Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior Options - Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Article mentions the car weights 3,700 lbs. which is at odds with what Elon stated at the event (4,100 lbs) so maybe the reporter got the facts wrong regarding the display being an option.
Maybe the full connectivity thing is an option, but given they're using it to control everything I'd think it'd have to be standard versus having one model with a zillion buttons and one with the touchscreen.

I assume that replacing lots of controls with the touchscreen actually saves money for the car manufacturer. Thus, the touch screen shouldn't be an option for extra cash. Just doesn't make sense.

You're right Volker, they've recently updated the article with this correction: "Note: An earlier version of this story said the 17-inch, high-definition display in the center of the dash is a $1,900 option. The display is actually standard in every Model S sedan and not an option. "

They are certainly aware of that concern. Not like we have to tell them about it. People I spoke with said they are using advanced coatings to make it anti-glare.
Personally I think it would need some physical border that sticks out to completely block the side sun, like they do with the speedometer dash, but unfortunately it would make the dash look more cluttered to do that. For those that aren't restricted by regulations, the best alternative may be a lot of tint on the windows to keep the sun out of the car.

Photos from The Model X reveal make me now more concerned about the use of glossy glass on the monitor. It seems that in the months since October of last year, nothing has changed, at least if we are to believe that the Model X prototype interior is at all representative of some of the current Model S parts (e.g., steering wheel).

Tesla-Model-X-Interior.jpg

The possibility of Tesla shipping the Model S without having attended to this matter worries me. The ridiculous glare on the iPad has never been a hindrance to Apple's sales (and it boggles my mind, but then, there are no matte-screen alternatives worth a damn). But glare on a silly couch toy like an iPad is one thing. Glare on a car's primary user interface is a tragedy. Not to mention dangerous.

If you look closely at the steering wheel of the Model X, you will see some interesting controls. Perhaps this is the steering wheel interface they are going to use for the Model S. The hard controls have now been replaced with what I'd call are iPod nano type touch displays. If you go to Motor Trend's website, there are some high res photos of the steering wheel of the Model X.

There is even a return arrow just to the lower left of the right thumb touch panel. Perhaps those touchpads will be selectable or scrollable like you can move the controls on a Nano to access different functions?

.. But glare on a silly couch toy like an iPad is one thing. Glare on a car's primary user interface is a tragedy. Not to mention dangerous.

easy to angle the pad. Not so easy to turn the car or significantly move your head to loose the glare.

Most dash screens are recessed to block the sun. The difference is Tesla is touting the screen itself as bright and exceptional.

The reason that Apple and other mfrs like to use glossy screens is that the depth and vividness of the colors is greatly diminished when using non-glare screens. They want their product to look its best in the store so the customer sees it and goes "wow!". I don't think this is as necessary on a car screen. However, like Lloyd pointed out, there are lots of clear plastic films that can be applied to block glare if you're not happy with the screen as it comes.

The reason that Apple and other mfrs like to use glossy screens is that the depth and vividness of the colors is greatly diminished when using non-glare screens. They want their product to look its best in the store so the customer sees it and goes "wow!". I don't think this is as necessary on a car screen. However, like Lloyd pointed out, there are lots of clear plastic films that can be applied to block glare if you're not happy with the screen as it comes.

And building on what you said, having a glossy screen makes it look "brighter" or in your words more vivid (without using any extra power).

But Elon has stated that they can crank up the brightness on the 17" screen because they've got 9,000 laptop battery cells to power it. So I'm hoping they will use a matte screen with brightness cranked up.

No, there's a difference between vividness and brightness. The yellowness of the yellow, the redness of the red, etc. With a matte film on the screen, the colors aren't as colorful. As I said, this isn't as important in a car, so the screens should be matte. If it comes glossy, then as I said, we have the option of applying a matte film to the screen with the added benefit of protecting the screen.

In fact, matte glass might be a bad idea. It's very easy to scratch and mar matte glass. So it's probably better to have glossy glass and a plastic matte film over it.

No, there's a difference between vividness and brightness. The yellowness of the yellow, the redness of the red, etc. With a matte film on the screen, the colors aren't as colorful. As I said, this isn't as important in a car, so the screens should be matte. If it comes glossy, then as I said, we have the option of applying a matte film to the screen with the added benefit of protecting the screen.

In fact, matte glass might be a bad idea. It's very easy to scratch and mar matte glass. So it's probably better to have glossy glass and a plastic matte film over it.

This is the film that Tesla needs:

LED Backlighting | Nanosys

Just leave the glass as standard clear - neither glossy nor matte.

Now that I'm slowly coming back to life here after the event, I wanted to add these pics I took. I don't remember us having these interior color options before, and they certainly aren't on the Model S options page:

0533597418.png

Anywho, here we go:

Mojave:
2012-02-09 21.26.05.jpg

Mammoth:
2012-02-09 21.26.09.jpg

Salton
2012-02-09 21.26.14.jpg

Tuma
2012-02-09 21.26.18.jpg

I'm most interested in that Mojave if it ends up looking like I think it will (a brownish color).

Also, I'm OK with the S dash now :biggrin:
2012-02-09 21.29.33.jpg