Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need charging to stop at 3AM - using Gen 2 Mobile Connector on 110V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am troubleshooting an odd problem. I charge my Tesla Model Y Performance in my condo communal garage on a 110V 12A non-metered outlet they installed at my space. I don't usually drive more than 50 miles a day and keep the car plugged in whenever parked. Things worked flawlessly for a couple of months but now I am getting a push notification that my charging has been interrupted at about 4:15 AM at least 3 times a week and the percent charge always shows 89%. I go down to the garage and my outlet is dead and the adjacent flourescent fixtures near my space are out too. So obviously I am not on a dedicated circuit. I have needed to call maintenance who check the breakers and they tell me that they needed to reset a breaker. It never trips at other times of the day which has me scratching my head. Is my car pulling more current as it nears full charge? Is there some device in my garage that turns on in the early morning and overloads my circuit? It it were faulty wiring, you'd think the time of the tripping would be more random, no? I even tried reducing the charging amperage to 9 Amps and no improvement.

So I have two questions for the group if you please.....
1) To troubleshoot, I'd like to set charging to absolutely positively stop charging at 3AM for a week to see if the problem disappears. I see how to schedule a charge "on" time but not an "off" time. Can this be done reliably with the tesla app?
2) Does anyone have any theories on what is going on with the circuit tripping at 4AM and other ways to troubleshoot? They tell me that some lights are on timers. Maybe the flourescents are turning on at that time and draw a big load. I think I need to camp out :)

Thanks in advance,

BocaGuy

You may be able to cause charging to stop at 3:00 A.M. if you use Scheduled Charging and also set up a peak and off-peak rate, time for charging. This would take some experimenting but you could set a peak rate period between 3:00 A.M. and 4:00 A.M. to avoid charging during this time.

A third party app could also be used to set custom charging times.

It is likely that some other equipment is wired into the same circuit. Perhaps a pond or spa water circulation pump or a sprinkler system.

When you charge at 12A on a 15A circuit you are right at the 80% limit for EV charging on that circuit. It would not take many more watts to push the load over 15A and trip the breaker. The Tesla Mobile Connector would draw 12A, leaving 3A (360W.) A T8 fluorescent bulb draws 32W, a bank of a dozen of these lights could easily draw over 360W. You could reduce the charging amperage to 8A and see if that solves the issue (although you would lose 25% of your effective charging speed.)

Last edited:
I am troubleshooting an odd problem. I charge my Tesla Model Y Performance in my condo communal garage on a 110V 12A non-metered outlet they installed at my space. I don't usually drive more than 50 miles a day and keep the car plugged in whenever parked. Things worked flawlessly for a couple of months but now I am getting a push notification that my charging has been interrupted at about 4:15 AM at least 3 times a week and the percent charge always shows 89%. I go down to the garage and my outlet is dead and the adjacent flourescent fixtures near my space are out too. So obviously I am not on a dedicated circuit. I have needed to call maintenance who check the breakers and they tell me that they needed to reset a breaker. It never trips at other times of the day which has me scratching my head. Is my car pulling more current as it nears full charge? Is there some device in my garage that turns on in the early morning and overloads my circuit? It it were faulty wiring, you'd think the time of the tripping would be more random, no? I even tried reducing the charging amperage to 9 Amps and no improvement.

So I have two questions for the group if you please.....
1) To troubleshoot, I'd like to set charging to absolutely positively stop charging at 3AM for a week to see if the problem disappears. I see how to schedule a charge "on" time but not an "off" time. Can this be done reliably with the tesla app?
2) Does anyone have any theories on what is going on with the circuit tripping at 4AM and other ways to troubleshoot? They tell me that some lights are on timers. Maybe the flourescents are turning on at that time and draw a big load. I think I need to camp out :)

Thanks in advance,

BocaGuy

I'd try lowering the amperage first. Maybe try 8amps and slowly work your way up every night until it starts tripping again to see what your maximum is. I wonder if a neighbor leaves for work around 4am and the garage door opener is enough to flip the breaker?

Reactions: jcanoe
You charging to 100%? You indicate the charging is interrupted at 89%. Since you usually don't drive more than 50 miles/day, why not set your charge limit to say 80%. Would be plenty of range for your 50 miles/day, and be under the 89% number that seems to be a problem area.
By setting charge limit to a lower number, charging would be done earlier and maybe resolve tripping breakers at 4:15am whatever is happening at that time.

I'm charging to 90%. As far as putting a specific time to start charging and a specific time to stop charging, it would be great if the Tesla app or even the paid Tessie app would add this. I tried the scheduling app but it didn't stop charging at 3am as set. Also, even if it worked you can't do both a scheduled Start time and a peak rate time.

I tried an Android app "Clicker" macro utility which can record touchscreen clicks and reproduce them at specific times. The problem is that the START and STOP charging switch in the Tesla app is a toggle and not 2 discrete switches. Any ideas to accomplish START and STOP charging routines?

Success. I bought two Android apps for about $7 total. Tasker and Bolt. Bolt is the new name for the Tesla Plug-in for Tasker. It was so easy for a novice to make a Start and Stop Charging timer macro. Mine turns charging off at 3am and on at 6am. I had tried Automate and MacroDroid and they are great free apps but we're confusing for me and would have required many more steps.