Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am currently driving a SR+, can I downgrade to SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The partial premium power seats could be important to some people.
They could feel power seats are equivalent to power windows and door locks. And manual seats are like manual windows and manual locks.

And in Florida, you don't need heated seats.

We have to have open mind about people choosing different options when buying a car.

SR was advertised to have manual cloth seats and that could have been a major turn off for some people.

Now SR come with power seats with leatherette material.
I agree everyone has different variables to the question, but if you're willing to get the price difference back and essentially get SR (all SR+ features stripped away) why didn't you just buy a SR to begin with? Buyers remorse, or people are doing it just because they can. Doesn't make sense to me. And I just mentioned the heated seats because OP mentioned winter.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I agree everyone has different variables to the question, but if you're willing to get the price difference back and essentially get SR (all SR+ features stripped away) why didn't you just buy a SR to begin with? Buyers remorse, or people are doing it just because they can. Doesn't make sense to me. And I just mentioned the heated seats because OP mentioned winter.
SR originally had cloth manual seats for $35000.
I am guessing many people bought SR+ because of power leatherette seats for $37500.

Now.

If they downgrade to SR, THEY GET $2500 BACK AND FINAL PRICE BECOMES $35000.
BUT THEY HAVE POWER SEATS WITH LEATHERETTE MATERIAL.

sorry for yelling.

SR originally was supposed to come with basic audio, manual seats, 5.6 sec 0-60 and 20 miles of less range. You can instead get the same interior and the same range with 2k back in your pocket. The math for purchasing a SR isn't the same anymore.

SR originally was supposed to come with basic audio, manual seats, 5.6 sec 0-60 and 20 miles of less range. You can instead get the same interior and the same range with 2k back in your pocket. The math for purchasing a SR isn't the same anymore.
Now now.. Same range is stretching a little.
if you charge SR and SR+ to 100% for a long trip, you will get 220 miles vs 240 miles.

Also, In my case SR+ cost $2500 more than SR.

I am not downgrading because
1. I need heated seats.
2. I need 5.3 sec. I will die if I have 5.6 sec Tesla.
3. I am afraid I would lose driver memory seat profile software also with the downgrade. I already have 5 settings stored. It is incredible. The most I have had on other cars is 3 settings. This is like having infinite number of alarms on Apple watch vs only 5 alarms on Casio G-Shock.

SR originally had cloth manual seats for $35000.
I am guessing many people bought SR+ because of power leatherette seats for $37500.

Now.

If they downgrade to SR, THEY GET $2500 BACK AND FINAL PRICE BECOMES $35000.
BUT THEY HAVE POWER SEATS WITH LEATHERETTE MATERIAL.

sorry for yelling.
No ones going to spend that much extra for SR+ just for a partial leatherette seat. Pretty sure everything else that came along with it convinced people. Just read the article again and it just says Tesla will refund the difference. So if that's the case you literally get free partial seats. That's pretty good I guess if you don't care for the SR+ features (again why buy it in the first place) but also sounds like a loophole for people to abuse.

Now now.. Same range is stretching a little.
if you charge SR and SR+ to 100% for a long trip, you will get 220 miles vs 240 miles.
Not really. No one charges to 100% (unless going on a trip) to protect the longevity of the battery. With an SR you can charge to 100% with little worry since it's software locked. And when the battery naturally degrades you won't see any range loss till the total degradation exceeds 10%.

Reactions: Retaw
Not really. No one charges to 100% (unless going on a trip) to protect the longevity of the battery. With an SR you can charge to 100% with little worry since it's software locked. And when the battery naturally degrades you won't see any range loss till the total degradation exceeds 10%.
How did they handle software locked batteries on the Model S? Maybe as the battery degrades so does % available to use.

No ones going to spend that much extra for SR+ just for a partial leatherette seat. Pretty sure everything else that came along with it convinced people. Just read the article again and it just says Tesla will refund the difference. So if that's the case you literally get free partial seats. That's pretty good I guess if you don't care for the SR+ features (again why buy it in the first place) but also sounds like a loophole for people to abuse.

I ponied up $2500 for heated seats.
Real story.

