Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don’t trust Tesla maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been trying to use Tesla maps on trips, but can’t find myself able to trust it.

I do find Tesla maps ok for local driving, but for longer trips I’m finding it tough to rely on it to find the best route especially when it comes to identifying traffic and route based on superchargers. I find that I have to research the route especially for superchargers before I leave. For example, I recently travelled from Cooperstown, NY to Washington DC. Tesla maps took me on a route which led me into a lot of traffic on I-95 through Baltimore. I would have preferred not to do this but didn’t realize it before it was too late.

Am I doing things wrong? Should I be planning my route better and not have to use Google Maps?

That being said, for now, I’d like to use Google Maps in conjunction with Tesla Maps. Does anyone have a recommendation for an iPhone holder that would work well? Perhaps one that connects to the screen without damaging it?

Thanks in advance…

Was the other route you would have taken populated with enough charging stops? It plans the route taking into account the most efficient charging stops.

But it’s true that I don’t think the Tesla system does dynamic rerouting due to traffic once you select a route and start the trip. At least I’ve never seen it. Other navigation apps would say something like rerouting to save XX minutes due to traffic or something.

Often when I start to see congestion ahead I end the trip and start over and it gives me a detour

Reactions: SWIPE
Was the other route you would have taken populated with enough charging stops? It plans the route taking into account the most efficient charging stops.

But it’s true that I don’t think the Tesla system does dynamic rerouting due to traffic once you select a route and start the trip. At least I’ve never seen it. Other navigation apps would say something like rerouting to save XX minutes due to traffic or something.

Often when I start to see congestion ahead I end the trip and start over and it gives me a detour
As far as I know that for real time traffic update and possibly re-routing based on traffic ahead, you need premium connectivity.Best to check the manual and re-confirm.

The other route I would have taken and should have did have superchargers, just spaced out differently.

Does anyone like to still use Google Maps on their phone and have a phone holder recommendation?

Thanks for all of the replies...

I’ve been trying to use Tesla maps on trips, but can’t find myself able to trust it.

I do find Tesla maps ok for local driving, but for longer trips I’m finding it tough to rely on it to find the best route especially when it comes to identifying traffic and route based on superchargers. I find that I have to research the route especially for superchargers before I leave. For example, I recently travelled from Cooperstown, NY to Washington DC. Tesla maps took me on a route which led me into a lot of traffic on I-95 through Baltimore. I would have preferred not to do this but didn’t realize it before it was too late.

Am I doing things wrong? Should I be planning my route better and not have to use Google Maps?

That being said, for now, I’d like to use Google Maps in conjunction with Tesla Maps. Does anyone have a recommendation for an iPhone holder that would work well? Perhaps one that connects to the screen without damaging it?

Thanks in advance…
You don't rely on Tesla maps? That makes both of us!
I usually rely on Plugshare, as it allows me to check reviews of other Ev owners. Simply locate the supercharger on the route, check reviews to see if the charging station is working fine or reliable, and plan accordingly.
Here you can find superchargers using Plugshare: Tesla Supercharger Map | PlugShare

You don't rely on Tesla maps? That makes both of us!
I usually rely on Plugshare, as it allows me to check reviews of other Ev owners. Simply locate the supercharger on the route, check reviews to see if the charging station is working fine or reliable, and plan accordingly.
Here you can find superchargers using Plugshare: Tesla Supercharger Map | PlugShare

i wouldnt limit to superchargers.. the CCS's can be cheaper and could allow for shortcuts!

Thanks in advance…

So first, it sounds like you mean Tesla routing, not Tesla maps. If you read the thread, you see that there is a difference.

The most important thing with ANY routing program is to NEVER trust it completely.

Most EVERY routing algorithm has issues. With local as well as long distance travel. The one that I always find interesting is the number of routes that are different from Point A to Point B than they are from Point B to Point A.

When you add variable stops (like charging) into the equation, there is no "right" answer. There's an ongoing debate as to if it is faster to travel with 10-40% charge than something like 10-80% charge. That makes a big difference in the number of stops needed.

Tesla navigation tends to be conservative. It will try to always arrive at a charger with at least 10% charge and will then attempt (not quite sure of this) the furthest charger within range at about 80% charge level when leaving. And it now seems as if there is a priority given to V3 chargers vs V2 chargers. It gets confusing.

The routing now often gives you alternative routes when starting your navigation and it also allows waypoints.

Overall, the car's navigation is completely reliable. It will effective always get you to your destination.

And that's quite a different statement than yours. I believe that yours is more in the line that the car doesn't give you your definition of the most optimal route.

For instance, you mentioned that the car took you down I-95, which you didn't prefer. The map has no way for you to enter "I don't prefer this route". For all we know, that was indeed the fastest route, even with traffic. I've travelled in that area some and I know that the lesser traffic route is a lot longer. The car cannot guess your preferences.

My recommendation for travelling is to always first ask the car to route you to your destination. The car will then let you know if it is possible and give you a possible route.
Then, turn on the Superchargers along the route, see what your options are.
Look at the breaks that you need to take, bathroom and meals and align those with the available Superchargers. Look at the superchargers and make sure that they have the facilities that you want. A sit-down meal? Coffee? Select that Supercharger that fits YOUR needs.
Add that Supercharger as a stop. The car will then reroute and do the same for the remainder of the route.

And then of course as you get underway, stop and smell the roses. Take unexpected stops, enjoy the countryside. Take the side roads periodically. This will probably mess up your route, but you should now know what your options are and feel comfortable with the detour.

Is the Tesla guidance perfect? No
But I think that it is one of the best solutions out there.

So first, it sounds like you mean Tesla routing, not Tesla maps. If you read the thread, you see that there is a difference.

The most important thing with ANY routing program is to NEVER trust it completely.

Most EVERY routing algorithm has issues. With local as well as long distance travel. The one that I always find interesting is the number of routes that are different from Point A to Point B than they are from Point B to Point A.

When you add variable stops (like charging) into the equation, there is no "right" answer. There's an ongoing debate as to if it is faster to travel with 10-40% charge than something like 10-80% charge. That makes a big difference in the number of stops needed.

Tesla navigation tends to be conservative. It will try to always arrive at a charger with at least 10% charge and will then attempt (not quite sure of this) the furthest charger within range at about 80% charge level when leaving. And it now seems as if there is a priority given to V3 chargers vs V2 chargers. It gets confusing.

The routing now often gives you alternative routes when starting your navigation and it also allows waypoints.

Overall, the car's navigation is completely reliable. It will effective always get you to your destination.

And that's quite a different statement than yours. I believe that yours is more in the line that the car doesn't give you your definition of the most optimal route.

For instance, you mentioned that the car took you down I-95, which you didn't prefer. The map has no way for you to enter "I don't prefer this route". For all we know, that was indeed the fastest route, even with traffic. I've travelled in that area some and I know that the lesser traffic route is a lot longer. The car cannot guess your preferences.

My recommendation for travelling is to always first ask the car to route you to your destination. The car will then let you know if it is possible and give you a possible route.
Look at the breaks that you need to take, bathroom and meals and align those with the available Superchargers. Look at the superchargers and make sure that they have the facilities that you want. A sit-down meal? Coffee? Select that Supercharger that fits YOUR needs.
Add that Supercharger as a stop. The car will then reroute and do the same for the remainder of the route.

And then of course as you get underway, stop and smell the roses. Take unexpected stops, enjoy the countryside. Take the side roads periodically. This will probably mess up your route, but you should now know what your options are and feel comfortable with the detour.

I appreciate your detailed reply.

I understand that Tesla navigation will get me to where I want to go, but I still have to say that I am not confident that it will do it well. I should have paid attention when it routed me through I-95 rush hour near Philly and Baltimore. That's on me. But, with Google Maps, my confidence is much higher. It shows traffic and alternate routes. I don't think Tesla navigation has alternate routes?

Because Google Maps doesn't do Superchargers, I think it's then my responsibility to research the route and know where the Superchargers are and then use Google Maps to plan it out.

I still plan to use Tesla Navigation for shorter, daily driving...

That being said, is there a recommended iPhone holder for the Model Y? I see some that attach with adhesive to the back of navigation display, but I'm a little hesitant to do that...

Thanks in advance...

I understand that Tesla navigation will get me to where I want to go, but I still have to say that I am not confident that it will do it well. I should have paid attention when it routed me through I-95 rush hour near Philly and Baltimore. That's on me. But, with Google Maps, my confidence is much higher. It shows traffic and alternate routes. I don't think Tesla navigation has alternate routes?

Because Google Maps doesn't do Superchargers, I think it's then my responsibility to research the route and know where the Superchargers are and then use Google Maps to plan it out.

I still plan to use Tesla Navigation for shorter, daily driving...

That being said, is there a recommended iPhone holder for the Model Y? I see some that attach with adhesive to the back of navigation display, but I'm a little hesitant to do that...

Thanks in advance...
There is no such thing as a faster route when navigating I95 thru Philly or Baltimore during rush hour 🤣

Yes, shows alternate routes on longer routes. I've been on some longer trips the last few days and they indeed show up. The alternate lines tend to be hard to see, but the text boxes are easier.

And I've seen Google maps do worse than the car nav.
The thing to do is to try both systems at the same time, I'd guess that you'd be surprised at how similar they are. If you do it at different times, time of day traffic, and current conditions will make a significant difference.

And if you didn't look at the link that I added, you should.

Thanks in advance…
Tesla uses google maps. So you when you use teslas in car navigation you’re using Google Maps. 🤓

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and Ciaopec
I run Waze in parallel with Tesla Nav on my phone.
Yesterday it warned me of a Speed Trap and debris
on the Road . Which was a empty 5 gallon container
sitting in the middle of the Road . No such warnings
from Tesla Nav. This gave me time to avoid it rather
than react or not react and have car damage.
This was on highway 152 in California.

Reactions: Thp3 and SWIPE

I always pre-plan my long distance trips and take an excel based trip planning printed document with me.

It's good to know alternatives particularly with avoiding high use units. FWIW: Tesla has improved but I still find that it is typically too conservative on its charging algorithm but yet can be too aggressive and leave you short too. To mitigate that, I've compiled a database through my use of Teslafi since program inception.

Over the last 7 years, I have catalogued travel time/range impact from point to points up and down the East Coast and to Ohio through WV under varying warm/cold/wet/windy conditions. I know the high and low range impact depending on speed and those variable conditions for both Model X's and Model Y's. Great product and carries with it a superb historical queryable database. Highly recommend.