Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm excited from the day one and am more & more excited. Digest the comparison! Change is a natural phenomenon-look ahead.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Name one pickup truck in the global market that has steer by wire? The Lexus "SUV" that looks like it's on a golf sized platform above isn't even in the same class. I have a feeling this innovation is going to piss off some of the stale, legacy automakers. It doesn't really matter, if their unions get what they want they will innovate themselves out of business.
Why are you specifically qualifying trucks only? Ok first truck with steer by wire, sure. But not the first ever vehicle with steer by wire. Meaning the technology/concept is not a new Tesla created innovation.

That’s like saying Apple invented widgets when they launched iOS 16 because it was the first iOS with widgets.

Why are you specifically qualifying trucks only? Ok first truck with steer by wire, sure. But not the first ever vehicle with steer by wire. Meaning the technology/concept is not a new Tesla created innovation.

That’s like saying Apple invented widgets when they launched iOS 16 because it was the first iOS with widgets.

Yeah, this isn't some super innovative tech. It's nice to have, sure, even necessary with the yoke, but Tesla's version isn't proven yet and I can't imagine it being a huge deciding factor in purchasing a car.

Reactions: E90alex
Yeah, this isn't some super innovative tech. It's nice to have, sure, even necessary with the yoke, but Tesla's version isn't proven yet and I can't imagine it being a huge deciding factor in purchasing a car.
Same for 48V electrical system. Yes it’s new and innovative but it mostly benefits manufacturing costs by reducing the amount of wire needed. The end user will see no difference between 12V and 48V cars and it would not be a deciding factor when purchasing.

Same for 48V electrical system. Yes it’s new and innovative but it mostly benefits manufacturing costs by reducing the amount of wire needed. The end user will see no difference between 12V and 48V cars and it would not be a deciding factor when purchasing.
In the Munro/Musk interview, it was also stated to have less nodes. That means even more savings and probably better for servicing the car.

Don't tell the Tesla fanboys! :) Their response will be , yeah but is it 48v steer by wire? Because that's makes all the difference in the world for the owner right? :cool: Tongue in cheek reply - as the primary beneficiary of 48v is the manufacturer via reduced cost (less wiring, smaller components, etc.).
It's not available, yet. "End of 2024" is the predicted timeline per Lexus.

Last edited:
Stop with the facts it’s ruining their punchline!
The fact that the Nissan Q50+ introduced steer-by-wire in 2013 seems to support the punchline. Then another fanboy moved the goal post to the first without a hydraulic backup - but here's the thing - the Tesla steer-by-wire has triple redundancy via electric backups - according to various videos about it. Redundancy, regardless of the type employed, is required for something as critical as steering from a safety standpoint. And the fact remains that the Nissan/Infiniti Q50/Q60 vehicles have had these options for many years now. Tesla is not the first.

That doesn't mean it's not laudable on some level - as Tesla has likely done a good job of it overall. Tesla is a very good engineering company IMHO, and they deserve credit where credit is due. It remains to be seen just how good the Tesla steer-by-wire actually is. The early reviews seem positive - but most of these early reviewers are also embedded well within the insular Tesla community, so it'll be interesting to see what more objective reviewers have to say about it over the next several months. But in so far as being the first, not so much.

The fact that the Nissan Q50+ introduced steer-by-wire in 2013 seems to support the punchline. Then another fanboy moved the goal post to the first without a hydraulic backup - but here's the thing - the Tesla steer-by-wire has triple redundancy via electric backups - according to various videos about it. Redundancy, regardless of the type employed, is required for something as critical as steering from a safety standpoint. And the fact remains that the Nissan/Infiniti Q50/Q60 vehicles have had these options for many years now. Tesla is not the first.

That doesn't mean it's not laudable on some level - as Tesla has likely done a good job of it overall. Tesla is a very good engineering company IMHO, and they deserve credit where credit is due. It remains to be seen just how good the Tesla steer-by-wire actually is. The early reviews seem positive - but most of these early reviewers are also embedded well within the insular Tesla community, so it'll be interesting to see what more objective reviewers have to say about it over the next several months. But in so far as being the first, not so much.
Tesla is the first to bring true steer by wire to market. Lexus will be the 2nd.

There's no moving the goalposts.

What Nissan did was different with he clutch. By all engineering experts it's a different experience from both Lexus and Tesla good and bad with no real feedback.

Citing that someone else did it is disingenuous at best. It wasn't even allowed in many ststaes until 2023.

STILL Lots wrong with this chart:
  • F150L cargo volume would include another 51+ cu ft in the 2nd row of the cab.
  • F150L cargo locations also include 2 glove boxes, on-dash-tray, center console, sunglasses.
  • F150L bed "width" is 60" at the tailgate, front, and above the wheel humps.
  • F150L Driver assist. includes adaptive cruise control, front collision avoidance, rear collision avoidance, lane keeping assist, lane change warning, and trailer backing and hitch assist. Also 360 camera view and cargo bed camera.
  • Ford and Rivian (and all other CCS EVs) have >10,000 fast chargers available in the U.S.
    33 Tesla Superchargers ALREADY enabled for non-Tesla charging.
    15,000 more coming in 2024.
    (my bet is this will happen long before Cybertruck widespread availability)
  • F150L has electric rack and pinion steering (not sure what "standard" steering is).
  • F150L has an integrated security system. Also includes trailer security. Also locking tailgate. Lariat pkg includes wheel locks.
  • F150L infotainment includes Carplay for iOS and Android.
  • F150L infotainment includes 12" driver instrument panel.
  • F150L power includes 2 in-cab 120V outlets.
  • F150L power includes 12v outlets front, rear, frunk, and bed. Also USB. Lariat includes wireless phone charging.
  • F150L Lariat price is currently $5000 lower due to dealer incentive from Ford (through end of year).