I ended up falling in love with other features of SR+ but what made me decide on SR+ was the heated front seats.
I asked Tesla before making the decision and they confirmed SR would not come with heated seats.
I even tweeted to Elon about it. I posted on forums about it. I whined and whined about not being able to buy heated seats for $500 like BMW/MINI or other companies' cold weather pkg.
Real story.

I can easily see people ponying up $2500 for upgraded material.
Cloth seats do soak up smell and dust.

I have charged to 100% per Owner's manual and I will again whenever I need to.

Also 10% of number of total cells are locked on SR.
not 10% of the capacity in each cell.
same damage will be done if you charge to 100% on a SR.
You will have degraded 90% number of cells and 10% of pristine cells after you damage 90% of the batteries.

Keep the SR+.

Attachments

• 4bUV7Ls.gif
    4bUV7Ls.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
I ponied up $2500 for heated seats.
Real story.

I ended up falling in love with other features of SR+ but what made me decide on SR+ was the heated front seats.
I asked Tesla before making the decision and they confirmed SR would not come with heated seats.
I even tweeted to Elon about it. I posted on forums about it. I whined and whined about not being able to buy heated seats for $500 like BMW/MINI or other companies' cold weather pkg.
Real story.

I can easily see people ponying up $2500 for upgraded material.
Cloth seats do soak up smell and dust.
I'm glad they don't offer a "cold weather package" I hate the way Germans have packages for every little add-on. It streamlines Teslas production line and more revenue for them. Also, I doubt there are a lot of people like in your case that pony up that much just for ONE feature. I could be wrong..

I'm glad they don't offer a "cold weather package" I hate the way Germans have packages for every little add-on. It streamlines Teslas production line and more revenue for them. Also, I doubt there are a lot of people like in your case that pony up that much just for ONE feature. I could be wrong..
that's what Tesla is doing now.
offering cold weather pkg.
because the seats have the heating element in SR already, if you pay for heated seats they will activate the software.
They should offer more things that way as long as it is only software that can be activated over internet after delivery.
more income for Tesla and happier buyers.
Another pkg i am pushing for is performance upgrade pkg (quicker 0-60 times) which will be activated by software only without any hardware changes.

Since these are all only software activated, the production line is still streamlined.

ON Tesla's blog, An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup
If Tesla allows for downgrade on already delivered SR+, my fellow SR+ owners, would you do it?

No, I’m very happy with my M3S+ And the extra features and extra mileage it comes with. No way in hell I would downgrade.

Will be posting a San Diego to Las Vegas Vlog next week with this ride hitting most of the Superchargers on the way up there. Also getting the Front end, rocker panel, side mirrors and back wrapped with Xpel. Will post pics on that as well.

Fred

I have charged to 100% per Owner's manual and I will again whenever I need to.

Also 10% of number of total cells are locked on SR.
not 10% of the capacity in each cell.
same damage will be done if you charge to 100% on a SR.
You will have degraded 90% number of cells and 10% of pristine cells after you damage 90% of the batteries.

Keep the SR+.
Do you have any evidence supporting "Also 10% of number of total cells are locked on SR." or is it pure speculation?

Do you have any evidence supporting "Also 10% of number of total cells are locked on SR." or is it pure speculation?
It is my theory.
If the software lock is like the other guy is saying....
When you charge to 80% for daily use, you are charging up to 72% of the real full capacity.
It has been documented that repeatedly charging below 90% throws off the system and the range gets miscalculated due to the system being unable to balance the cells properly. The remedy is to drain the battery to 20% and charge to 100% a couple of times.
This remedy would not be available to SR.

Otoh, if my theory is right, the system only has to keep the locked up batteries happy at 50% charge at all times. Just in case the user decides to buy the locked up cells.

It is my theory.
If the software lock is like the other guy is saying....
When you charge to 80% for daily use, you are charging up to 72% of the real full capacity.
It has been documented that repeatedly charging below 90% throws off the system and the range gets miscalculated due to the system being unable to balance the cells properly. The remedy is to drain the battery to 20% and charge to 100% a couple of times.
This remedy would not be available to SR.

Otoh, if my theory is right, the system only has to keep the locked up batteries happy at 50% charge at all times. Just in case the user decides to buy the locked up cells.
Haven't seen anybody else claiming the lock is 90% cell instead of allowing to charge all cell to 90%. Sounds like you are making up stuff and take it as a fact.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333