Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IPv6 address for TMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't "simply add IPv6 to your site" when you don't get IPv6 transit in the first place. If you add IPv6 using tunnels, you will give everyone who has IPv6 a poorer experience, because IPv6 will be their preferred transport, and the tunnel will have higher latency than a direct IPv4 connection. There is no "too late" ... in 10 years time there will still be many IPv4-only sites, and they'll continue to work and be accessible by pretty much everyone.

I think (finally) this transition is happening faster than you think. Akamai has doubled it's IPv6 traffic the last 6 months. Currently countries like Germany and Switzerland is having a double digit percentage of residential traffic on IPv6. If this trend continues it will not make sense to employ expensive and degrading technology to support the minority of important services that insist on staying IPv4 only.

I think (finally) this transition is happening faster than you think. Akamai has doubled it's IPv6 traffic the last 6 months. Currently countries like Germany and Switzerland is having a double digit percentage of residential traffic on IPv6. If this trend continues it will not make sense to employ expensive and degrading technology to support the minority of important services that insist on staying IPv4 only.

Old protocols don't suddenly go away. I still support and install X.25 networks. X.25 has been around since at least 1976. A few months ago I installed a bunch of new X.25 equipment in Houston and Dallas because nobody would pay project costs associated with upgrading to IPv4! This is in a huge company with massive budgets, and the X.25 connections themselves handle millions of dollars worth of financial transactions every day. The business that owns these connections doesn't care how they work or how difficult they have become to support. They only see the bottom line.

Akamai is widely used by content publishers, and by making themselves IPv6-enabled, they have made it easy for publishers to serve content over IPv6 without the publishers upgrading any of their own servers to IPv6. Cloudflare has just IPv6-enabled ALL of their customers. This is great progress, but this kind of surge in traffic points more toward increased consumer IPv6 availability, mostly on wireless networks.

I'm a geek, I've played with IPv6 for many years, and I've enabled it on my personal networks and a few websites. Nobody is rooting for it more than I am. For most people, though, IPv4 works well enough, even with multiple NATs. Unless you're in the business of providing hosting/network services, moving to IPv6 will not enhance your bottom line, but quite the opposite.

Maybe there will be a killer app, like the Internet of Things, to help boost IPv6 into the mainstream.

Obviously there will be IPv4 only, legacy networks around, just like those X.25 nets and others, but those are not "the Internet".
When we are already now at a stage where 10% of the end users have IPv6 enabled in certain markets, it means that for me - working for a service provider - the question has changed from "what kind of transition mechanism and CGN should we spend a lot of money and other resources on" to "can we make it trough without doing those temporary, but expensive investments". It is _almost_ a viable solution to not go that way at all.
With all major news sites in Norway on dual stack, Akamai, Facebook and Google (including YouTube) on IPv6, you can _almost_ manage without IPv4. It will be really interesting to see where we are i another six months or a year.
The most important thing you as a customer can do is to require IPv6 in all your specs and when you buy services.
There are hosting providers out there that can enable it. Even in the US. Put pressure on your current provider. If the customers don't ask for it, of course they won't enable it.

OPINION | Network Computing

I've been asking providers for years :)

Most of my servers are hosted at Amazon, and it seems like half the Internet is there, as well. I keep hoping that 2014 will be the year that Amazon finally enables IPv6 on EC2. I know I am not alone. Many businesses are holding back on IPv6 until it works at Amazon.

I was checking out Google Compute Engine the other day, and at least they have IPv6 planned. Knowing Google, it should come fairly soon, as they have made a big push for v6.

Today I moved DNS service for one of of my domains from Route 53 to Google Cloud DNS. Google's DNS servers have IPv6 addresses. :) Sadly they don't have IPv6 glue records.

Great.
I was not really attacking you. But I might have sounded a bit harsh. Trying to convince end users and customers to at least try and enable IPv6 is part of my day job, and it gets frustrating sometimes to hear the same arguments about "we don't need it" or "IPv4 will be around forever" all while I keep a watchful eye on our constantly diminishing pool of IPv4 addresses.

