Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hope Tesla Lowers the Supercharging Rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought this car in part to travel more and at the same time save money. Now I would have been better off to just get an ICE with the rates going up like they have. In one month of ownership, I've put 2,600 miles on the car and roughly 50% of those miles were supercharging.

If you bought a Tesla for this reason then you made a mistake regardless of the change in supercharging prices. Any number of a dozen or so hybrids have significantly lower cost per mile to operate than any Tesla when total cost of ownership is factored.

Whenever I see you post about your electric usage I feel bad. I'm also on SDG&E, have solar (8kW) and a heat pump, and have a ~$5 a month bill. You're definitely subsidizing my use of the grid!

The Qualcomm supercharger is now $0.34/kWh. It will be interesting to see if that eliminates the congestion there (I checked this morning and it was still full). Maybe I'll be able to go over there and see if supercharging works on my car.

It’ll take quite some time before you see much of a change at Qualcomm, IMO. Lots of cars there with grandfathered unlimited supercharging, with quite a few owners working at Qualcomm most likely, so they’re going to be at it for a wholeness yet.

It could. Depend on the potential buyer's charging situation. I do most of my charging at home, so I wouldn't pay more for free SC.

I agree. I looked into adding a charger at home, but we might be moving in about a year. Grandfathered unlimited supercharging is very valuable, since the SC on my way home is not busy at all.

Not sure if grandfathered unlimited supercharging stays with the car when I sell.

I'm comparing it to a 40K CPO MS vs about 25K for a new Prius.

Ok...well a 15k price difference, at $2/gal for gas (and electricity free for the model S) means you'd need to drive 375,000 miles in the Model S before you break even on the extra 15k you paid for it.

(But again this ignores all the other differences between the cars- and also pretends the huge time wasted by supercharging 100% of the time doesn't exist)

Last edited: