Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idiot Moments with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, the rental car. Right. No problems with the Tesla, really, but last time I got a rental car:

• Several times I walked up to the car... stood there for a second, and then dug into my pocket for the keyfob
  • Then I would get in belt up, and then had to dig in my pocket again for the car keys
  • ...which were of course in my hand a few seconds ago when I unlocked the doors.
  • A couple of times I got out of the car, looked at it... and leaned back in and retrieved the key from the ignition
  • Constantly frustrated with the throttle lag, then the car would wind up with this big sound, and then not much would happen
  • My portable GPS kept unplugging itself, and the batteries are tired so it would power off at all the wrong moments
  • Returning the car at LAX, I couldn't figure out how to open the gas tank door. Totally failed to find it - I eventually gave up and returned car with partial tank. (Tip: some cars have it on the sidewall right underneath the driver's door. Like I could ever find that at night...)

Clearly the Model S reprograms your car-brain.

Reactions: BLKMDL3
Just got my car for a week now. Yesterday evening, I wanted to clean my window. I was on the highway and it was already dark. It wasn't raining, the window was just a tad dirty. On all of my previous cars, you pull back on the windshield wiper handle for a short spray + some wiper-strokes... So I did.
Instead of window cleaner being sprayed on my window, my high beam lights were lighting up the road in front of me. Including lighting up the insides of the next car, about a 75 meters (275 ft.) in front of me. They instantly hit the breaks for a short period.
When I passed them, the people in that car really looked pissed at me. I was sorry and really didn't mean to do that. I even said so, but of course they could not hear me.
We need a sorry-I-messed-up-button.

For the first week of ownership I assumed my car didn't come with washer fluid. I'd press the windshield wiper button on the stalk, and the only thing that happened was the wipers would go on, no water being sprayed... then I accidentally pressed it harder. Whoops.

• Funny
Reactions: BLKMDL3 and Fresco
For the first week of ownership I assumed my car didn't come with washer fluid. I'd press the windshield wiper button on the stalk, and the only thing that happened was the wipers would go on, no water being sprayed... then I accidentally pressed it harder. Whoops.

Same thing. I was literally on my way to the auto parts store to buy fluid when I was like "hey, there's two arrows on this symbol, I wonder..." and bam, out came my washer fluid.

I had this exact problem for a few days until the accidental harder push. Unfortunately I was standing outside the car and got sprayed a bit.

I've driven the car for a good 6 months... my wife drives it for the first time last weekend (very nervous), and while on the highway, puts the car into neutral by mistake, when she tried to turn the wipers on. I was keenly watching (her, not her driving!) and noticed this immediately, so I helped her get it back into drive ASAP, as otherwise it could have become a dangerous situation. Later in the trip, I take over driving, AND DO THE SAME THING. 6 months, no issues, yet as soon as I see her do it, somehow I end up repeating the mistake lol.

About a month after I received the car I was in a parking lot, when a guy asked me if I could give him a Jump start. Felt like a an idiot when I had such a large battery however couldn't start an engine. Other then that nothing too much.

Adding to the 'Duh' list. After a week plus of ownership, went to pick up a buddy. Couldn't remember for the life of me where the door locks where.
Ended up rolling down the window so he could pop the door handle from the inside. To make it worse, he showed me on the Controls screen where the unlock button is, EVEN THOUGH HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A TESLA!
I are SMRT smart.

I've had my Model S for over a year, and thought I had gotten past these "idiot moments". Last week, I wanted to use the wiper fluid to clean the windshield, and pushed the "park" button in, at 65 mph on the freeway! I was very happy that the car told me that it wasn't allowed.

I've had my Model S for over a year, and thought I had gotten past these "idiot moments". Last week, I wanted to use the wiper fluid to clean the windshield, and pushed the "park" button in, at 65 mph on the freeway! I was very happy that the car told me that it wasn't allowed.

I've been accidentally putting my car in Neutral far too often. The controls are exact reverse from my prev. car, so its a bit confusing.

I've done this but I've pushed it and held it, which activates the emergency brakes ... Whoops!

This thread is entertaining... maybe someone can give me a tip - we have a LEAF now with plan to upgrade to Model S next year. The problem is that about half the time when my wife drives the LEAF, she forgets to plug it in when she comes into the house. If I don't happen to notice, then I don't have enough charge the following day.

Should I tell her that once we get the Tesla, if I should die before her, she should go ahead and sell the car so that she doesn't end up getting stranded?

This thread is entertaining... maybe someone can give me a tip - we have a LEAF now with plan to upgrade to Model S next year. The problem is that about half the time when my wife drives the LEAF, she forgets to plug it in when she comes into the house. If I don't happen to notice, then I don't have enough charge the following day.

Should I tell her that once we get the Tesla, if I should die before her, she should go ahead and sell the car so that she doesn't end up getting stranded?

I used to have a Unix script running which would text me if my car was not plugged in at 9pm.
When the car got sleep mode the script stopped working (granted I could disable sleep mode).
That helped train me.