Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hope this means a functioning sunroof will return to the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another explanation occurred to me as to why they did it. I'm sure Tesla is able to track the usage of every feature in its cars. This approach has become common practice in the software industry. You then use this data to decide on which features to keep and improve on and which to drop. Perfectly rational. I'm sure that the data shows very low usage for sunroof equipped cars (even those of us who like having one probably dont use it that often). They looked at that and thought "aha! Our customers only open their sunroofs <1% of the time. We can save money and install a glass panel instead!". They seem to have forgotten that cars (especially expensive ones) are emotional purchases. We buy things we don't "need" all the time. I mean look at the US pickup market-- I bet pickup buyers average a similarly low usage rates for their beds. Even the very premise of the Model S (A long range EV), falls into that same category. Most of the time you dont need the extra range.

We bought a P100D with Ludicrous. We might do a full-fledged zero to 70+ Ludicrous Launch once every 2 weeks... So perhaps that is about 20-25 times a year. So would they look at software logs and then decide to remove this option? We've yet to use Bio Weapons Defense Mode (BWDM) in the car. Are we glad we have it? You bet! Are we glad it was included in the Premium Package, you bet! Should that option be removed too because it's seldom used and restore extra space to the Frunk? We wouldn't want that. Let BWDM be available when we need it, and in the meantime we are happy that we paid for it.

A Tesla is an excess by any definition. The car costs a lot and it comes with Bio Weapons Defense Mode, Easter Eggs, the best acceleration in the world, along with lots of other things big and small that make these cars so wonderful to own. Some of us may not use these features all the time, but if you keep removing features that distinguish a Model S claiming it is not used enough or there are other issues -- such as the awesome sunroof -- soon enough you are going to end up with a boring car that is no longer really a Model S. For us, a Model S without a sunroof is missing something really special that makes the Model S what it is.

Here's to all the little things and the big things that make a Model S the world's finest car, including the super awesome sunroof, and I hope as Tesla improves the Model S, the sunroof becomes available once again as an option.

Even if you assume a sunroof is a must have feature for just 15-20% of premium car customers paying nearly $100K for a Model S, that's a very large segment of customers. When the sunroof was an available option, we know the majority of customers paid extra for it, so perhaps the percentage of customers who prefer an actual sunroof is much larger than 15-20%.

Last edited:
We bought a P100D with Ludicrous. We might do a full-fledged zero to 70+ Ludicrous Launch once every 2 weeks... So perhaps that is about 20-25 times a year. So would they look at software logs and then decide to remove this option? We've yet to use Bio Weapons Defense Mode (BWDM) in the car. Are we glad we have it? You bet! Are we glad it was included in the Premium Package, you bet! Should that option be removed too because it's seldom used and restore extra space to the Frunk? We wouldn't want that. Let BWDM be available when we need it, and in the meantime we are happy that we paid for it.

A Tesla is an excess by any definition. The car costs a lot and it comes with Bio Weapons Defense Mode, Easter Eggs, the best acceleration in the world, along with lots of other things big and small that make these cars so wonderful to own. Some of us may not use these features all the time, but if you keep removing features that distinguish a Model S claiming it is not used enough or there are other issues -- such as the awesome sunroof -- soon enough you are going to end up with a boring car that is no longer really a Model S. For us, a Model S without a sunroof is missing something really special that makes the Model S what it is.

Here's to all the little things and the big things that make a Model S the world's finest car, including the super awesome sunroof, and I hope as Tesla improves the Model S, the sunroof becomes available once again as an option.

Even if you assume a sunroof is a must have feature for just 15-20% of premium car customers paying nearly $100K for a Model S, that's a very large segment of customers. When the sunroof was an available option, we know the majority of customers paid extra for it, so perhaps the percentage of customers who prefer an actual sunroof is much larger than 15-20%.

Yep- that's my point. The whole car is an excess, so removing options like this is pointless and silly.

Today made me appreciate my sunroof once more. DC traffic is loud and awful but rolling up the windows offers a surprising bit of sound isolation. I was able to enjoy my music with fresh air through the sunroof and enjoy the mid 70 degree day without having to turn on the AC. At non-highway speeds, the sunroof is a great way to let fresh air in while keeping away some of the city noises.

Reactions: Trebek1762
Yep- that's my point. The whole car is an excess, so removing options like this is pointless and silly.

I wonder how many existing Model S owners decided not to upgrade to a newer Model S because of the sunroof not being available to order and how the loss of those sales compare to whatever cost savings they incurred in not offering a sunroof.

I feel the sunroof would have many takers as a $2,500 or even $3,000 option for both the Model S and the Model 3 with nearly 50% or more customers paying for it if given the chance. A Model S sunroof might also compel some higher end Model 3 orders to become more profitable Model S orders.

For us to upgrade our current Model S, we would absolutely need to be able to order a car with a sunroof. Wish they would design an even better 3rd generation panorama roof and make it available as an option to justify the much higher cost of the Model S.

• Love
Reactions: Galve2000
I wonder how many existing Model S owners decided not to upgrade to a newer Model S because of the sunroof not being available to order and how the loss of those sales compare to whatever cost savings they incurred in not offering a sunroof.

I feel the sunroof would have many takers as a $2,500 or even $3,000 option for both the Model S and the Model 3 with nearly 50% or more customers paying for it if given the chance. A Model S sunroof might also compel some higher end Model 3 orders to become more profitable Model S orders.

For us to upgrade our current Model S, we would absolutely need to be able to order a car with a sunroof. Wish they would design an even better 3rd generation panorama roof and make it available as an option to justify the much higher cost of the Model S.
See post #67.

had a conversation with a service center tech while doing a "noise locating" drive. we were talking about random tesla related stuff and i mentioned my disappointment that no current tesla includes a sunroof option. he responded saying the take rate was very low and tesla decided to scrap it.

take it as you will, that comment did not lower my disappointment. :D

Did he mean "untake" rate or something. We have 15 S's at my work. Wanna guess how many have the pano roof? 13. So you'd think the take rate isn't quite 100% but you'd be wrong because the two that that don't have it don't because the option was no longer available.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Did he mean "untake" rate or something. We have 15 S's at my work. Wanna guess how many have the pano roof? 13. So you'd think the take rate isn't quite 100% but you'd be wrong because the two that that don't have it don't because the option was no longer available.

Obviously, we all know that any assertion that the "take rate" for the sunroof being low is nonsense because when it was an option, it was probably one of the most popular options customers paid extra for. All you have to do is look up used car listings for the Model S to see how many of the used cars for sale were ordered with a sunroof.

With all the rumors about the Model S refresh, any news about the availability of a sunroof as an option? A friend of ours is looking to buy a Model S but they could not find a way for him to order a Model S with a sunroof. This must affect sales of the Model S, especially from existing customers who like having a sunroof.

We use ours often and love the open air feeling so much that I can't imagine a Model S without a functioning sunroof.

You have a point but at some point it will start affecting sales. We might be tempted to trade in our Model S for a newer one but not if it means the new car lacks a sunroof. I don;t think decontenting the Model S and removing extremely popular options such as the sunroof will ultimately be beneficial for sales.
I agree about the sunroof. It's a super big deal for us. We really enjoy the sunroof. Very disappointed when I purchased my 2017 S and it was just a big worthless piece of glass in my opinion