Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydroplaned and crashed. Driving for 50 years. Never happened before.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The same thing happened to us last night on 680N in Sunol. I was driving around 60. My car only had 21k miles on it. The car lost control and hit the barrier twice. We had a 5 year old with us.

This definitely calls for a lawsuit against Tesla. All other cars were driving fine in the rain.
What is the tire tread depth? At 21k miles on a heavy EV I assume depth was not the best. Was the car going straight or were you in a curve? Was the water in a dip? Were you driving according to road and weather conditions? Were you passing another car that may have been creating a wake or covering your windshield with water? Did other cars hydroplane? What actions did you take during this incident? Just a detail or two would help us understand and possibly avoid a similar accident. With 20 20 hindsight, what would you've done differently to avoid this accident?

Last edited:
What is the tire tread depth? At 21k miles on a heavy EV I assume depth was not the best. Was the car going straight or were you in a curve? Was the water in a dip? Were you driving according to road and weather conditions? Were you passing another car that may have been creating a wake or covering your windshield with water? Did other cars hydroplane? What actions did you take during this incident? Just a detail or two would help us understand and possibly avoid a similar accident. With 20 20 hindsight, what would you've done differently to avoid this accident?
Valid questions, but at the end of the day I don't think any of that matters. If you're hydroplaning, you went too fast for the current conditions. At 60 mph you were certainly pushing it. I'm sorry if it sounds condescending, but instead of blaming Tesla for putting a 5 yo at danger when you were the one electing to go 60 mph in heavy rain you may want to sit down a minute and reflect on your own actions.
There's a pretty good article here if you want to give it a read:

The same thing happened to us last night on 680N in Sunol. I was driving around 60. My car only had 21k miles on it. The car lost control and hit the barrier twice. We had a 5 year old with us.

This definitely calls for a lawsuit against Tesla. All other cars were driving fine in the rain.

This almost seems like a troll account.

You lost control in the rain, not the car. Hydroplaning is about tread design, tire wear, speed, weight, and water depth. Nothing about the car has anything to do with it. Sounds like you were driving too fast for conditions, which we’ve all done. None of us are perfect, and it sucks that you were in an accident.

The best way to handle this is to accept responsibility for screwing up, like we all have, and move on. You can try to lawyer up if you want to add (financial) insult to injury.

I'm sorry about your accident.

Situational awareness. ANY tires, especially wide, low aspect ratio tires, with 21k miles on them, have dramatically reduced traction. Period. If you don't understand this, you should do some research on tires, and why Discount Tires, Costco, Firestone, et al feel that 4/32" tread depth is deficient. The laws of physics prevail.

Operator error here. You put yourself, your wife, AND your 5-year-old at risk.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I stuck a fork into one of the electrical outlets in the living room yesterday and got a shock. This definitely calls for a lawsuit against the maker of the outlet. All other people were doing fine sitting in the living room.
Definitely a troll. No way can you fit a fork into an electrical outlet. 🤪 🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.