at 32 amps via Wall Connector. He also said there are other model 3 that charges at upto 48 amps ( as this post shows )
Oh well , now I know. At least, supercharging at Tesla station will be fast. Will have to try it soon. What surprised me is the saleswoman recommended me to buy the Wall Connector which can charges my M3 full in 6 hours. She should not say that !!!

Reactions: Patrick_TX
the saleswoman recommended me to buy the Wall Connector which can charges my M3 full in 6 hours. She should not say that !!!
On a 48 Amp station, I can charge my M3 LR to full in 5 minutes... if I start charging at 99%. Leave the second part away and you're looking at a correct but highly misleading statement.
As a rule of thumb, always challenge everything that sales people tell you. Or better yet, do your own research and bypass them altogether.

We have a MX Plaid and a M3 RWD. In my experience, the MX and M3 both recover from the same SOC in roughly the same amount of time, because the M3's battery is smaller, and does not need as many amps to recover the same percent amount of charge. So, to go from 50% SOC to 95% SOC takes roughly 5 hours in both cars.

While the salesperson might have misled you, you will very likely have no problems charging your car overnight at home. But if you are an Uber driver, or some such, and want a fast charge whilst you are having lunch, you might want faster charging. Otherwise only hit a Supercharger when you are on a road trip.

I really like our M3 RWD. I think it is the best Tesla made.

Reactions: unhyphy
Short answer is no.

I mean, technically, one could drop the battery and replace the PCS. Going rate for those seem to be about $500 on eBay, used. You'd need to make sure it's the 48A version. Or you could try ordering directly from Tesla.

I didn't post this to be snooty and contradictory (okay, I did), but seriously - if the OP was asking "How can I get my RWD 3 to charge at 48A no matter the labor and cost?", this is the answer.

If the OP is willing to pull their car apart and replace the PCS, this is possible, otherwise everyone else is correct - the hardware in your car is physically limited to 32A.

And really... the extra 16A is almost negligible - just charge overnight.

Reactions: Black306
And for anyone considering doing this, there's always the possibility that this could damage something and/or void your warranty and/or require software help from Tesla (which would mean they would have documented that you'd dropped your own battery and swapped the PCS).

In no world would this ever make sense to me.

Reactions: Patrick_TX
And for anyone considering doing this, there's always the possibility that this could damage something and/or void your warranty and/or require software help from Tesla (which would mean they would have documented that you'd dropped your own battery and swapped the PCS).

Not just to get faster charging, but for an out of warranty car that needed a PCS replacement, anyway, it could make sense.

Reactions: father_of_6

I’m sure it would void any sort of warranty, and might require some Toolbox programming to make it work, but sure, I’ve no doubt it’s possible.

This is a brand new M3 SR, I would not make any changes, especially changes that void warranty. Having a Wall Connector is not bad, it looks better and is safer than using a 14-50 outlet and Mobile Connector. The 14-50 outlet has to be very high quality and the installation cost is the same as for Wall Connector. Actually, the 14-50 outlet solution may costs more as the circuit breaker have to be GFCI type.
My main complaint is about the sale woman says some thing that is not true for my M3.
My fault is I did not do any research about charging. Now, I know this quite well (learn more when having issues).
My next EV will certainly can charges at 40 amps, damn sure about that.

My main complaint is about the sale woman says some thing that is not true for my M3.
My fault is I did not do any research about charging. Now, I know this quite well (learn more when having issues).
My next EV will certainly can charges at 40 amps, damn sure about that.

Not sure what you're referring to about the salesperson misleading you, but 32A charging is plenty fast. It should be fast enough to replenish the entire battery overnight, something that almost no one needs to do.

The sale person says the Wall Connector took 6 hours to fully charge my Tesla 3 SR.
Now I know my M3 only draws 32 amps for charging. That's OK with me as I chose the cheapest model. Agree that it can be fully charged overnight. I typically set 80% max.

Well... at 32A, you'd be charging at 7.68kW (32 X 240v = 7680).

The battery on your car is 57.5kWh capacity, so at 7.68kW, would take about 7.5 hours... except you're not going to charge from 0-100%. At *most*, you'd probably charge from 10-90% (although even that is an extreme).

So I'd say this salesperson was actually spot on. That said, this isn't something I can ever imagine myself being upset about, not in any universe. "The salesperson said my electric drill would take 2 hours to charge but it actually took 2 hours and 23 minutes... shucks".