Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am posting this in every youtube Tesla topic I come across: Range loss, charge gate etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no trust in Tesla anymore. But for those of you who think that by creating YouTube videos or trying to get this out to reporters that anyone will care -- are most likely wrong.

Remember when Tesla said the P85Ds are 692hp and they turned out to be 550hp?
Remember when Tesla said that the P85Ds are 0-60 in 3.1 seconds?
Remember when Tesla said that AP1 would take you "on ramp to off ramp"?
Remember when Tesla said that AP1 summon would meet me at the door on private property?
Remember when Tesla said that there will be FSD capabilities in 3 months maybe 6 at most?
etc. etc. etc.

There was a lot of internet annoyance, a few blogs picked it up, but nothing really happened (besides maybe a lawsuit in some country about the P85D performance...).

I expect the same thing to happen again here. And again and again and again and... again.

No mainstream news media will pick this up. [While I don't agree with it, to the outside] it sounds like a bunch of cry babies complaining about their $100k+ toys. That's not what generates clicks/revenue/etc.

And yes, I think this is a HUGE deal what they did.

Last edited:
I have no trust in Tesla anymore. But for those of you who think that by creating YouTube videos or trying to get this out to reporters that anyone will care -- are most likely wrong.

Remember when Tesla said the P85Ds are 692hp and they turned out to be 550hp?
Remember when Tesla said that the P85Ds are 0-60 in 3.1 seconds?
Remember when Tesla said that AP1 would take you "on ramp to off ramp"?
Remember when Tesla said that AP1 summon would meet me at the door on private property?
Remember when Tesla said that there will be FSD capabilities in 3 months maybe 6 at most?
etc. etc. etc.

There was a lot of internet annoyance, a few blogs picked it up, but nothing really happened (besides maybe a lawsuit in some country about the P85D performance...).

I expect the same thing to happen again here. And again and again and again and... again.

No mainstream news media will pick this up. [While I don't agree with it, to the outside] it sounds like a bunch of cry babies complaining about their $100k+ toys. That's not what generates clicks/revenue/etc.

And yes, I think this is a HUGE deal what they did.
The difference here is they are potentially doing it to cover up a safety issue with their fleet.

Government agencies do not take kindly to that sort of behavior and they are currently being investigated in the US.

Expect a very big hammer to be dropped if that is found to be the case.

Reactions: GeoX750
The media will definitely pick up that much. Recalls always make news, and when it's an electric car maker actively trying to hide fire hazard recalls to keep dangers on the road indefinitely.... plenty of news. That's probably why we're in this predicament. Tesla has been risk averse to the point they may have increased the risk a thousandfold trying to hide a necessary recall.

Let's hope they are negotiating the kid gloves Mercedes managed to get out of their Audit punishment, rather than being crushed under a big hammer.

Moderator note: Moved 20+ posts off to Snippiness. Some posts are actual insults and name-calling, others are just collatoral damage responding to the actually snippy posts.

The amount of vitriol in this (and the main batterygate thread, but that's another story) is unacceptable. It's fine to disagree, but insulting and name-calling is against forum rules. Consider this fair warning that continued unacceptable behavior will lead to a ban.

Hint: If you're calling someone else a troll, apologist, whiner, ambulance chaser, undercover Tesla employee or shareholder, you probably shouldn't be.

Bruce.

Stop feeding those who want to derail this topic. Clearly nothing they say should matter to anyone here. What matters is what Tesla promised, what Tesla sold, and what Tesla has purposely taken away. Everything else is a distraction designed to derail the topic into endless doldrums of nonsense.

My suggestion is to hit Ignore on those people who are so blinded by their adulation of Tesla that they have abandoned all common sense. Let their useless, baseless, idiotic posts meet silence. There's nothing like seeing a crazy person tilt at a windmill.

Click on the member's name, then click on Ignore. Great feature.

Total failure seems to be the only way they honor warranty. If the car moves, it's not under warranty - there have been owners posting their experiences with cars getting less than 100 miles of range having warranty denied until they finally failed completely, it's out of hand.

How are you getting them to replace your battery? They refuse to warranty mine.

Are they giving you a replacement 85 or a 90?

it wouldn't charge to 100pct after repeated attempts and complaints so they finally just did it. Asked for a 90kwh and they said no. Picked it up with a 90kwh so now it's a p90D. This time around I hope they replace it with a 90kwh again.

When I asked them to look at the pack due to a sudden 14mile drop and said it was charging to 256 and now just 242 they said consider myself lucky as some of their loaners barely get 200........

Again though the massive increase to supercharging time is the bigger deal to me. The range drop might have meant another 5 minutes at a supercharger, the kw capping looks like it will mean 30minutes.

it wouldn't charge to 100pct after repeated attempts and complaints so they finally just did it. Asked for a 90kwh and they said no. Picked it up with a 90kwh so now it's a p90D. This time around I hope they replace it with a 90kwh again.

Good to know. I think the 85 packs are done with given the recent voltage/supercharge capping.

The 90 packs seem to be unaffected from what I hear.

you're the one on the personal crusade here, how about adding some context to persuade people other than "hey, watch my video on youtube so I can get more views"
you mean like the very first thing I wrote...that type of thing. Also it's not my video so no gain in views for me...reading skills for the win sir!

Here it is again for you:

To get Tesla to notice and do something about the issue of Range Loss, Charge rate loss and Regen loss after recent update I am now posting short comment in each Youtube Tesla topic I see
"Updates for many many Model S owners has capped over 10% of range and 50% of charging rate"

There effectively WAS A RECALL. Tesla was able to do it remotely. It's a different world from when cars had to visit a dealer for recalls.

Uhhh...I don’t think you understand how recalls work.

Fixing a safety issue, through software, by robbing owners of performance and range is not a solution. And the NHTSA would not be pleased.

Hi Sweg!

I have looked at the thread regarding the App for ScanMyTesla, but am not clear on the best hardware and software piece for an iPhone analysis of my "gated," at least ,battery. Ihave a 2014 S85. Is there a prewired hardware piece for this? The warning about damage to the Tesla does concern me, as Tesla has to get out of this whole issue and if they can reason that scanning the battery damaged it... I realize they can say anything, but trying to limit potential problems.

Thank you very much

FURY

ScanMyTesla only currently runs on an android device. Being an iPhone user, I purchased a Samsung J7 refurbished prepaid phone from Walmart for $40. It is not necessary to activate the phone.

You also need to buy an obd2 tester ( I use an OBDlink MX+ but many users use the OBDLink LX) plus an adapter cable to connect the tester to the car. The adapter cable costs approximately $20 to $40 depending on the car model and year, while the OBDLink LX is about $50 at Amazon.

I bought the MX+ as it is compatible with the iPhone, in the event the author of ScanMyTesla ever releases an iPhone version.

When I asked them to look at the pack due to a sudden 14mile drop and said it was charging to 256 and now just 242 they said consider myself lucky as some of their loaners barely get 200........

Again though the massive increase to supercharging time is the bigger deal to me. The range drop might have meant another 5 minutes at a supercharger, the kw capping looks like it will mean 30minutes.
If they replace your battery, wouldn't your Supercharging speed go back up? Given Tesla's obstinance here, perhaps you should try and find something else wrong with your pack. I'm just thinking out loud here, but maybe #batterygate has caused something else in the car to be affected, something that Tesla would be obliged to fix with a battery swap.

There effectively WAS A RECALL. Tesla was able to do it remotely. It's a different world from when cars had to visit a dealer for recalls.
WRONG. A recall should not remove functionality that you paid for. Were your airbags disabled or removed as a result of the Takata recall? Did Tesla disable your vehicle's steering as a response to the steering bolt recall?

The cost of a Model S replacement pack is over $20,000. Tesla removed upwards of 10% or more range from owners' cars. If nothing else, that is a $2,000 value Tesla has just remotely beamed out of your car, without your knowledge and permission. If you're okay with that, you are far wealthier and more understanding than I.

Uhhh...I don’t think you understand how recalls work.

Fixing a safety issue, through software, by robbing owners of performance and range is not a solution. And the NHTSA would not be pleased.

I'm sorry, but that's how some recalls work.
If they replace your battery, wouldn't your Supercharging speed go back up? Given Tesla's obstinance here, perhaps you should try and find something else wrong with your pack. I'm just thinking out loud here, but maybe #batterygate has caused something else in the car to be affected, something that Tesla would be obliged to fix with a battery swap.

WRONG. A recall should not remove functionality that you paid for. Were your airbags disabled or removed as a result of the Takata recall? Did Tesla disable your vehicle's steering as a response to the steering bolt recall?

The cost of a Model S replacement pack is over $20,000. Tesla removed upwards of 10% or more range from owners' cars. If nothing else, that is a $2,000 value Tesla has just remotely beamed out of your car, without your knowledge and permission. If you're okay with that, you are far wealthier and more understanding than I.

blah blah blah blah blah

And Tesla dropped the price of my model significantly, "remotely beamed" the value out of my car.
I'm sorry, crap happens.
Sale it.
As folks have seen, complaining about it only clutters the newsgroups.

I'm sorry, but that's how some recalls work.

blah blah blah blah blah

And Tesla dropped the price of my model significantly, "remotely beamed" the value out of my car.
I'm sorry, crap happens.
Sale it.
As folks have seen, complaining about it only clutters the newsgroups.

No it is not. The key component, which both you and Tesla are missing apparently, is the safety issue must be acknowledged and disclosed. Not covered up with a software update.

That has yet to happen, hence the reason the NHTSA is investigating Tesla.

Reactions: Spacey73 and SSedan
Anyone notice it's mainly Model 3 owners who just bought their shiny new car disagreeing with what can only be blatant evidence of Software Update shenanigans.

Pay 3 times the price for a model 3 and then have the same abilities taken away without notice from you....still feel the same.

Group tribal mentality is an odd thing.

Reactions: glide