Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improve cooling of drivetrain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it's a bummer as it's such a joy to go lapping in the Model S if you discount the power limits.

I bit the bullet and bought an ICE for racing in chumpcar. :)

For autocross for me, the Model S accel limiter isn't an issue for me.

For higher speed activities (lapping), it's a kill joy and is holding me back from fully experiencing the tracks. This, frankly, is starting to make me consider buying an ICE for such activities. :( This makes me unhappy.

On the track with power limiting it is acceleration that is reduced, not necessarily top speed. Toward the end of my track day (about 20 laps IIC) I was still able to PASS two other cars because there was enough space between us on the back straightaway and my exit speed was pretty high. That was a kick for me!

And as you can se, the 997 GT2 has no problem blasting past me
That doesn't seem something to be ashamed about:
Porsche 997 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GT2
This is the most powerful and fastest road-going 911 GT2 ever to be sold to the public.
The GT2 accelerates in 3.6 seconds to 60 mph (97 km/h) and in 7.4 seconds to 100 mph (160 km/h) and has top speed of 329 km/h (204 mph). This makes it the first Porsche 911 GT2 to exceed the 200 mph (320 km/h) top speed after the 1998 Porsche 911 GT1 Race Version (which is not considered an actual Porsche 911 due to its mid-mounted engine and it only saw roads for homologation purposes). The Porsche 997 GT2 has a curb weight of 1,440 kg (3,170 lb). The only transmission choice is a 6-speed manual gearbox.

The GT2 is the first Porsche equipped with launch control.

If cars in this class are being compared with Tesla's first sedan at a track and it's not a laughable comparison, I'd say Tesla's doing pretty damn good.

Well, in evidence against my earlier thoughts that they might be, the post by doug on THIS PAGE at 10-26-2011, 03:15 PM states that a conversation he had with JB says the same: they aren't cooling the rotor despite the patent.

(zombie thread alert)

Well, to potentially contradict this yet again, Michael Elias, ("Eldis" @ diyelectriccarforums.com) has a Tesla drivetrain he's dug in to in order to support the universal controller he's built to allow control of any inverter/motor setup. He's pretty familiar with this stuff.

He states in his video that the rotor is indeed liquid cooled:

Now, this drivetrain is out of a Mercedes Benz B-series, but as you can see it's basically the same as a Model S motor. They could opted to cool the rotor in the MB application, but not do so in the Model S... but that would seem odd given the Model S is the higher-performing car...

Last edited by a moderator: