Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m being quoted £1k from Direct Line , all the quotes so far have been £1k-1.2k (haven’t tried Prestige yet) vs paying £525 currently for my 2013 Golf. Only have 3 years no claims as for ten years before that shared car with my wife and she picked up the NCB. Aged 36 , based in NI.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Do Insurance companies even check mileage? When my car was written off by some guy crashing into me at a red light, it was just a "hand over your car to the collection crew" and I got a call a week later saying I'll be getting a settlement that didn't affect my NCB. I still put accurate mileage (from the point of application) though, just in case.

Still have to put that accident down on my insurance though, which is very annoying.

Do Insurance companies even check mileage? When my car was written off by some guy crashing into me at a red light, it was just a "hand over your car to the collection crew" and I got a call a week later saying I'll be getting a settlement that didn't affect my NCB. I still put accurate mileage (from the point of application) though, just in case.

Still have to put that accident down on my insurance though, which is very annoying.
I think the idea is that statistically, the more miles you do, the more likely you are to have an accident, so that represents a greater risk for the insurance company. I’ve no idea how much difference it makes to premiums.

Do Insurance companies even check mileage?

I am distrusting of insurance companies generally, although have no personal experience to back that up. I try to be as precise and accurate as possible when giving information because I fear an insurance provider will use any means possible to escape paying out. They are quick to take your premiums and I want to avoid giving any wiggle room if I ever need to make a claim. Thankfully I have never needed to, but I want to make sure I have what I am paying for.

Reactions: MrBadger and Roy W.
If you say 6k miles on your policy and crash after 10 months with 8k miles they'll probably accept that you went over your estimate but at 18k miles they'll probably have something to say. Best case they reduce your payout, worst case they refuse the claim.

That said, while insurers sometimes ask for your current mileage, there's no way for them to tell what your mileage history is during years 1-2 and 2-3.

The other thing is, is it worth the hassle when increasing mileage is so cheap? I know I drive for a living and now have unlimited mileage but before that I initially had 50k allowance which was fast approaching so upped it to 100k and it cost something around £30.

The other thing is, is it worth the hassle when increasing mileage is so cheap? I know I drive for a living and now have unlimited mileage but before that I initially had 50k allowance which was fast approaching so upped it to 100k and it cost something around £30.

50k for an additional £30 is not the same for regular policies, if i increased from say 10 to 15k it would be at least £100 but I agree not worth the hassle

Reactions: m3gt2
If you say 6k miles on your policy and crash after 10 months with 8k miles they'll probably accept that you went over your estimate but at 18k miles they'll probably have something to say. Best case they reduce your payout, worst case they refuse the claim.

That said, while insurers sometimes ask for your current mileage, there's no way for them to tell what your mileage history is during years 1-2 and 2-3.

Not entirely true. By visiting the Government web site the recent MOT history of any vehicle can be established, provided the registration is known, together with any faults or failures associated with that vehicle at MOT time. For example, T888 DRH, Blue, Skoda Octavia, covered 13,320 miles between 26/09/18 and 09/08/19 and has issues flagged. Its all there for everyone, including Insurance Companies, to see and check! :cool:

I just checked for my pending renewal of my model S with comparethemarket, and found LV to be the cheapest by about £10. (£356).
IO don't bother with direct line, they are scum. they increase your premium each year as a loyalty penalty, and suspiciously refuse to be listed on any comparison sites. plus I hate the fact that I'm paying for their tedious adverts.

Reactions: Mcraciun and Keeper