Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TIL: Plaid acceleration mode continually conditions battery and affects HVAC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking at the owners manual for something and this piece about acceleration mode and energy consumption/efficiency caught my eye. I didn't know Plaid mode put the car into a different state. I've always kept acceleration mode on Plaid and wondered why even in stop-and-go traffic I cannot hit or beat the rated wh/mi and why AC is slightly less cool vs my old Model 3. Wondering if this is why? Has anyone ever noticed, albeit small, increase in energy consumption vs Chill or Sport acceleration mode? Figured this is a good FYI for cold weather or road trips to maximize efficiency and range.

Insane or Plaid strives to keep the Battery within an optimal temperature range. In addition to heating the Battery, these settings also cool the Battery when necessary (for example, while driving at high speeds, during rapid acceleration, driving for long periods, etc.).

You can improve the efficiency of the cabin heating by reducing your selected acceleration mode. This allows the heat pump system to take more heat from the Battery to efficiently heat the cabin, instead of maintaining the Battery's ability to provide peak acceleration performance. This helps to maximize driving efficiency in colder weather. Note that when subsequently increasing the acceleration mode, the Battery requires time to warm up before the increased level of acceleration is available.

I live under a rock and had not thought about this. Thanks for posting Blkswn. Makes sense. I still will likely stay in Plaid mode even on trips. On a side note I love the heating and cooling benefits of that subterranean life even if the trade off is deep nescience about Tesla efficiencies.

Huh, I knew that and don’t even own a Plaid.

You’d have to live under a rock to not know constant battery conditioning is gonna chew up watts.
I understand that, but didn’t think the car would constantly be conditioning the battery when insane/plaid mode is selected and you’re not smashing the accelerator. Active conditioning can be heard on track and drag mode but there’s no audible or visual indication of such conditioning on a simple toggle of an acceleration mode. No reason to heat/cool to optimal temperature when driving down the street to the store.

Rock dweller chiming in 👍🏻

Mswlogo’s needless snark aside, I doubt a lot of people know this.

Enabling drag strip/track mode, ludicrous+, or other max performance settings? Sure, makes sense. Simply enabling “plaid” on the acceleration setting buried in the controls menu as I’m sure almost everyone who owns a plaid does? News to me.

Simple solution. Keep it in sport mode. Get the S3XY buttons. Map one to the Plaid mode. One tap and you are in Plaid. Much faster than fumbling through all the menus. The Sport mode makes it a little bit quicker than the refreshed LR. So basically you have about a ~10.7@130 car.

I had a LR and it was quick enough to beat everything I encountered on the street, your hood may vary. Not saying there aren't some out there, but the stock LR is Lambo fast. With a quick S3XY button tap, you can have it when you need it.

Reactions: mswlogo
Rock dweller chiming in 👍🏻

Mswlogo’s needless snark aside, I doubt a lot of people know this.

Enabling drag strip/track mode, ludicrous+, or other max performance settings? Sure, makes sense. Simply enabling “plaid” on the acceleration setting buried in the controls menu as I’m sure almost everyone who owns a plaid does? News to me.
I've had a plaid since Sept 2021. I have never moved the setting from Plaid. I had no clue, I thought just like you said @ucmndd said, it only changes the cooling profile under drag strip mode.
Here's the link to the Manual where it has this info.
Since I live in warm So Cal. I suspect that I would not noice much if any difference since the car has probably only used the HVAC to heat the interior maybe twice.
For me Plaid mode remains. The car is STUPID efficient compared to my two previous MS's so I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: byeLT4
That's very strange
Yeah, I drive around in ludicrous mode and can get the same efficiency as chill or sport mode. I almost never enable ludicrous+ mode since it wastes so much energy, blows the fans just driving around leisurely, and really doesn't make a big difference in available power. I'm surprised at how much different Plaid and Sport modes are in performance since sport is the only one that doesn't constantly condition the battery. This is a bigger detriment to the plaid than I thought.

Or am I blowing the downsides to Plaid mode out of proportion? Are they not as intrusive as Ludicrous+ is?

That's very strange

Yeah, I drive around in ludicrous mode and can get the same efficiency as chill or sport mode. I almost never enable ludicrous+ mode since it wastes so much energy, blows the fans just driving around leisurely, and really doesn't make a big difference in available power. I'm surprised at how much different Plaid and Sport modes are in performance since sport is the only one that doesn't constantly condition the battery. This is a bigger detriment to the plaid than I thought.

Or am I blowing the downsides to Plaid mode out of proportion? Are they not as intrusive as Ludicrous+ is?
The only downside to Plaid mode is your smile muscles in your face can get fatigued.

I drive in Plaid 24/7 so this thread spooked me. I made a trip down to the local service center and their message was clear:

The only drive mode that affects drive train conditioning is Drag Strip Mode.

Comfort, Sport, and Plaid only tune the response curves of the pedal. Comfort and Sport curves max out below total available power.

If you drive like Confort in Plaid mode, you get Comfort mileage.

They said to confirm there is no unexpected drain, I should visit the Energy app after a trip. If Plaid was causing the drain, it would be listed on that screen just like Drag Strip mode gets listed.

Reactions: Beandoc
I drive in Plaid 24/7 so this thread spooked me. I made a trip down to the local service center and their message was clear:

The only drive mode that affects drive train conditioning is Drag Strip Mode.

Comfort, Sport, and Plaid only tune the response curves of the pedal. Comfort and Sport curves max out below total available power.

If you drive like Confort in Plaid mode, you get Comfort mileage.

They said to confirm there is no unexpected drain, I should visit the Energy app after a trip. If Plaid was causing the drain, it would be listed on that screen just like Drag Strip mode gets listed.
I agree. I think the manual is incorrect and is confusing Plaid mode with Drag Strip Mode. I don't have any scientific proof, but this makes the most sense to me. There's never any mention of it in the Energy app, even in Seattle in the winter.

Reactions: Muzzman1