Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICEd Picture Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
photo-10.JPG
Delaware Supercharger July 4th

That 2nd (lower) sign would appear to make it ok for a well maintained newish Saturn to park there. Tow-Away warnings would be much more effective.

But once again we have EVSE (not visible) right in front of a store. Not necessary and just asking for disrespect.
--

I think this is largely a matter of public education. People don't yet think it through.
And it's not "old folk" that are set in their ways. I politely suggested to a college aged driver in Ellensburg that he might want to use the 2 open spots that weren't marked with obvious EV signs. He didn't seem stupid or misguided, just scarily unobservant. When I park (in every car I've ever had), I'm paranoid at times of getting towed so I look at the signs carefully. I guess most people just don't give a flip and get towed a lot.

This was despite me being parked, with a visible cord attached, at the Roadster HPC spot in the same parking lot a few feet away.

An ICEing in the museum dedicated to the "father of electricity"

Well, there is a first time for everything, and my first public charging started with ICEing. Drove to the Franklin Institute in Philly, where PlugShare showed me 2 EV Chargers in their garage. Now, I am a member, so I had some free parking passes, which is a great deal on "free charging". On arrival, I find that there are 2 chargers with 3 spots where the cords will reach and they are ALL marked as handicapped and nowhere does it say EV charging or anything else. They are also prime spots for museum entry I guess due to their being handicapped. Of course all of them were taken up when I arrived (3 x ICE and 1 x non-plugin Prius) presumably with handicapped-plated vehicles (I was too frustrated and late to exhibition entry time to check):

image_1.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

I had to drive down to the lower level trying to spot any kind of outlet - found a 12A service outlet on the wall and plugged in for the miserly 3mi/hr gain

image.jpeg

The day improved though when we finished walking through the exhibition (one hour later) and one of the spots freed up and I managed to plug into the 30A Blink charger
image_4.jpeg

image_6.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

I managed to get it back up to 233 by the time we were back to drive home...

I was sort of scared to be ticketed for being parked in a spot ONLY marked handicapped but remembered I don't have a plate yet! I wish they would either mark the spots and/or move or add chargers somewhere out of the way and further to the entrance. I can walk further if it means I am charging! I will write them a letter in hopes of this happening, but I am not holding my breath...

Last edited:
They asked for it. "Clean Air Vehicle" is too vague. Each of these vehicles is just as "clean" as the next.
Vague? Yes and I suspect those offenders know nothing about the smog score/EPA pollution score of their vehicles. The latter isn't true. I doubt most of those are SULEV or PZEV rated. Per http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/factsheets/driveclean.pdf,
SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle): 90% cleaner than the average new model year vehicle.
PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle): Meets SULEV tailpipe emission standards, has a 15-year / 150,000 mile warranty and has zero evaporative emissions1.
AT PZEV (Advanced Technology PZEV): Meets SULEV tailpipe emission standards, has a 15-year / 150,000 mile warranty, has zero evaporative emissions and includes advanced technology components.
ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle): Zero tailpipe emissions, and 98% cleaner than the average new model year vehicle.

One can lookup smog scores for CA vehicles at Drive Clean - Smog Score. Per Drive Clean - Gasoline, PZEV vehicles have smog scores of 9.

(FWIW, I drive a ZEV '13 Leaf and an 06 AT-PZEV Prius.)

Last edited:
I was sort of scared to be ticketed for being parked in a spot ONLY marked handicapped but remembered I don't have a plate yet! I wish they would either mark the spots and/or move or add chargers somewhere out of the way and further to the entrance. I can walk further if it means I am charging! I will write them a letter in hopes of this happening, but I am not holding my breath...

That's pretty lazy of the proprietor, alright. Why go to the expense of installing chargers if you aren't going to bother labeling them for use? I'd be curious as to whether you could actually be towed for parking in a handicapped spot to charge.

Regarding their location; most times when a charger is in what may be considered a "premo spot" it is just because that location is closest to the electrical service run. Often it makes for a much cheaper install if your run is short.

That's pretty lazy of the proprietor, alright. Why go to the expense of installing chargers if you aren't going to bother labeling them for use?
At PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car!, when I was last over there, there were a bunch of Blink EVSEs but there was no signage nor marking saying they're for EVs/charging only. I didn't know if they were working yet as I was driving my ICEV and didn't my Blink card anyway.

There was also a Blink CHAdeMO DC fast charger that wasn't online yet.

This was all before Ecotality went bankrupt.