Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance. It is that time of the year again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it is it'd only be by a few thousand (it's also a S75D), so nowhere near P100DL territory :)

It's made even more weird when we all know QBE underwrite Tesla's own offering.
The way I see it, Tesla don't have an offering. It is a QBE policy that Marsh Avantage - a brokerage service, creatively created what appeared to be Tesla Insurance. That means there are 2 layers of companies doing something that they would need to have motivation to be involved in the process. Marsh would need to improve their bottom line through volume of sales of QBE policies and Tesla - who would know. Usually going direct short term and avoiding the intermediarys can be cheaper but not always. If you can prove you are a good risk by going direct, it should be cheaper.

If it is it'd only be by a few thousand (it's also a S75D), so nowhere near P100DL territory :)

It's made even more weird when we all know QBE underwrite Tesla's own offering.
That is weird.
Maybe they are changing their mind on a regular basis.
I once had the same insurer write to let me know they no longer insure investment property in a certain area, and at the same time send me an email to renew my insurance at a different investment property in the same area, and about the same value.

Been a while since I've posted here.

I just looked at my invoice for this year's premiums with InsureMyTesla. In 2016 I paid $2196 ($1000 excess). In 2017 I paid $2470 (a bit of a jump but not enough to warrant going shopping). This year they want $3897! I will certainly be going shopping. I still have my 2014 P85 with 45000km on the clock.

I did make a claim a few months ago after I was rear-ended by a Porsche so I wonder if they have bumped me up because of that.

Been a while since I've posted here.

I just looked at my invoice for this year's premiums with InsureMyTesla. In 2016 I paid $2196 ($1000 excess). In 2017 I paid $2470 (a bit of a jump but not enough to warrant going shopping). This year they want $3897! I will certainly be going shopping. I still have my 2014 P85 with 45000km on the clock.

I did make a claim a few months ago after I was rear-ended by a Porsche so I wonder if they have bumped me up because of that.

Shouldn't make a difference as it wasn't your fault; the Porsche's insurance would have paid for yours.

I think they're conspiring against Tesla and maybe electric cars in general.

A quick look online and I can get cover with RACV with agreed value of $110,000 (probably too high) and $2000 excess for $1712.

Unless InsureMyTesla respond to my polite inquiry with a substantial reduction in premium, I think I'm about to go through a relationship breakup. I should say that when I made a claim through QBE a few months ago the service was exemplary, but that isn't enough to have me hand over an extra $2k.

When buying my Model S 75D last month I recieved a quote through insuremytesla, quoted $3900.

I went with Shannons who I have my other cars and house with, $2300.

For reference im 43 and the wife and I have no prior claims.

What annoys me, I signed up with CGU, when it comes up for renewal mid this year i'm going to loose my new for old replacement deal. Most Insurance companies will only do new for old if you've had the car from new and insured with them the whole time.

I just put a deposit for a 2015 Model S P90D Tesla Used Inventory and I can't seem to get a quote at all for my vehicle or that I can't get a quote under $5000. What the heck is happening here. I had BMW M3's and Merc AMG's >160k in value but no where >$3000 in premiums.

Hopefully, someone can brighten up my day.

Congrats on the tesla purchase!
If you read this thread there will be lots of insurance options suggested. You will definately get well under your current quote if you look at these options. ‘Tesla’ insurance is very expensive. I found it to be double. Around $5000 seems to be their normal answer.