Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idiot Moments with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't beat yourself up about that. No harm done so not a major face palm moment IMO.
While standing in my front yard I once saw an ICE car driving down my block with a gas station nozzle and 10 ft of hose attached stuck in the fuel filler hole. Incredible as it may sound, the driver must have filled their tank, paid, and forgot to remove the nozzle before driving away, ripping the hose out of the gas pump and not being aware of what they had done. The closest gas station was almost a mile away. One of my neighbors was also in his front yard (we were doing some gardening) and he saw the car too. We just stared at each other, speechless.

True story.

Now that is a major face palm.

I saw this at a gas station about a mile from my house, except the driver had pulled the entire gas pump off its mount and dragged it into the road before realizing it.

There was no fire and no major spillage of gas, but fire department came and sprayed a little foam, I guess just for the fun of using the equipment.

I heard a thump in my frunk every time I accelerated from a stop. It worried me but not too much since the car seemed to function normally. I called the service center. Took it over there. Come to find out it was my basketball. I've had that basketball in my frunk since about day 2. I never heard any noise from it in the first 6 months. Then magically one day. I don't think I opened the frunk the previous 2 weeks before the noise. #brainfart

I picked the car up from having the windows tinted and on the way home I couldn't engage the TACC. The car would just beep and display "Cruise control not available." I was on the phone with my wife at the time and after hearing me puzzle over this for 10 minutes, she asked "Did you forget to take the car out of valet mode?"

- Multiple times exiting the car while it was in Drive...
- Leaving a supercharger and getting on the highway with the charge port open...
- Supercharging and getting onto the roadway only to be encountered by 60 miles or so of RED traffic (quickly exited at the next exit and
took an alternative route but hadn't accounted for the detour...)

I picked the car up from having the windows tinted and on the way home I couldn't engage the TACC. The car would just beep and display "Cruise control not available." I was on the phone with my wife at the time and after hearing me puzzle over this for 10 minutes, she asked "Did you forget to take the car out of valet mode?"
There's no way I'd last 10 minutes without discovering valet mode -- just from pedal response.

About every 50th trip, when I get home in the garage... I reach up to the spot on my dash where the key used to be in my previous car, and I try to grab and rotate an imaginary key to OFF... grasping only air. Oh, ya.. no key.

Talk about entrenched muscle memory.

Took an airplane to visit family. Rented an ICE car. Went to the grocery store.
When I returned to the car there was a family standing around it. They told me they were concerned.
I had left the keys in the car, the engine running, the radio on. I just walked away from it like I usually do with my Tesla.
For some reason, the ICE car didn't turn itself off and lock up.

I declare a tie:

Waiting for an hour extra for a range charge to complete... at the top of a 4000 ft mountain.

Moved the right scroll wheel to change the audio input while driving in a hard rainstorm. Why is the fact that it was raining significant?

Because I had last used the right scroll wheel to open the pano roof. :mad:

• Funny
Reactions: Fresco
The guy in that video should have stopped at the house he drove by and plugged in, 110V is better than a tow!

The guy in that video (me) made all sorts of poor choices. I was at a house when I started the drive...a friend's house, and could easily have borrowed an hour or two of 110v. There's a whole thread on this incident where I detail the comedy of errors.