Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don’t trust Tesla maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least in California...

I find Google Maps or Tesla Maps, what ever we are going to call it, uses information provided by CalTrans. Scheduled lane or road closures seem to count heavily on their maps. When weather prevented the scheduled closure or the closure was picked up early, Tesla maps will still route the miles out of my way to avoid it.

Waze relies heavily on speeds sent back from devices in autos or reports by drivers. Waze knows about driver reported accidents or unexpected closures with 10 minutes. Waze also has much better reporting on city streets not owned by CalTrans.

My daily commute is 48 miles, Ontario California to Burbank Studios. I depart at 3:30am and head for home at noon. When I join the 71 at the 60 I'm comparing Tesla Maps and Waze on which west bound route to take, Waze is sitting in the charger pad. Almost everyday Tesla Maps has it wrong routing me on I-10, to I-5. Waze routes me on the 210 which for any one who drives both knows the 210 is a shorter and better route.

I also listen to the traffic reports on the radio.

Tesla Maps of wrong 19 of 20 mornings.​
Waze is wrong 2 of 20 mornings.​
Coming home at noon, both are more likely to agree. Not routing me on 1-5 South past Griffith Park is a no brainer.

Last edited:
I meant statistically
My favorite is Waze
For long trips, I run Waze on iPhone mounded to the Magbak display mount while also checking the Tesla NAV
Why doesn’t Google merge rhe function they own with Waze into their maps?
Then we would get the result in rhe Tesla

Tesla navigation is pretty smart (and getting smarter). On the other hand, you may be smarter still.

It is up to the driver to determing the route they will wish to take on every trip. If you have additional information, your route might be better.

Tesla will give you their suggestion. It will recalculate in real time as you travel, updating their suggested route with the addition information it may gather. If you feel confident your route will be better for you, take it. You are the boss.