Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was interesting watching Bjorn's vidoes on the Ioniq and EV6. He was saying that the Ioniq/EV6 had problems with thermal management of the battery. It would constantly scavange heat from the battery on his drives, such that even tho he navigated to a fast charger, the battery was cold (one time the battery was 0 degrees celcius) when he arrived at the charger, making it charge really slow... Likewise, it would also run into problems when cooling the cabin, it was unable to cool the battery, causing the battery to overheat killing the charging speed. His final conclusion to prevent a lot of these issues, was to turn OFF the HVAC while fast charging.

Here's the video where he talked about some of the issues.

Last edited:
Saw my first one of these Hyundais the other day - I thought it looked pretty cool. And since the non-Tesla DC charge network here is now pretty OK (just a bit worse than Tesla, there are still areas you can't reach on DC-charging alone) and the Model Y isn't even sold here, I'd say it's a compelling option!

;-)

I've test driven two (SE RWD and SE AWD). Decent car. Very smooth ride. Was thinking of buying one until Tesla forced me to take delivery on my August MYLR order.

It's more of a luxury sedan in feel and drive. Not a crossover or SUV. I can see the appeal.

While I thought I would like physical buttons on the wheel and dash... the buttons are confusing. Maybe because I haven't driven a Hyundai (mainly Kias and Toyotas) except on short test drives. I think they should have stuck with traditional knobs and not tried to re-invent another wheel.

Reactions: Corndart
Watched recent reviews of the ioniq 5 and Y LR from a Belgium YouTube channel.

Summary:
- Ioniq does the legacy car stuff better: seats, heads up display etc.
- The Y does the tech stuff better (way more efficient, better autopilot)

Personally I am not a big fan of the Ioniq cockpit. Way too many buttons. If purchased at MSRP, it's a good deal, especially with the federal tax credit, as long as the shorter range is not an issue.

I would get a Polestar 2 over the Hyundai if I was shopping other than a Tesla. I Love the look of the Polestar even though range is lacking. The only problem I fear is that Polestar could be out of business in a few years or gobbled up by one of the larger automakers. I don't think Volvo wants much to do with them since there is barely any marketing out there.

This will be helpful for understanding the differences. Yes Tesla's are efficient, but their stated ranges routinely do not meet the real world results and their delta is typically larger than other manufacturers for the reasons stated in the article:

100% agreed. Anybody who owns a Tesla.. which is basically everybody here.. knows what the "real world" range is like. And its not what's on the EPA sticker. The same is very true for something like the Porsche Taycan, except the results are the exact opposite. EPA ratings are way underestimated on the Taycan and you can drive MUCH further than what the EPA sticker estimates.

At this point, I don't even bother looking at EPA ratings anymore because of the huge discrepancies. They are essentially worthless. I go straight InsideEVs | Electric Vehicle News, Reviews, and Reports and look for their real-world comparison tests. It's a much more trustworthy number and one I can depend on when deciding which EV fits a need for myself or for someone I'm helping with a purchase.

They use the exact same method with all their vehicles. And Teslas generally return a real-world result that is -12% lower vs their EPA rating, meanwhile, the Taycan showed an eye-popping real-world result that was 30% higher vs EPA rating.

The most mind-blowing result, however, just showed up this weekend. And it's Lucid's Air hitting 500 real-world miles of range.. and doing it while cruising at 70mph on the highway that entire time. I honestly didn't think 500 miles of real-world range.. especially at highway speeds.. was something that was going to happen for another 5-10 years. Most EV's struggle to deliver even 300 miles of real-world range at 70mph speeds.

Last edited:
They use the exact same method with all their vehicles. And Teslas generally return a real-world result that is -12% lower vs their EPA rating, meanwhile, the Taycan showed an eye-popping real-world result that was 30% higher vs EPA rating.
You have to take everything into consideration tho. Bjorn did a video where they "raced" from Oslo to the Arctic Circle, and then back. They used a Model 3 SR+, a Taycan, and a Mach-E. The Tesla had the shortest range, but it actually beat the Taycan by over an hour on the return trip.

Here's the video I was talking about

Reactions: gt2690b
You have to take everything into consideration tho. Bjorn did a video where they "raced" from Oslo to the Arctic Circle, and then back. They used a Model 3 SR+, a Taycan, and a Mach-E. The Tesla had the shortest range, but it actually beat the Taycan by over an hour on the return trip.

Here's the video I was talking about
I certainly agree there. Just wanted to point out that the EPA stated range vs real-world range is wildly different on a lot of these vehicles. And those differences show up in comparison tests like the one posted.