Obviously there will be IPv4 only, legacy networks around, just like those X.25 nets and others, but those are not "the Internet".
When we are already now at a stage where 10% of the end users have IPv6 enabled in certain markets, it means that for me - working for a service provider - the question has changed from "what kind of transition mechanism and CGN should we spend a lot of money and other resources on" to "can we make it trough without doing those temporary, but expensive investments". It is _almost_ a viable solution to not go that way at all.
With all major news sites in Norway on dual stack, Akamai, Facebook and Google (including YouTube) on IPv6, you can _almost_ manage without IPv4. It will be really interesting to see where we are i another six months or a year.
The most important thing you as a customer can do is to require IPv6 in all your specs and when you buy services.
There are hosting providers out there that can enable it. Even in the US. Put pressure on your current provider. If the customers don't ask for it, of course they won't enable it.

OPINION | Network Computing

Facebook even treats IPv4 as legacy in their network. Allmost all their internal communication is IPv6. Towards the end-user they still do IPv4. Some older parts of their network still do IPv4, but the new systems all do IPv6.

But for TMC itself, when the connectivity is there (no tunnels!!!) it's just adding a AAAA-record. Don't wait for the egg, be the chicken.

I own a hosting company where we have >100k websites running IPv4 and IPv6 and it all works flawlessly. All our services are available over IPv6. We keep seeing a big increase in IPv6 traffic.

So a couple of months have passed since the last reply.

Since a couple of weeks my ISP gave my native IPv6 next to my IPv4 and later this year a couple of million homes in the Netherlands should get native IPv6 as well.

I tried to browse the web with IPv4 disabled and I could do most of my work on IPv6-only, but the downside was that TMC was unavailable.

The first IPv6-only connections have started to come up as well in the US, it's the T-Mobile network, great Video on Youtube: 464XLAT: Breaking Free of IPv4 - YouTube

Those users are behind 464XLNAT and they get a better experience if they connect to a IPv6 website instead of IPv4. So the first real-life scenarios where you want IPv6 are popping up.

@doug - I use AWS ELBs for IPv6 regularly, if that helps. They're pretty inexpensive and allow dual stack operation while keeping the EC2 side IPv4. The ELBs are Amazon-maintained and are somewhat better protected from DoS attacks and the like also (fatter pipes). So, sometimes it makes sense to use them even if you're not actually load balancing.

- - - Updated - - -

Aha, I figured that TMC might use the Loadbalancing feature of Amazon, which does support IPv6. I know that EC2 instances themselves don't have IPv6 :(

Just saw this was already noted. ;)

@doug - I use AWS ELBs for IPv6 regularly, if that helps. They're pretty inexpensive and allow dual stack operation while keeping the EC2 side IPv4. The ELBs are Amazon-maintained and are somewhat better protected from DoS attacks and the like also (fatter pipes). So, sometimes it makes sense to use them even if you're not actually load balancing.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw this was already noted. ;)

I would recommend that as well. It provides scaling when needed, but even better, TMC would get IPv6!

In 2015 two things are required: A Tesla and IPv6 ;)

So, ARIN announced today that it ran out of IPv4, there is no more IPv4 to obtain in the US.

Google and Facebook are already seeing about 25% of IPv6 traffic in the US and Facebook even sees a 15% performance improvement when users use IPv6.

Why? On IPv4 there is all kinds of things like CGNAT and IPv6 is plain routing.

So when is TMC getting v6? A AWS Loadbalancer js enough!

I'm in the UK and have had dual stack at home for a couple of years now - getting IPv6 connections to all Google services, Facebook and a few others. Just had to be choosy about my ISP. :) (AAISP have actually being doing dual stack for over a decade. They make their own routers...)

There's no good reason why ISPs can't provide this as standard already. The only reason they don't is their customers aren't demanding it. What they should be doing is providing it proactively, because most customers don't know enough to realise why they should demand it.

While they're at it, ISPs should be fixing resolvers to validate DNSSEC and fixing downlink shapers to prevent bufferbloat. (I have all that too, so it certainly is possible.)