Plus:
  • F150L Frunk is power open/close.
  • F150L Lariat package includes running boards, tailgate step, power tailgate, and power sliding rear window. Not available on Tesla.
  • F150L Lariat package includes Carpeted Floor Mats. Tesla floor mats extra charge option.
  • F150L Lariat package includes the 80 amp Power Station Pro and Mobile charger.
  • F150L body is all-aluminum body panels for weight reduction and corrosion-free paint.
  • F150L has a full sized spare stowed under-frame. Tesla spare tire option is $1250 and takes space in the bed.
  • Choice of 9 std colors + 3 premium metallic colors (+$495 to $795).

Last edited:
Tesla is the first to bring true steer by wire to market. Lexus will be the 2nd.

There's no moving the goalposts.

What Nissan did was different with he clutch. By all engineering experts it's a different experience from both Lexus and Tesla good and bad with no real feedback.

Citing that someone else did it is disingenuous at best. It wasn't even allowed in many ststaes until 2023.
Say what you want - but Nissan introcuced a true steer-by-wire variable ratio system on the Infiniti Q50 back in 2013:

The hydraulic clutch was for backup purposes and for when the vehicle is off (so that steering is still possible when the vehicle has no power). I'm not saying Tesla hasn't done something laudable here, I'm simply saying they weren't the first, which is something Musk explicitly stated was the case in his interview with Sandy Munro, and others have since parroted both here on TMC and on other forums and groups.

Reactions: E90alex
Say what you want - but Nissan introcuced a true steer-by-wire variable ratio system on the Infiniti Q50 back in 2013:

The hydraulic clutch was for backup purposes and for when the vehicle is off (so that steering is still possible when the vehicle has no power). I'm not saying Tesla hasn't done something laudable here, I'm simply saying they weren't the first, which is something Musk explicitly stated was the case in his interview with Sandy Munro, and others have since parroted both here on TMC and on other forums and groups.
I disagree.

Lexus was doing the same thing when they thought that theirs would be available this year, saying they would be the first with a true steer-by-wire, because it is different. It was obviously delayed.

A true steer-by-wire wasn't even legal in all states until 2023. A manual backup was required and there are a ton of reviews and message board posts that the electronic steer by wire periodically went out on the Q50s...maybe that will happen with the CT and it will just fail or maybe the way the Q50 was designed, the clutch kicked in quicker.

I disagree.

Lexus was doing the same thing when they thought that theirs would be available this year, saying they would be the first with a true steer-by-wire, because it is different. It was obviously delayed.

A true steer-by-wire wasn't even legal in all states until 2023. A manual backup was required and there are a ton of reviews and message board posts that the electronic steer by wire periodically went out on the Q50s...maybe that will happen with the CT and it will just fail or maybe the way the Q50 was designed, the clutch kicked in quicker.
Well of course it's a different system - I'm sure Nissan has a patent on their system since they were the first to bring it to market back in 2013 and have been improving it ever since. It's really semantics you're arguing here - the bottom line is that Nissan has had a steer-by-wire system since 2013. There is no arguing against this simple fact and only a fanboy would argue otherwise.

1702317377079.png

Nissan introduced the second generation DAS (Direct Adaptive Steering) in 2017, three years after introducing this new technology in 2013 in the 2015 model year (September 2013). DAS is currently on it's third generation with 4th generation in progress.

Unlike Lexus - this tech has been in production models QX60/Q50 since 2013. Like Tesla, it has three redundant controllers. It is being worked on as part of the transition to autonomous driving and is fully integrated with Nissan's suite of driver safety systems.

Again, I'm not taking anything away from Tesla other than the fact that they aren't the first to market with steer-by-wire, despite the false claims otherwise. Hopefully Tesla has done this better than anyone else - and when it comes to engineering these types of systems from the ground up - generally Tesla has the engineering talent to do so and I certainly hope this is the case with the new Tesla steer by wire in the CT.

Well of course it's a different system - I'm sure Nissan has a patent on their system since they were the first to bring it to market back in 2013 and have been improving it ever since. It's really semantics you're arguing here - the bottom line is that Nissan has had a steer-by-wire system since 2013. There is no arguing against this simple fact and only a fanboy would argue otherwise.

View attachment 998389

Nissan introduced the second generation DAS (Direct Adaptive Steering) in 2017, three years after introducing this new technology in 2013 in the 2015 model year (September 2013). DAS is currently on it's third generation with 4th generation in progress.

Unlike Lexus - this tech has been in production models QX60/Q50 since 2013. Like Tesla, it has three redundant controllers. It is being worked on as part of the transition to autonomous driving and is fully integrated with Nissan's suite of driver safety systems.

Again, I'm not taking anything away from Tesla other than the fact that they aren't the first to market with steer-by-wire, despite the false claims otherwise. Hopefully Tesla has done this better than anyone else - and when it comes to engineering these types of systems from the ground up - generally Tesla has the engineering talent to do so and I certainly hope this is the case with the new Tesla steer by wire in the CT.
Wonder what they did with the suspension.. The MR tech is pretty cool: