Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-Pace vs P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
-I-PACE interior is crampy, and trunk space is small for the price.
-I-PACE is extremely inefficient for the 90kWh battery it uses, watch bjorn nyland's drive tests.
-P3D has longer range for the same price.
-P3D is faster and more powerful in every way possible for the same price.
-P3D handles much better than I-PACE, and is lighter. If you track at all, I-PACE isn't an option.
-I-PACE uses outdated interface like it was built in the early 2000's, and the interface lags like you have iphone battery performance throttling turned on. We're almost in to 2019 this is unacceptable.
-Tesla tech is years ahead of Jaguar when it comes to autopilot/lane assist. Bjorn Nyland's video shows I-PACE autopilot gets disengaged randomly without warning, and your car goes on a free roll where you are free to crash or run off the road if you don't take control. Tesla warns you when autopilot disengages, and your car will slowly come to a stop and turn on emergency lights for you if you do not take control.
-Superior Tesla tech such as over the air updates and smooth touch screen functions are unmatched.
-Model 3 is the safest car out there, with 5 star crash ratings in all categories. I-PACE is a question mark until it gets tested.
-Supercharger network, don't think this doesn't matter because it does. Uneducated general public still thinks you can't travel with an electric vehicle. Their jaws usually drop when I show them Tesla's supercharger network and destination chargers. Many Americans are not buying EV's because they are fed bad information and they think all EV's are short range local commuter vehicles.

I-PACE definitely is a bit more blingy and it has the flash. It has nice finish with instrument clutter for those that yearn it. It drives well for its size. But when it comes down to what really matters, the powertrain, range, safety, tech, and just sheer raw power, P3D is just better for the same price or cheaper. No contest.

ps. air suspension is coming for Model 3 as an option in 2019.
pps. you can buy a P3D now, the earliest estimate for when I-PACE will start showing up in the U.S. is Feb 2019.

Last edited:
OP,
These comparisons are vague because you have not specified an i-Pace configuration.
I'd be interested to see how Tesla stacks up to the specific configuration you are considering.

While I would like everybody to own a Tesla, that is not realistic. So long as you buy an EV (and particularly if you fuel it with clean energy), I applaud your choice.

Keep in mind Tesla is very conservative on range.

You also need to factor in the real range.

Like 20% to 90% charging width. Now you just lost 30%. Now factor in cold weather performance and you might lose another 20% (may not apply to you).

Now your down to a 167 miles range. And I bet they don’t rate it as conservatively as Tesla.

They have no track record on battery longevity either. That’s a huge deal.

Folks keep saying that these companies will catch up quick. They won’t catchup quick on battery technology.

The i-pace is their version of the original roadster. It’s easier to catch up on body panel alignment than batteries that just keep on going.

Please, please, don’t bring the supercharging network to this. I’m driving in the car every day, yet I’m charging on a public charger maybe once per year. And I’m not an exception... :)

By the way, try to charge your M3 on a free fast charger provided by my company ;)
Why not? It’s one of the main perks of Tesla vs other EVs. I don’t supercharge more than a few times per year, but it’s sure nice to know I have that option. This especially applies to those who don it have an an ICE as backup

Reactions: richyrich
Aesthetics are subjective, but I've never been a fan of the i-Pace chunky wagon exterior. I think if you want to pay more for an EV with less performance, range, and travelability then more power to you. There is no vehicle out there that is designed for everyone, and you should purchase whatever vehicle floats your boat.

Certainly there is something to be said for rarity, and Jag certainly won't be building many of them.

Reactions: cfttester and EinSV
Is that important to you ?
It isn't. He's no intention of buying the I-Pace, or the Model 3. Says so right in his first post. At best he's assuming we all are/should be working at Cisco in the Bay Area.....but only for short spurts of time that doesn't fit with the 30mi/hr charging available on their huge number of J-1772, and that you'd want to hook up on their limited number of L3s ....and then go back out to rotate your car out of it when it's done, I guess? Or go home because you work 2 hr days?

Just as likely he's a full-of-fabricated-crap troll that's leveraging a factiod (Cisco has, AFAIK, largest connection of L3 stations onsite in SV area, some sort of deal with Nissan).

Last edited:
If you think you would like the I-Pace, go ahead and get it.

The major limitation you will run into is the same one we have with our Chevy Bolt: it is good for regional driving (up to about 100 miles from home) but it really isn't a very practical car for trips of any length: there are too few chargers, the chargers are poorly placed for distance driving, and the chargers aren't real fast.

If you can live with that, you will very likely love your I-Pace, just like we love our Bolt.

(The electric car driving experience is so much better than the ICE driving experience, it is hard not to love driving one.)

Great post. Thanks!

Oh and this: Tesla Model 3 achieves lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested by NHTSA

“NHTSA tested Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive as part of its New Car Assessment Program, a series of crash tests used to calculate the likelihood of serious bodily injury for front, side and rollover crashes. The agency’s data shows that vehicle occupants are less likely to get seriously hurt in these types of crashes when in a Model 3 than in any other car. NHTSA’s previous tests of Model S and Model X still hold the record for the second and third lowest probabilities of injury, making Tesla vehicles the best ever rated by NHTSA. We expect similar results for other Model 3 variants, including our dual-motor vehicles, when they are rated.”

Any questions?

I like the lines of the Jaguar I Pace , and The Mercedes EQC but they are Definitely more like compact SUV. The interior’s are coach built quality ,which is very nice, and more luxurious then Tesla’s Model X.

BUT... TESLA is superior in Technology, Efficiency, simplicity , and options to travel
Long distance plus My Model 3P has lifetime free supercharging , which is huge for some of us road warriors !

If you think you would like the I-Pace, go ahead and get it.

The major limitation you will run into is the same one we have with our Chevy Bolt: it is good for regional driving (up to about 100 miles from home) but it really isn't a very practical car for trips of any length: there are too few chargers, the chargers are poorly placed for distance driving, and the chargers aren't real fast.

If you can live with that, you will very likely love your I-Pace, just like we love our Bolt.

(The electric car driving experience is so much better than the ICE driving experience, it is hard not to love driving one.)
I don't understand the reason for the long range driving. This is correct.
Now, speaking about Bolt - it has a similar to Tesla cars problem - great drive train with so-so car body on top. On a plus side for Tesla - their cars looks better than Bolt, no doubt

The dealership will not know much about ev’s.
Was not a problem for Nissan Leaf when I bought it in 2011. Why do you assume the people, who are working in the dealerships are ignorant? They may be dishonest, but rarely ignorant.
There is little vertival integration.
Great! I'm not sure it's a plus at all.
Can’t upgrade things.
False. I-Pace has over-the-air upgrade capability for the infotainment system. For the breaks, etc - I'd rather visit a service center.
Slower, not American made.
Tesla is not exactly US made either. Rumors are it's near 50/50
Not a Tesla....
Great! It would be easy to find it on the parking lot or your own neighborhood :)

• Disagree
Reactions: pkodali and cdub
Oh and this: Tesla Model 3 achieves lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested by NHTSA

“NHTSA tested Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive as part of its New Car Assessment Program, a series of crash tests used to calculate the likelihood of serious bodily injury for front, side and rollover crashes. The agency’s data shows that vehicle occupants are less likely to get seriously hurt in these types of crashes when in a Model 3 than in any other car. NHTSA’s previous tests of Model S and Model X still hold the record for the second and third lowest probabilities of injury, making Tesla vehicles the best ever rated by NHTSA. We expect similar results for other Model 3 variants, including our dual-motor vehicles, when they are rated.”

Any questions?
Sure. When will it be reflected in the insurance rates?

Reactions: Ulmo