Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insulate the battery in cold weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I started logging trip data with Dashboard for Tesla/TeslaFi and Minnesota just got a dose of winter so the data will come. Watching the app while my wife drives her non-insulated car slowly on short jaunts and me driving the insulated one far and fast, I'm convinced the increased range from insulating is substantial and after a couple more commutes I'll share the logs.
TFCooper, this reflectix is removable, and I plan to remove it when I change to summer tires, then replace it when the snow tires go on. That's why the big expense of Dual Lock.
I'll call the 3M salesman back today and will better know my cost for bulk orders of Dual Lock. But the single roll from China through Ebay costed $300 and will do two cars. Foil faced double bubble insulation costs $600 for 350 linear feet which should cover 53 batteries. So for now it seems materials costs upwards of $165.
While it's not hard to do or figure out, it takes time and patience. I wouldn't bore you with the details here, but if you buy a kit from me I'll print some instructions for guidance. For a price I'll help, or install the stuff if you're in the area and if my brother-in-law's lift near Plato MN is available. Or at your preferred garage. I work on call as a trainman so it might be difficult meshing schedules. Swapping vehicles might be the quickest way to git r done.

When insulating a home, there's the fiber glass, blown in and the Reflectix stuff. Though the latter sounds good on paper ("reflects IR and has a air gap") it really does very little compared to creating an air gap with something else.

Is Reflectix Foil Insulation a Good Bet for Your Home?
Reflective Insulation Fact vs. Fiction

Unless conditions are just perfect... it's basically not very good. You're talking about heat loss due to air (convection) and even contact with colder parts (such as the frame). In snow country, it can even get wet and then you're potentially talking about evaporation as well.

I suppose a good thermocouple or IR thermometer would be able to demonstrate a temperature difference with a pre- and post- drive...