Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I finally sold one! All it took was 105mph.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Al Sherman

It's about THIS car.
Nov 29, 2012
Batesville, IN
I've been trying very hard to sell an MS to anyone. A friend was in town from ABQ who is a "fast car guy." he always has something in the garage that goes fast. Right now he has a SMS AMG GT (2013).
After breakfast one day we had about 15 miles to the golf course on a mostly flat (little traffic) and smooth county road. I asked him if he'd like to drive the 2013 COTY. He said yes, and reminded me that he likes fast cars and is a somewhat aggressive driver and just can't help himself. I told him that my "understanding" was that my P85 is relatively fast but it's never been over 85mph. I told him to "drive it like you stole it."
I grabbed his rental (Camry) and he jumped in the MS. As soon as we got on the county road he took off like a rocket.
When we got to the course he said: "I'm getting one of these." He said "just driving it makes you smile." I explained the Tesla Grin. Then I told him about the P85+with limited details. He said matter of factly: "That's the one I'm getting. And, oh by the way your car will do at least 105mph. At least that's what I saw when I finally looked down."

Not official yet, but I'm pretty sure I finally sold one!

I've never really understood the interest in top speed. Unless you're at a track, it's reckless to drive at that speed in the US except on some really deserted highways. I like sporty/powerful cars for the things you can do every day: 0-60, cornering, freeway passing, and such.

Places like the autobahn though, I'd guess we'll see those sorts of speeds regularly.

Man I can barely go a week with a 'new' car and not hit triple digits. It's like a test of some sorts.

Hell even in High School I scouted a downhill (not easy at all in Tampa) section of interstate (about 3/4 miles, barely visible to the eye). And finally after about a dozen attempts got my Dodge Neon to show 100 on the speedo. I bet we were doing about 90-95 really. My Jetta TDI got to 100 but months after I purchased it, it took about 4 miles on flat Florida Interstate to get that high from 80. My GTI got to 134 (dash said 142) when the limiter noticeably kicked in, a little before my 5->6 shift. The Model S has been triple digits a few times. The first was on an early Sunday morning about 10 days after I got it in January.

I have been 100 in numerous cars of my mom's cars (including a triple digit speeding ticket proof in her current 5 series): Volvo C70, Lincoln Navigator (I doubt it really was going that fast but the speedo got to 100), Toyota Avalon, BWM Z4, Audi A4, Audi A5, and BMW 528i. Which I think is every single one of her cars since I turned 16. I have been 100 in my dad's VW Passat V6, Audi TT (red), Audi TT (grey), but not his Subaru Outback.

I have been 100 in at least one rental car, Dodge Charger (cruised at 100 like it was nothing). And tried with a Chevy Cobalt (got to mid 80s before I thought I was going to die).

But in all honesty I will/do cruise at around 90 A LOT! People drive FAST in Atlanta!

I took my Volt up to 100 once just to say I have driven an electric car at 100 MPH. It is speed limited at 100, so I could not go faster, but it was running like a champ at that speed. Nothing like going 0-100 without the car changing gears.

I have a question - the Tesla cruise control stalk is a daimler part (i have used the same cruise control stalk in mercedes) and in the merc there is a tiny orange/amber light on the stalk itself and with the light "on" the stalk functions as a user-configured speed limiter, without the light, it functions as a cruise control stalk.

Is it true that for the Tesla - the light on means cruise control, and the light off means it's a useless stick?

I have a question - the Tesla cruise control stalk is a daimler part (i have used the same cruise control stalk in mercedes) and in the merc there is a tiny orange/amber light on the stalk itself and with the light "on" the stalk functions as a user-configured speed limiter, without the light, it functions as a cruise control stalk.

Is it true that for the Tesla - the light on means cruise control, and the light off means it's a useless stick?

yes

Bummer. That defeats Daimler's original designed purpose of the amber light and leaves you with no user configurable speed limiter..

I mentioned the speed limit function to my sales guy during my test drive (I drove a Mercedes in the UK with that function). He seemed to think it was a reasonable enhancement that could be done via software. So, perhaps it's coming. With the quick and seemless acceleration it sure would be nice to have. It's way too easy to go too fast.....

Yea, it made it up to 100 without engaging the ICE, no problem. While GM insists that the Volt's performance is identical is ICE mode and EV mode, in reality, it actually performs much better in EV mode. It felt like it still had some go left in it, and if it did not have a software speed limit, probably could have gone faster.
Two thumbs up. :)

I mentioned the speed limit function to my sales guy during my test drive (I drove a Mercedes in the UK with that function). He seemed to think it was a reasonable enhancement that could be done via software. So, perhaps it's coming. With the quick and seemless acceleration it sure would be nice to have. It's way too easy to go too fast.....

The valet mode (or teen driver mode) is where this might live.

- - - Updated - - -

Al Sherman;362002... He said "just driving it makes you smile." I explained the Tesla Grin....[/QUOTE said:
How do you "explain" the Tesla Grin?

"That's the one I'm getting. And, oh by the way your car will do at least 105mph. At least that's what I saw when I finally looked down."

Not official yet, but I'm pretty sure I finally sold one!

My 60kWh does at least 110mph...ahem, so I've been told :redface:

Good job selling one, I'm working on a colleague who told me the other day "I'm going to ask my wife if we can get one". Glad To be the wife in my household!

Yea, it made it up to 100 without engaging the ICE, no problem. While GM insists that the Volt's performance is identical is ICE mode and EV mode, in reality, it actually performs much better in EV mode. It felt like it still had some go left in it, and if it did not have a software speed limit, probably could have gone faster.
The Volt feels better in EV mode because you don't get all of the thrashing and flailing about from the gas engine during hard acceleration. However, tests show the actual acceleration is identical between EV vs. hybrid mode in the Volt until you get up to around 60 mph and then the Volt gets a bit of extra power running in hybrid mode with the gas engine.

You can see the performance tables comparing the 0-90 mph performance of the Prius, LEAF and Volt (EV mode). A second table compares 0-100 mph for the Volt in EV (CD) vs. hybrid (CS) mode in tests done for separate articles in Motor Trend a couple of years ago.

Link:
Volt 0-100 mph tables at PriusChat.