Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Mode vs. battery degradtion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering how Range Mode might affect battery degradation. In my understanding Range Mode switches on battery heating at a lower temperature threshold or battery cooling at a higher temperature threshold, basically letting the battery cycle more outside of the it's ideal temperature range.
On the other hand it will decrease the battery temperature swings, which might be good for the battery.

In my case I am trying to figure out whether I should use Range Mode during short, 2-3km trips. During those trips battery heating warms the battery, then I stop, so it starts to cool down, then I start to drive again, so it starts to warm up again, so lot's of temperature swings, lots of extra consumption.

E.g. this morning in -2C my first drive was 2 km long, battery heater was on during the whole trip. Then after 6 minutes of parking, another 2.3km drive, no battery heating this time. 6 minutes later another 2.3km, no battery heating. 26 minutes later 2.5km, battery heater on during the whole trip. 48 minutes later, 2.3km, no battery heating.

Last edited:
Did you ever receive a reply?

I would also agree with you, and suggest leaving Range Mode ON during short trips in cold weather to prevent the constant heating and cooling cycles you mention. It makes perfect sense to me in terms of battery longevity.