Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance paid out $7000 for scrape on Tesla Model 3 bumper...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla Motor folks!

Wanted to get your thoughts on this.

Situation:
  • I live in a large urban city and I was parallel parking, going no more than 5 mph.
  • I slightly scraped the tesla on the left bumper as shown in the picture below.
  • I agree that I am 100% at fault for the scrape and I shared my insurance policy.
  • The video and images were uploaded to claims showing what I said above.
  • The claim on my insurance turned out to be $7000+.
  • The total amount didn't make sense in my opinion as I was expecting the number to be around $1000 for a typical car and $2000 for Tesla in a certified facility.
What can I do about this?

Thank you...

Attachments

• Picture_redacted.jpg
    Picture_redacted.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Repair_costs_summary.png
    Repair_costs_summary.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Repair_costs.pdf
    103.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Picture_2.jpg
    Picture_2.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Picture_3.jpg
    Picture_3.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 47
Your premiums were likely to increase for an at fault accident anyway.

How do I contest this?

You dont, thats the insurance companies job, if they choose to or not. Your insurance was going to increase for a reportable at fault accident anyway, so whether it was $1500 or 7k wasnt going to change that. Looks like bogus charges but it would have been the insurance companies job to contest it... before they paid.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Your premiums were likely to increase for an at fault accident anyway.

You dont, thats the insurance companies job, if they choose to or not. Your insurance was going to increase for a reportable at fault accident anyway, so whether it was $1500 or 7k wasnt going to change that. Looks like bogus charges but it would have been the insurance companies job to contest it... before they paid.
Thanks for the explanation. On my driving record, shouldn't the claim amount be recorded as well? That would affect my premiums right? A high claim should indicate higher risk and higher premiums.

Thanks for the explanation. On my driving record, shouldn't the claim amount be recorded as well? That would affect my premiums right? A high claim should indicate higher risk and higher premiums.
Thats a question for your insurance company. I doubt that there would be a difference in your insurance rates for an at fault accident that cost $1500 to fix, and $7000 to fix, even if thats the case ( and I dont believe it is).

In any case, it would have been your insurance companies decision to dispute (or not). The insurance company is not going to go back and try to take money back, if they already paid out they agreed to the charges.

As far as your insurance increase, an at fault accident raises rates. How much depends on what category you are in, whether you already have at fault accidents, how old you are, if you have tickets, etc.

If you dont like the increase, shop around for insurance.

• Helpful
Is this Tesla Collision Center or an independent certified shop? The estimate does not make sense, your insurance company likely will dispute that.

I have a far worse parking accident than yours, rear passenger door, rear quarter panel as noticeable scraping/dents, replaced door, rear quarter panel, rocker panel, repainted them including driver door, bumper, lights dissemble and reassemble, even bonus to repair the wheel rashes, for 11k at Tesla Collision Center. I see only scrapes and no dents in yours, if you don't have a factory perfect expectations, a good detailer can probably fix it with touch up paints ...

• Helpful
Is this Tesla Collision Center or an independent certified shop? The estimate does not make sense, your insurance company likely will dispute that.
They already paid it, according to the OP. We dont know whether the OPs insurance company disputed it or not, just that the OP says they paid it.

They paid out and that's all there is.

It appears to me that this OPs angle of discussion is:

"my insurance costs increased from $1200 to $4000 because of this accident. If the cost was less, my increase would be less, right?" which I dont think is the case.

I see only scrapes and no dents in yours, if you don't have a factory perfect expectations, a good detailer can probably fix it with touch up paints .
I see no mention at all that this is the OPs vehicle. In fact, It is my guess, based on the fact that the OP joined to post this question, how its phrased, etc that this is not the OPs car, and they dont have a Tesla themselves, so this OP did not get to pick where to take it to be repaired.

I see no mention at all that this is the OPs vehicle. In fact, It is my guess, based on the fact that the OP joined to post this question, how its phrased, etc that this is not the OPs car, and they dont have a Tesla themselves, so this OP did not get to pick where to take it to be repaired.
Duh, after rereading another post by the OP, I am surprised the insurance paid that. It's too late now, I doubted anything can be done.

Thanks. Sorry I didn't make it super explicitly clear but you are right. I scraped the tesla left bumper and I shared my insurance with the tesla owner. To me it, the claim was wild and the insurance paid for it.

To your earlier point, adjuster said they fought it but "that's what it is" because the auto collision shop is tesla certified and they had to take apart the items to paint then reinstall and calibrate.

Wow, sounds like insurance didn't get second opinion..
Best u can do now is switch insurance company, even if same price. Then go on BBB n leave negative review.

PS. It's possible owner knows the shop n was involved in upping the cost. Not sure if insurance deals directly with shop or owner just takes it to certified place...

All o see in the attached quote is the final adjustment. Not the one item for the $6.9k stuff.

But yes, it’s a rip off. Tesla will put on a new repainted bumper cover for significantly less.

It’s all the auto body shop / insurance racket. And of course they might try to claim DV too.

All o see in the attached quote is the final adjustment. Not the one item for the $6.9k stuff.

But yes, it’s a rip off. Tesla will put on a new repainted bumper cover for significantly less.

It’s all the auto body shop / insurance racket. And of course they might try to claim DV too.

The rest of the stuff is in the PDF the OP attached to the first post, called "repair_ costs".

Reactions: brkaus
Shops are big smartass dudes and can PLAY big corporate America insurance companies any day. Sad but true

It’s a big racketeering scheme and everyone knows that. Shush. The premiums will go up with car insurance. Which you and I pay. All good. **** the people

Reactions: ucmndd and brkaus
This, in a nutshell, is why the entire insurance industry in the US is a scam.

You have no recourse. There is no way to contest. Pay your new premium or find a new insurer.

It’s very obvious from this scenario why people do something like this and drive off. No good deed goes unpunished it seems…