Range isn't the only variable that should be considered when EV shopping. The 3 primary reasons why I chose the MY over the cheaper MME a year ago basically came down to 1) resale value.. 2) Supercharger network.. 3) Tesla's 12 years of experience building/selling/charging EVs vs Ford's one year. And I made the right decision, I can say without a doubt Tesla still delivers the best overall EV experience. I won't go as far as saying they make the best car.. and their price increases over the past year have made me much more interested in what the competition is currently offering.. but there is no doubt Tesla still offers the best overall EV ownership experience on the market. And it should remain that way at least until 3rd party charging networks grow much larger and improve in reliability, speed, functionality, and payment processing.

I also skipped the MME.. because I didn't want the first-year run of any new vehicle, way too many bugs to be worked out from that first year. This is why I specifically waited for a 2021 Model Y.. instead of getting a 2020.

Last edited:

At this point, I don't even bother looking at EPA ratings anymore because of the huge discrepancies. They are essentially worthless. ...
and this was really my original point.. who cares how far below the stated EPA range a car falls? its a worthless metric... the only thing that really matters is real world efficiency / range and the tesla has still shown to be better than the ioniq

Reactions: Daekwan and tm1v2
and this was really my original point.. who cares how far below the stated EPA range a car falls? its a worthless metric... the only thing that really matters is real world efficiency / range and the tesla has still shown to be better than the ioniq
by about 40-50 miles, which is not insignificant if one does long distance driving. Doesn't matter if used only on trips below 150 miles

by about 40-50 miles, which is not insignificant if one does long distance driving. Doesn't matter if used only on trips below 150 miles
i dont know i always use a trip planner like abrp or evtrip planner... u cant count on epa range for any trip for ANY CAR cause you might be going up a mountain or it might be 10 degrees out or whatever.. so who cares??

i dont know i always use a trip planner like abrp or evtrip planner... u cant count on epa range for any trip for ANY CAR cause you might be going up a mountain or it might be 10 degrees out or whatever.. so who cares??
Same here. ABRP is my go-to for long-distance trips where I absolutely know I will need to charge at least once. It has saved me so much time when traveling. On my last trip which was a little over 300 miles all very fast highway (75-80mph).. ABRP told me to stop twice to charge.. once for 9mins and the other for 6mins. Tesla in-car navigation told me to stop once for 40+ mins. Saved me almost 30mins of charging time!

i read it fine.. but we were talking about EPA range... what are you comparing 40 miles real extra miles from? EPA range?
The EPA delta is 70 miles. Per Edmunds test, the actual delta is around 40-50 miles. Obviously, that will change depending on conditions, driving speeds, etc. Based on other reviews I've read, the Y is more efficient on a Wh/mile, which obviously translates to longer real world range. Now, to your earlier point, one should use some kind of estimator to figure out long trips, but that's a tangential point. I use the Tesla on board trip estimator that I found to be pretty accurate.

Reactions: tm1v2 and gt2690b
I test drove an AWD SEL Ionic 5 today in Colorado Springs and was very impressed with it. Compared to the Model Y, the ride is much smoother and the cabin was very quiet. The steering didn't have as much of a road feel, though, and the Model Y requires fewer turns of the wheel. The sales guy said it has double glass throughout, but I only confirmed it on the front windows. The interior seemed higher quality and the displays were nice. The rear seat seemed at least as roomy so far as knee room goes, but I'm not sure about the elbow room (plenty for two). I liked that the rear seat not only had plenty of adjustment for the seatback, but the whole rear seat can slide back and forth a lot which would help storage space in the rear. Front seats were very comfortable and the passenger seat also had lumbar. However, the frunk is much smaller than the MY and there is only a tiny space under the rear floor. Visibility was better, especially for the rear window view. It didn't have much regen braking (no one pedal driving so far as I know), but has regen paddles which I forgot to test.

I'm seriously considering one, but not with the $10K "market adjustment" that particular dealer had (plus a $699 dealer handling fee). I haven't checked around a whole lot yet (just sent some emails through cars.com and autotrader), but I already found three dealers in the Denver area who charge much less over MSRP; one at $5K, one at $1500 (and no dealer handling fee), and one with no markup other than you have to finance through them (though you only have to make four payments and then can cancel). Of course the problem is I can get one very soon from the $10K markup guy while the others already have all their cars allocated and it might take three months to get one from them. At least the $10K markup guy seems willing to negotiate. We'll see. The Ionic 5 gets the $7500 federal tax credit (plus $2500 in Colorado) which makes the Ionic 5 SEL cost much less than a MY, and the Limited version comes out costing less as well so long as the markup isn't too much (even considering the MY also qualifies for the $2500 Colorado refundable tax credit).

By the way, the Hyundai warranty is amazing (I think Kia offers the same) which helps a lot for getting a first year model. 5 yr/60K miles overall, 10 yr/100K powertrain, 10 yr/100K electric system (I think that covers the battery), 7 yr unlimited miles anti-perforation (whatever that is), 3 yr/36K complimentary maintenance, 5 yr unlimited roadside assistance.

Last edited: