Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

I bit the bullet and bought a .... Volt.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i own a Model S and I love, I mean LOVE the car but for our second vehicle to replace our "ice" car I went for the Volt, despite having put down the deposit on the Model III.
Why?
1) After seeing how poor Tesla is about getting things done in the time frame they state I have really huge doubts about being able to get the Model III in a reasonable time frame, say within two years in this Country. Realistically given "Tesla time" it will probably be 4 years or more. I have watched the Supercharger buildout, or I should say, the glacial pace of the buildout in frustration. I don't want to keep our "ice" for another 3 or 4 years.
2) By the time the Model III is available to me the Ontario incentive program will likely be gone, either because the limit will have been reached or the current government will have been replaced and the program canceled.
3) The Volt is a pretty decent car at a price probably a lot less than the Model III once the same extras that I ordered on the Volt are priced in.
4) with about 80 km electric range I anticipate that we will use it almost exclusively in pure electric mode. So for all intents and purposes it is essentially replacing an "ice" with an ev. Longer trips will be Model S trips as they are now.

<snip>
Will be very terested to hear how a model s driver compares real world experiences with the Bolt. Keep us posted please.
Please note that he stated the V-olt and not the B-olt.

I have a Model X and two V-olts in our household. 2011 Gen 1 Volt and a 2016 Gen 2 Volt. Both have been excellent.

My Model X is going in for services (yet again) tomorrow. Argh. I need to visit my son this weekend to help with house issues.
Hopefully my X is back in time otherwise I'm taking one of the V-olts ... which have been incredibly reliable with high quality builds.

P.S. Even with various X problems, I still love driving it and especially auto-pilot/steer.

i own a Model S and I love, I mean LOVE the car but for our second vehicle to replace our "ice" car I went for the Volt, despite having put down the deposit on the Model III.
Why?
1) After seeing how poor Tesla is about getting things done in the time frame they state I have really huge doubts about being able to get the Model III in a reasonable time frame, say within two years in this Country. Realistically given "Tesla time" it will probably be 4 years or more. I have watched the Supercharger buildout, or I should say, the glacial pace of the buildout in frustration. I don't want to keep our "ice" for another 3 or 4 years.
2) By the time the Model III is available to me the Ontario incentive program will likely be gone, either because the limit will have been reached or the current government will have been replaced and the program canceled.
3) The Volt is a pretty decent car at a price probably a lot less than the Model III once the same extras that I ordered on the Volt are priced in.
4) with about 80 km electric range I anticipate that we will use it almost exclusively in pure electric mode. So for all intents and purposes it is essentially replacing an "ice" with an ev. Longer trips will be Model S trips as they are now.
Just curious why you didn't wait another month or two to have the Bolt as an option?

Reactions: Jaff
Why?

Who you trying to convince? Us or yourself? ;)

Congrats on going fully electric (or at least planning on not using gas in that Volt). It's all good and all those people behind you in the Model 3 line just moved up a spot. I'm sure they thank you for that. Win-win.

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck
Keep one thing in mind about the volt, if it is below 35F it runs the engine regardless of state of charge.

1. There's a setting for this. You can change it from 35F down to 15F. That's what I do.

2. In 2013-and-later models, when the engine does turn on due to cold temps, it runs at low rpm until it has warmed up the engine coolant sufficiently to provide heat for the cabin. Then it cycles off and on as needed to maintain heat.
The only point here is that most of the propulsion power is still coming from the battery.

1. There's a setting for this. You can change it from 35F down to 15F. That's what I do.

2. In 2013-and-later models, when the engine does turn on due to cold temps, it runs at low rpm until it has warmed up the engine coolant sufficiently to provide heat for the cabin. Then it cycles off and on as needed to maintain heat.
The only point here is that most of the propulsion power is still coming from the battery.
Thanks for the tip. Will define do that.

Who you trying to convince? Us or yourself? ;)

A little of A and a little of B.
My frustration with Tesla is their totally unreliable projections of their timelines. One just cannot reasonably plan around them.

[/QUOTE] Congrats on going fully electric (or at least planning on not using gas in that Volt). It's all good and all those people behind you in the Model 3 line just moved up a spot. I'm sure they thank you for that. Win-win.[/QUOTE]

Glad to help. But I put my money down the morning following the announcement so probably won't help many.

My frustration with Tesla is their totally unreliable projections of their timelines. One just cannot reasonably plan around them.

I find the Tesla timelines very reliable; as in it doesn't happen on the day they say/hope it will. ;) I'm in the queue for a Model 3 and my current vehicle may not last, this I know. I'm prepared to buy a beater or lease something should my current vehicle not make it to Model 3 day - that's how I'm dealing with it, therefore no frustration.

• Funny
Reactions: Owner
Why?

Keep your reservation in, and Sell the model 3 when it finally gets to you...Or by that time you might be soo excited that you might sell your volt instead ...

But wtv you do don't cancel your reservation...and when you get to confirm your purchase of the model 3, go with it...You will have no problem selling it to Tesla back or to anyone else on your own to make a small profit...even without the incentive...

I'm in Ontario too, and I can assure you it will not take 4 years before the car gets here...I'm not sure when you reserved but for me I'm getting in sometimes in 2018 (reserved on the first day) and everything seems to be pointing that they are on schedule to meet this delivery...The 2nd Reveal is happening in April, they will be releasing more details and options, soon after that confirmation will go through and production in august 2017 in the west...So Until Tesla confirms a delay in production i wouldn't worry about it too much...

Early 2016 could mean 4.5 months from now...

When was the Volt introduced this year? We didn't see Volts, in MN, until late March...and that was only a handful.

The 2017 was actually a 2016.5 by the normal auto calendar. The ACC, Android Auto, and other electronic countermeasures were not finished when the 2016 was released, which was a short run.

The 2017 when loaded is pretty slick. The AEB is pretty trick and well engineered. It is solidly quicker and more responsive than all but the BMW i3, but it doesn't cost as much. And the difference between the two in acceleration isn't a lot. The Volt hits 30mph first, the i3 hits 60mph first, and the Volt hits 100 first.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP

Mine was 2014, never found that setting and was told by the dealer that it could not be changed. Wish I still had it to look.

For me it was a killer, since most of my drive is in stop and go traffic (17 miles can take an hour) and the idleing engine meant I was putting gas in every other week which was very very annoying.

The 2017 was actually a 2016.5 by the normal auto calendar. The ACC, Android Auto, and other electronic countermeasures were not finished when the 2016 was released, which was a short run.

The 2017 when loaded is pretty slick. The AEB is pretty trick and well engineered. It is solidly quicker and more responsive than all but the BMW i3, but it doesn't cost as much. And the difference between the two in acceleration isn't a lot. The Volt hits 30mph first, the i3 hits 60mph first, and the Volt hits 100 first.

Just wasted 4:27of my life!

Reactions: Blackout