Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone interested in Tesla NOT because of any environmental reasons?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the people who feel they're helping the environment by owning a MS. It seems to be a wash compared to ICE. Maybe it's different for a larger car??

Electric cars can be dirtier than traditional gas cars

That study is pure garbage, and I emailed the author.

In addition to the obvious caveat that it doesn't include well or refinery emissions for gasoline (!!!), it has a worse problem.

It doesn't have the power grid composition correct. There are obvious errors, like showing Wyoming as all-renewable and western NY (Niagara Falls) as coal-powered.

I suspect they're using bad data or out of date data or something.

It is possible for a Tesla to be dirtier than a gasoline car, if the Tesla's run off inefficient Midwestern or Southern coal and the gasoline car is a 58 mpg Prius. But this study's numbers are just plain wrong.

Lots of people have weighed in now, but I'll just add my 2c...
I am saving up to buy a Model S, I should be there by next spring barring any major catastrophe.
The environment is not a factor at all in my decision. I won't get too much in to politics and such, I'm not stupid, I realize that pollution is bad, but it's just not important to me personally, I believe there are many more things to worry about in this world that are more important than how much CO2 your car puts out (not trying to start a flame war here, just answering the thread title)

I want a Model S because it is the first electric car that has a reasonable (if still too short) range. I want an electric car because they are superior to internal combustion vehicles in every way, lower maintenance, smoother running, better acceleration, not having to visit a gas station (especially important for those of us living in a place that gets as cold as -40!) cheaper fuel, fuel I can generate at home from solar power (again, for financial and independence reasons, not environmental)

Of course the Model S isn't just the first long range electric car, it's also a very practical vehicle in other ways, I love the high tech nature of it, I like that they didn't waste all the space between the front seats with a useless console shift lever or such, I like the huge cargo capacity, and it's also a nice looking car.