Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interfacing with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all -

I've been searching, but can't find the info I'm looking for regarding how third parties interface with the Tesla controls.

Is there a good resource somewhere for whatever interfaces hardware such as the tesla M3/MY rear screens and S3XY buttons use for seat heating, air, media volume, etc controls?

Thanks in advance!

Hello all -

I've been searching, but can't find the info I'm looking for regarding how third parties interface with the Tesla controls.

Is there a good resource somewhere for whatever interfaces hardware such as the tesla M3/MY rear screens and S3XY buttons use for seat heating, air, media volume, etc controls?

Thanks in advance!
At least for the S3XY buttons they tap into one of the vehicle CANbus networks and read traffic on there to read values, and inject CAN messages there to trigger events. These CAN messages are known from reverse engineering, they are not published by Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
At least for the S3XY buttons they tap into one of the vehicle CANbus networks and read traffic on there to read values, and inject CAN messages there to trigger events. These CAN messages are known from reverse engineering, they are not published by Tesla.

Yeah, I'm wondering if this has good documentation anywhere.

This .dbc file is a little old so not every message my still work, but this is a decent publicly-available list of Model 3 CANbus messages as an example:

Cool, thanks. Has a link to TOO tech section that might provide good info.

Reactions: smogne41