Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ipace to X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is related to whether the car is locked or not. Others can chime in.

Based on my own experience. I usually leave my cars unlocked when in my garage charging. Sometimes it'll be locked, kids, wife, somebody locked it. And I noticed if I try to unplug after it's charged (without key nearby), I don't get the auto un-latch when pressing the button on the connector. Or sometimes for whatever reason, it does not sense the phone, then I have to open the door to unlock first before I can remove charger. Not a scientific conclusion on the lock-unlock process, but seems to be the case for me. I never thought much about it, and just deal with it when it does not Auto Unlock.

-ThinkMac-

What if you just leave the J1772 adaptor always attached to your charge point cable? and just get an extra for the car when. you're traveling.

-ThinkMac-
And while the button is nice, it's also just as easy to just push on the forward corner of the cover and it will open right up without needing to use the app, or the center screen, or the key fob. Choices are good!

When the car finishes charging and goes to sleep it is a hassle to take the adapter out of the car. When you click the ChargePoint button the X does not release the lock {while it sleeps} and you need to use the app or open the car to do so.

I assume this is not the case with the Tesla wall connector? You press the button and pull out.
Yes, it is easier with the Tesla wall charger. If you have the fob with you, you can also hold down on the back end and it will unlock the connector.

That didn't work for me this morning..pushing on the forward corner of the cover, it didn't release the lock.
The car itself does have to be unlocked. For the fob, it's the back end. Click and release once and it opens the trunk, but if you hold it down, the charging port door will open if it's closed, or the connector will unlock if it's plugged in. I don't use it since I have a Tesla wall charger, so I just tried it out before I posted.

Last edited: