Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indiana Tesla owners and future owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, everyone!
Just became a new Tesla owner of a 2013 MS P85 (gift from my brother, he's buying a new one). Figured it would be fun to learn about how electric vehicles work. I'm sure there are not very many cars in Lafayette, IN where I live, but at least there is a supercharger station here.

I work in Lafayette and live halfway to Indianapolis from here. I see a couple Model S's, at least one Model X, and 2-3 Model 3s (same ones I think) on my commute if I'm paying attention.

Hi, everyone!
Just became a new Tesla owner of a 2013 MS P85 (gift from my brother, he's buying a new one). Figured it would be fun to learn about how electric vehicles work. I'm sure there are not very many cars in Lafayette, IN where I live, but at least there is a supercharger station here.
Welcome! I am one of the other Lafayette Tesla owners. There are probably more around than you think, and the numbers are definitely increasing. I think you'll find once you settle into the groove that you don't actually use our local supercharger very often, since you'll do virtually all of your charging in your garage overnight (and when you do road trips you'll be charging somewhere other than here).

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks!
I haven't gotten the car yet, will be driving it up from florida in a couple weeks, so I'll learn about long distance driving with an EV!
not sure if I'm going to spend the $ on a 240 volt garage charger. Lafayette is a pretty small town and I only live a couple miles from meijers, so I figured I can do a weekly charge for free. Figured I drive about 10 miles to work round trip, so I think I might even be able to plug it in to the wall at night.
My brother said I should look into 19 inch wheels since it snows here (it has 21 inch wheels that he says wear our quickly and don't work on snow).
Any advice/wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks!
I haven't gotten the car yet, will be driving it up from florida in a couple weeks, so I'll learn about long distance driving with an EV!
not sure if I'm going to spend the $ on a 240 volt garage charger. Lafayette is a pretty small town and I only live a couple miles from meijers, so I figured I can do a weekly charge for free. Figured I drive about 10 miles to work round trip, so I think I might even be able to plug it in to the wall at night.
My brother said I should look into 19 inch wheels since it snows here (it has 21 inch wheels that he says wear our quickly and don't work on snow).
Any advice/wisdom would be much appreciated.
You can always start out with charging it off 120 overnight and see how that goes. That, supplemented with occasional local supercharging, might work for you. Just so you know, generally speaking frequent use of one's local supercharger is frowned upon (though some people, myself included, believe if you patronize the sponsoring business [in this case, Meijer] then it's cool).
If you look through these forums you can find endless discussions of wheels (or, really, any even-remotely-Tesla-related topic).

Just noticed that they doubled the number of HPWCs at the Indianapolis service center has been increased from 10 to 15ish. But what’s more interesting is they have added 2 Superchargers. These appear to be traditional v2 SC (not urban or v3). They are mounted on a steel pallet but the pallet looks like it is a permanent fixture. It doesn’t look like there will be any more installed. These SCs don’t show up on the car navigation and are probably intended for use by the service center however my wife charged there after closing hours and they worked five

Just noticed that they doubled the number of HPWCs at the Indianapolis service center has been increased from 10 to 15ish. But what’s more interesting is they have added 2 Superchargers. These appear to be traditional v2 SC (not urban or v3). They are mounted on a steel pallet but the pallet looks like it is a permanent fixture. It doesn’t look like there will be any more installed. These SCs don’t show up on the car navigation and are probably intended for use by the service center however my wife charged there after closing hours and they worked five
Those mobile pallet, "temporary superchargers" are usually limited to 50 kW power though. So, potential users beware. If you end up getting a low charging rate, don't get caught unprepared.

We recently noticed the same thing here at a Seattle area (Bellevue) service center. 2 superchargers. Some folks on our forum queried the SC staff to see if these were available to the public, and the staff said they were meant for service center purposes only. That being said, they haven't yet stopped people from the public from connecting up and using them.

