Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC Fan and Door Handle Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!

I purchased a used 2015 85kWh Model S with ~41K miles earlier this year direct from Tesla. I have loved every mile I have put on the car and even the trips to the service center have been relatively hassle-free in my experience. However, there is one issue that has plagued the car that the SC cannot seem to resolve or even replicate. In addition, an issue with my door handles has just come up and I am wanting to get some feedback from others

Squeaky Fans - I have searched earlier posts and it appears that the HVAC fan at the front of the vehicle sounding really "squeaky" at power down, almost like a hamster wheel that hasn't been lubricated, seems to be pretty common. Most of the threads are older and state that the SCs have tried fixed that ultimately ended with the issue coming back or getting worse.

In addition, from the inside I can hear a similar noise when I am driving that is very similar and it sounds as if it's coming from right behind the MCU. I know it's an HVAC fan because the noise stops when I turn off the A/C. It's also intermittent so of course when I take it in, the noise cannot be replicated. I have sent Tesla videos of these issues and they noted that in my previous visit they cleared "debris" from around that area. Alas, the issue still exists.

Door Handle Issue - Something else that just popped up recently is my driver's door handle not opening the door despite pulling on it with varying degrees of force. It's hit or miss and does not seem to be caused by anything I could definitively narrow it down to.

Click here for the videos.

Has anyone else had these issues and how did the SC fix them for good?
Thank you! :)

Yes. 17’ S75D. The squeal as the HVAC fan makes the final couple turns was easily replicable and I took a video. SC replaced the fan indicating a bearing was failing and while perfect for several months since, I am starting to notice a faint repeat again on spool down.

Behind the dash I had a inlet actuator go out accompanied by a loud knocking prior to replacement. There was no squeak in this area.

By 17’ most door handle issues have been sorted and mine have been flawless.

Reactions: Viridian
Fan noise --> turn up the radio

Door handles --> right of passage to Model S ownership. You need new microswitches in the handle, a pro SC tech can do this whole job in 20 minutes.

You didn't mention if you're still on warranty... but with 2015 you'd be closing in on that soon.

Get these serviced before you fall off.

Fan noise --> turn up the radio

Door handles --> right of passage to Model S ownership. You need new microswitches in the handle, a pro SC tech can do this whole job in 20 minutes.

You didn't mention if you're still on warranty... but with 2015 you'd be closing in on that soon.

Get these serviced before you fall off.

If this car was bought from Tesla it would have a 4 year/50k used vehicle warranty.