Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don’t trust Tesla maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was the other route you would have taken populated with enough charging stops? It plans the route taking into account the most efficient charging stops.

But it’s true that I don’t think the Tesla system does dynamic rerouting due to traffic once you select a route and start the trip. At least I’ve never seen it. Other navigation apps would say something like rerouting to save XX minutes due to traffic or something.

Often when I start to see congestion ahead I end the trip and start over and it gives me a detour
I have been rerouted several times to avoid significant traffic issues between Delaware and New Jersey. As I am familiar with my usual twice-a-month trip, I leave the navigation on silent just to keep an eye on my state of charge at the end of the journey. The first time it tried to reroute, I ignored it and paid the price of 35 minutes due to an overturned fuel truck on Route 1. I no longer ignore the suggestions.

I’ve been trying to use Tesla maps on trips, but can’t find myself able to trust it.

I do find Tesla maps ok for local driving, but for longer trips I’m finding it tough to rely on it to find the best route especially when it comes to identifying traffic and route based on superchargers. I find that I have to research the route especially for superchargers before I leave. For example, I recently travelled from Cooperstown, NY to Washington DC. Tesla maps took me on a route which led me into a lot of traffic on I-95 through Baltimore. I would have preferred not to do this but didn’t realize it before it was too late.

Am I doing things wrong? Should I be planning my route better and not have to use Google Maps?

That being said, for now, I’d like to use Google Maps in conjunction with Tesla Maps. Does anyone have a recommendation for an iPhone holder that would work well? Perhaps one that connects to the screen without damaging it?

Thanks in advance…
If you want google maps in center screen or waze or Apple Maps, etc in your s3xy…. check out open source “tesla android project” which puts CarPlay and android os in the center screen. I use it all the time. Really completes the tesla infotainment. There are some other commercial devices which put just CarPlay in the center screen too. All These center screen options tend to work best in model years 2021+ Which have better wifi antennas. There are behind the steering wheel options too For 3&Y. I have one as well, which is easier if you have yoke aftermarket steering g wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: X Fan
Waze please
I got waze & a ton more from android OS ecosystem & CarPlay. This is done via open source “tesla android project”.
IMG_0763.jpeg

How does it play with the car software? any limitations.
Trouble with the add on hardware is you have to have add on
hardware.
In the case of seeing CarPlay in tesla center screen via tesla web browser app , you don’t really add hardware in to the car. It’s wireless. Below is a blog which covers how the devices tend to work. Take a look at the other pages. Many topics apply to the commercial products which use tesla web browser too. Only limitation I can think of is since the devices use tesla web browser app to be open, you can’t do full screen FSD beta view.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
The native routing works quite well. I'm sure that if you compare it to anything else over a number of routes, it will hold it's own.

Let's not forget that the original poster complained because it didn't take a route that they liked, "too much traffic" . But no indication that their route was any faster.

Reactions: KerryOH
That being said, is there a recommended iPhone holder for the Model Y? I see some that attach with adhesive to the back of navigation display, but I'm a little hesitant to do that...
In case you didn't get an answer, in a different thread asking a similar question several people suggested the one below.

Topfit for Tesla Model 3 Y Monitor Phone Mount and Sunglasses case Fixed Clip Safety Car Cell Phone Holder Stand for Tesla Accessories

I added it to my wishlist but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I find it does not update to traffic conditions as fast as Google or Waze. It also still can't find my friends office in downtown Cumming, GA. She has to ask clients if they are driving a Tesla. The office park has two entrances and Tesla can't figure it out, still after two years.

I find it does not update to traffic conditions as fast as Google or Waze. It also still can't find my friends office in downtown Cumming, GA. She has to ask clients if they are driving a Tesla. The office park has two entrances and Tesla can't figure it out, still after two years.
Have you modified the reroute parameters?

A GPS not determining the exact spot has been an issue with many businesses for years, this is not anything different.

say what, the GPS is not confused, only the Tesla's navigation software. the office park has two entrances from two roads, Tesla is the only navigation that can't figure it out. Tesla owners are instructed to use their phone and they can get there with ease.