Hello all, I’m a Model 3 owner in Fort Wayne willing to help others in the area setup either a 14-50 outlet or wall connector at home. I’m a former electrician and current electrical engineer who just wants to help fellow owners avoid the shame of charging via 120v extension cords. Not trying to run a business here, just want to help fellow owners out.

Reactions: Araman0
Hello all!
Recently had a family reunion where a relative brought their new Model 3, suffice it to say many were amazed by it and many a test ride was had. My parents and my aunt were particularly keen about it and are seriously thinking of placing orders, their only concern is what it's like to live in rural-ish Indiana with an electric vehicle. Can any of you speak of your experience with this? Also how has your experience been with the Indy service center? They both live around ~2 hours away from where it's located, so are there mobile techs around here for smaller issues instead of having to go all the way to Indy?
Any help is much appreciated, I've been a massive tesla fan for a long time and I hope to be an owner soon when it's in the cards for me!

Hello all!
Recently had a family reunion where a relative brought their new Model 3, suffice it to say many were amazed by it and many a test ride was had. My parents and my aunt were particularly keen about it and are seriously thinking of placing orders, their only concern is what it's like to live in rural-ish Indiana with an electric vehicle. Can any of you speak of your experience with this? Also how has your experience been with the Indy service center? They both live around ~2 hours away from where it's located, so are there mobile techs around here for smaller issues instead of having to go all the way to Indy?
Any help is much appreciated, I've been a massive tesla fan for a long time and I hope to be an owner soon when it's in the cards for me!
Can we expect your friend ElectricSoybean to be joining us soon? ;)
As long as you have a home charger it really doesn't matter whether you live in Major Metropolis or South Hicksville, since you'll be pretty much self-contained. We've had mostly pretty good experiences with the Indy Service Center, though they're very busy these days and seem to be getting busier. There are mobile techs around -- I've had one out a couple of times in the 3+ years we've had our Tesla. Sometimes they can take care of things, sometimes not. Your big concern being a Tesla owner in Indiana -- which you, of course, hope you never have to face -- is major (i.e., collision) repair. There's only one authorized repair place, and between their schedule and Tesla's slowness in parts-related matters you could be looking at a long time without your car (3+ months in my case). I don't know if that situation might be somewhat better with the 3s, though.

Can we expect your friend ElectricSoybean to be joining us soon? ;)
As long as you have a home charger it really doesn't matter whether you live in Major Metropolis or South Hicksville, since you'll be pretty much self-contained. We've had mostly pretty good experiences with the Indy Service Center, though they're very busy these days and seem to be getting busier. There are mobile techs around -- I've had one out a couple of times in the 3+ years we've had our Tesla. Sometimes they can take care of things, sometimes not. Your big concern being a Tesla owner in Indiana -- which you, of course, hope you never have to face -- is major (i.e., collision) repair. There's only one authorized repair place, and between their schedule and Tesla's slowness in parts-related matters you could be looking at a long time without your car (3+ months in my case). I don't know if that situation might be somewhat better with the 3s, though.
Haha! Electrified plant-life seems to be a popular name around here ;)
I’d love the idea of waking up with a “full tank” every morning and not having to stop at these nasty gas stations with their volatile gas prices. The costly repairs and massive wait times are definitely high on my list of concerns. I’ve never had an accident luckily, but I know of the “new car curse” all too well. I did not, however, know only one body shop was Tesla certified in Indiana, I bet they keep themselves very busy haha. I actually talked with a local owner here in Columbus at Cummins AEOS launch event a few months back and he said he had been waiting a month and a half at that point for his car to be repaired after he got into a minor rear end collision. That’s just crazy! Seems like parts availability should be high on Tesla’s list of priority’s and if they fixed that, Tesla would be an absolute no-brainer. Although I did hear at the investor day yesterday Elon talking about mobile techs starting to do some minor body/cosmetic repairs, so there may be hope on that front.
Thanks for the reply! My family and I hope to join the Indiana owners club very soon :)