So how does the car navigate when it doesn't have cellular connection to the Internet to get to Google?
That's because your premise is incorrect.
lemme put it in simple terms you can understand since you clearly have no idea what your even talking about. Look on the bottom corner of your Tesla map screen(if you even have a tesla). It literally says google maps in the corner. the reason a Tesla is able to navigate without cellular service is because it uses 2 different programs which are installed onto the hard drive of the cars computer. These are the programs that provide nav/routing and they are called mapbox and Valhalla. They are for traffic data & routing which is overlayed on top of the Map images from guess where…..Google Maps.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
I live in rural New Mexico. Many of the places where I drive don't have cell coverage. Yet the car navigates just fine. FSDb works fine (as well as it does when I have coverage). The map displayed on the screen is rather spartan but the roads are there and the car can navigate them.

IIUC not all the maps of the entire world are stored in the car. If you are planning to go to an area where there might not be cell coverage then you should make sure you view that area on the map while you still have coverage so the road maps of that area are cached on your car.

• Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH
lemme put it in simple terms you can understand since you clearly have no idea what your even talking about. Look on the bottom corner of your Tesla map screen(if you even have a tesla). It literally says google maps in the corner. the reason a Tesla is able to navigate without cellular service is because it uses 2 different programs which are installed onto the hard drive of the cars computer. These are the programs that provide nav/routing and they are called mapbox and Valhalla. They are for traffic data & routing which is overlayed on top of the Map images from guess where…..Google Maps.
And I used to think that way as well. But then others uncovered reality. Google is what is displayed.

Tesla uses google maps. So you when you use teslas in car navigation you’re using Google Maps. 🤓
My brother has always insisted Tesla uses Google maps. He points to the "Google" note in the lower-right corner and considers that proof. However they are VERY different.
* Tesla maps have different information, different presentation, etc.
* Tesla maps have different data. E.g. T maps are full of errors, G maps very few. Recently there was a road change near my house, and Google figured it out and updated the routes within a month. Tesla displayed the old (wrong) data for over 6 months.
* During the change above, Tesla gave impossible directions, e.g. "turn here" at the top of a 50' tall overpass, like it expected you to jump off. It continued to invent impossible route variations until I drove out of the area. Google doesn't do that, ever.

There are other differences, but I don't see how they could be using Google data. Even the route data doesn't match Google. Mapbox/etc makes more sense.

My brother has always insisted Tesla uses Google maps. He points to the "Google" note in the lower-right corner and considers that proof. However they are VERY different.
* Tesla maps have different information, different presentation, etc.
* Tesla maps have different data. E.g. T maps are full of errors, G maps very few. Recently there was a road change near my house, and Google figured it out and updated the routes within a month. Tesla displayed the old (wrong) data for over 6 months.
* During the change above, Tesla gave impossible directions, e.g. "turn here" at the top of a 50' tall overpass, like it expected you to jump off. It continued to invent impossible route variations until I drove out of the area. Google doesn't do that, ever.

There are other differences, but I don't see how they could be using Google data. Even the route data doesn't match Google. Mapbox/etc makes more sense.
tesla uses downloaded maps perhaps they are just out of date.. google maps can update on the fly as users send back real time data regarding their routes

The location of the intersection leading to my grocery store was changed 6 months or a year ago. The Tesla map is still not up to speed so I literally cannot use FSD to drive to my local grocery store. To be fair, Google Maps also has the intersection in the wrong place.

The Tesla traffic data is often wrong which is weird.

I imagine all of this is much better in more populated areas.

Sure there is...

Just don't go near there in the first place :)

Would have been faster for me to go through Harrisburg, PA down just south of Baltimore.
I'm driving to our VA office from NYC next week and I'll try the Harrisburg route. Looks like it's a longer trip, but well worth the extra time if there is no traffic. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for the tip!